Forums / Gun Discussion / “National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012” introduced in US Senate

4 years 37 weeks ago, 7:39 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Today, March 13, U.S. Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia) introduced S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012.” The bill is the Senate companion to H. R. 822, which was approved by the U. S. House last November by a vote of 272-154.

S. 2188, like H.R. 822, would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed handgun in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. A state's laws governing where concealed handguns may be carried would apply within its borders.

Today 49 states either issue carry permits or otherwise authorize law-abiding people to carry firearms outside the home for self-defense. 41 states have fair “shall issue” permit systems that allow any law-abiding person to get a permit.

In contrast to dire predictions from anti-gun groups, Right-to-Carry laws have been enormously successful. Interstate reciprocity will serve as a fundamental protection of the right to self-defense by providing people with the ability to protect themselves not only in their home states, but anywhere they travel where carry concealed carry is legal.

Contrary to the false claims of some, these bills would not create federal gun registration or gun owner licensing, nor would they allow any federal agency to establish a federal standard for a carry permit or impose gun control restrictions of any kind.

These bills would have no effect on permitless carry laws, currently on the books in Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming and Vermont, that allow concealed carry without a permit. In addition, Vermont residents would be able to take advantage of S. 2188 and H.R. 822 by obtaining a permit from one of the many states that offer non-resident permits.

Please contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to cosponsor S. 2188. You can call your U.S. Senators at 202-224-3121

4 years 37 weeks ago, 7:46 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
This is awesome!

This is something we should've had from the beginning. Glad to see people, especially two Democratic senators, in the Congress are starting to take the 2nd Amendment seriously.

4 years 37 weeks ago, 7:50 AM

daisycutter

daisycutter's picture

General of the Army

`

iyaoyas
4 years 37 weeks ago, 7:57 AM

MattyTheJet

MattyTheJet's picture

Lieutenant General
Don't get used to it.

It's not going to happen very often.

4 years 37 weeks ago, 10:23 AM

daisycutter

daisycutter's picture

General of the Army

see things going our way just a little more often as he spirals into a crash & burn in November.
"Keep the redneck riffraff appeased til we win the erection".
I'm going to enjoy the thought as I go out mowing my yard now :<)
Later

iyaoyas
4 years 37 weeks ago, 11:48 AM

jay sedler

jay sedler's picture

Lieutenant General

looks like good news to me.i wonder how long the libs will let it be before they attack it though ( brady bunch impression here) "see our chart? gun violence is waaay up since this new reciprocity thingy happened...not to mention crime in general,and were pretty sure it contributes to global warming and rising gas prices"

CRY HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war!
4 years 37 weeks ago, 11:51 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
the 2nd ammendment

is the national reciprocity act,hello,is this thing turned on? hello? again whats the issue here? oh yeah validation of what we already have,only given to us again,is that right? fuck 'em and the horse they rode in on.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 36 weeks ago, 8:30 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
2nd Amendment

A-fucking-men

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
4 years 37 weeks ago, 12:19 PM

jay sedler

jay sedler's picture

Lieutenant General

I'm with you lucky.we had a good thread on the subject of permit less constitutional carry.i am always on the side of the founding fathers words,unchanged unimpeded,untampered,and unpopular as they may presently be,they are the only words protecting us.we all know the modern politicians,police,and even most citizens are of little or no help.

CRY HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war!
4 years 37 weeks ago, 12:47 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

i'll choose the citizens,I'm more of a libertarian anarchist myself,sure things might go to hell but it will be my hell.but then again maybe not.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 34 weeks ago, 8:40 AM

moedizzl3

moedizzl3's picture

Colonel

this is great except for people that live in communist New Jersey i would be able to carry every where but my own state but im 100% behind this bill its a step in the right direction no pun intended lol

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission. ~John F. Kennedy~
4 years 34 weeks ago, 9:00 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

We have to fight to get back a unalienable right...

If you take any place in the USA where Gun Restrictions are the heaviest you will discover that Crimes with Firearms are not done away with.

Chicago at one point in time had the Police cordon off something like a 10 block area every Halloween, New Years and such because of the kiddies in the Hood shooting their converted AK, UZI's, Cobray Mac 10 and Tec 9's into the air and such.

They actually gave up on trying to go in and take them....

Canada has firearm crimes and the use of Knifes and Blunt Weapons went way up after their ban on carry.

It's not only boggling in my opinion, but bordering *tarded* to think that we have to now fight for a right that was given as part of the foundation of this Nations Creation.

It's bullshit that they think they have a right to confer and reconsider the intent and meaning of words that are very clear. They also had no expiration date attached to them....

One can only hope that at some point in time the most vocal of them will find they have a voice but it falls upon dead ears to what they have to say.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 503 (1 member and 502 guests)
tallguy007

Users Active within the last 24 hours
tallguy007, teko52, jf.chandler sr., hendrickseric1116
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,899, Comments: 163,329, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity