Video Gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry where over two (2) billion video game titles have been sold. Below, we examine the top twenty five best selling video games of all time including a title that sold over 20 million copies. Some of these games will surprise you. (The sales of games listed below represent independent sales of packaged games, for example packaged with Nintendo Super Mario Bros. sold 40 million copies. This list includes international sales.)
1. PokÃ©mon Red, Blue and Green
Gameboy - 20.08 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon Red and PokÃ©mon Blue are the first two installments of the PokÃ©mon series of role-playing video games, first released for the Game Boy in Japan in 1996, later released to the rest of the world in 1998 (North America) and 1999 (Europe and Australia).
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
Nintendo - 18 Million Copies Sold
- Super Mario Bros. 3 was the last major Mario video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was released on October 23, 1988 in Japan, February 12, 1990 in North America, and August 29, 1991 in Europe.
3. The Sims
PC - 16 Million Copies Sold
- The Sims is a strategic life-simulation computer game published by Maxis, and distributed by Electronic Arts. It is a simulation of the daily activities of one or more virtual persons ("Sims") in a suburban household near SimCity. The game was first released on February 4, 2000,
Nintendo DS - 14.75 Million Copies Sold
- Nintendogs is a pet simulation video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console. It was first released in Japan on April 21, 2005, and was later released in North America and Singapore on August 22, 2005.
5. PokÃ©mon Gold and Silver
Gameboy - 14.1 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon Gold and PokÃ©mon Silver are two Game Boy Color video games. Released in 2000, these games started the second generation of the vastly popular PokÃ©mon video game series.
6. Super Mario Land
Gameboy - 14 Million Copies Sold
- Super Mario Land is a video game developed by Nintendo for the Game Boy video game console. It debuted in Japan on April 21, 1989 and in the United States in August, 1989. Along with Alleyway, Super Mario Land marks Mario's first appearance on the Game Boy and is the first true Mario game for the handheld game console.
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Playstation 2 - 13 Million Copies Sold
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is a sandbox-style action-adventure computer and video game designed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games.
PokÃ©mon Ruby and Sapphire
Game Boy Advance - 13 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon Ruby and PokÃ©mon Sapphire, released in Japan as Pocket Monsters Ruby and Pocket Monsters Sapphire, released on March 17, 2003 in North America for the Game Boy Advance, mark the beginning of the third generation in the PokÃ©mon series of RPGs.
PC - 13 Million Copies Sold
- The Sims 2 is a strategic life simulation computer game developed by Maxis and published by Electronic Arts. It is the sequel to the best-selling computer game to date, The Sims. The game was released on September 17, 2004.
10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Playstation 2 - 12 Million Copies Sold
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is a sandbox-style action-adventure computer and video game developed by Rockstar North. It is the third 3D game in the Grand Theft Auto video game franchise and fifth original game overall.
11. Super Mario 64
Nintendo 64 - 11 Million Copies Sold
- Super Mario 64 is a top-selling platform game developed by Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 64. It debuted in Japan on June 23, 1996, in North America on September 29, 1996,
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Playstation 2 - 11 Million Copies Sold
- Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec is a racing game, the first in the Gran Turismo series to hit the PlayStation 2. Gran Turismo 2000 was the working name used when demonstrated at E3 2000/2001.
Grand Theft Auto III
Playstation 2 - 11 Million Copies Sold
- Grand Theft Auto III (abbreviated as GTA III or GTA3) is a sandbox-style action-adventure computer and video game developed by DMA Design (now Rockstar North), and published by Rockstar Games. It is the first 3D title in the Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series and the third original title overall. It was released in October 2001 for the PlayStation 2 video game console.
14. PokÃ©mon FireRed and LeafGreen
Game Boy Advance - 10.66 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon FireRed and PokÃ©mon LeafGreen, are two titles in the PokÃ©mon video game series, released for the Game Boy Advance in 2004. The games were released on January 29, 2004.
15. New Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo DS - 10.52 Million Copies Sold
- New Super Mario Bros. is a side-scrolling platforming video game published and developed by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console. The game was first released in North America on May 15, 2006.
16. Gran Turismo
Playstation 1 - 10.5 Million Copies Sold
- Gran Turismo (commonly abbreviated to GT or GT1) is a racing game designed for the Playstation 1. Gran Turismo was developed by Polyphony Digital and first published by Sony Computer Entertainment in 1997.
17. PokÃ©mon Diamond and Pearl
Nintendo DS - 10 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon Diamond and PokÃ©mon Pearl are a pair of role-playing video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendo - 10 Million Copies Sold
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (often shortened as Super Mario 2 and abbreviated SMB2) is a platforming video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. It was released in North America in October 1988.
19. Final Fantasy VII
Playstation 1 - 9.8 Million Copies Sold
- Final Fantasy VII is a console role-playing game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix), and the seventh installment in the Final Fantasy video game series. It was released in 1997.
PC - 9.5 Million Copies Sold
- StarCraft is a real-time strategy game by Blizzard Entertainment. It was initially released for Microsoft Windows in 1998. A Mac OS version of the game was released in 1999, and a port to the Nintendo 64 was released in 2000.
21. World of Warcraft
PC - 9 Million Copies Sold
- World of Warcraft is a pay-to-play massively multiplayer online role-playing game. It is Blizzard Entertainment's fourth game set in the fantasy Warcraft universe, first introduced by Warcraft: Orcs & Humans in 1994
22. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
Nintendo DS - 8.61 Million Copies Sold
- Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!, also known as Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? in Europe and Australia is a puzzle video game published and developed by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console.
23. Gran Turismo 2
Playstation 1 - 8.5 Million Copies Sold
- Gran Turismo 2 (commonly abbreviated to GT2) is a racing game for the Sony PlayStation. Gran Turismo 2 was developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment in 1999. The games serves as a sequel to Gran Turismo.
24. Mario Kart 64
Nintendo 64 - 8.47 Million Copies Sold
- Mario Kart 64 is a racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 64 video game console. It was released on December 14, 1996 in Japan, February 10, 1997 in North America, and June 24, 1997 in Europe.
25. Halo 2
XBox - 8 Million Copies Sold
- Halo 2 is a science fiction, first-person shooter developed by Bungie Studios. Released for the Xbox game console on November 9, 2004, the game is the sequel to the blockbuster Halo: Combat Evolved.
Donkey Kong Country
Super Nintendo - 8 Million Copies Sold
- Donkey Kong Country, released in Japan as Super Donkey Kong, is a video game developed by Rare, featuring the popular arcade character, Donkey Kong. It was released for the SNES and Super Famicom in 1994.
Super Mario Kart
Super Nintendo - 8 Million Copies Sold
- Super Mario Kart is the first video game in the Mario Kart series, released in 1992 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Players race go-karts as one of eight characters from the Super Mario Bros. series.
Nintendo 64 - 8 Million Copies Sold
- GoldenEye 007 is a 1997 first-person shooter video game developed by Rareware for the Nintendo 64 video game console, and based on the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye.
Game Boy - 8 Million Copies Sold
- PokÃ©mon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition is the fourth game in the PokÃ©mon video game series in Japan, and the third in North America and Europe. The game was released in Japan on September 12, 1998 and is known as Pocket Monsters Pikachu. It was released in North America on October 1, 1999 and was called PokÃ©mon: Special Pikachu Edition by Nintendo.