Forums / Gun Discussion / $$1911$$

1 year 22 weeks ago, 5:31 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
$$1911$$

So what is a good price to pay for one new?brand?what to look for? PLUS it would be a new time user.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
1 year 22 weeks ago, 9:33 PM

coppertop

coppertop's picture

Major General

Well, 1911's can run all the way from $400 on up as far as you are willing to pay. I've got a Springfield armory loaded lightweight and paid around $850 new. I like mine just fine and the only problems have been with certain mags. Buy Wilson combats and you won't go wrong. What's the best 1911 will start a ford vs. Chevy like debate. I have never shot a kimber but it seems like a love hate thing. I've heard good things about sigs. Of course Colts are the granddaddy of 1911's. on the lower end, rock islands have some good reports and Taurus has come a long way. If you have several grand to throw at it, Les Baer and Wilson combat will make you smile. As for what to look for, I stayed away from milspec and got one with all the bells and whistles. There are those who think the handgun begins and ends with the 1911. It's a great platform that has stood the test of time, is it worth the extra cost, weight, and lower capacity, well that is for each person to decide.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 10:02 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General

Coopertop is on the money there with what he's telling you. I would like to add that if you wanted to shoot for a pricepoint somwhere between the price and quality of a sprinfield vs. a Les Baer or Wilson, you may want to look at Dan Wesson. Excellent quality for their pricepoint. More expensive than a Colt or Springer, but more affordable than Les Baer/Wilson, and with excellent quality.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 3:23 AM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
very good imfo

THANK YOU .....................

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
1 year 22 weeks ago, 10:30 PM

upshot

upshot's picture

Major
My .02

I have a Rock Island Tactical and a TCM, and 1911s by Colt, Kimber, Para Ordnance, and Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson is by far the best built, and also the most accurate of the bunch. The only one I wouldn't buy again is Para. The best bargain by far was the Rock Island, the Tactical is a few dollars more than the GI but I think it's worth it. Had mine for several years of fairly regular use and it hasn't given me any trouble, not fussy about ammo or mags. They can be had for not much more than $400, for a starter 1911 I dont think you will do better.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 6:36 AM

coppertop

coppertop's picture

Major General
TCM

How do you like that one? The .22 TCM intrigues me. I've heard that it is better than the 5.7, what are your thoughts?

1 year 22 weeks ago, 3:11 PM

upshot

upshot's picture

Major
2100 FPS

Out of a 5" 1911 that holds 18 rounds, what's not to like. I've shot quite a bit of the factory ammo over my chronograph, an honest 2100 +/-, have seen a couple get close to 2200 and nothing under 2000. It has a very light recoil spring so the slide is very easy to rack and the recoil is very light, but makes lots of noise and muzzle flash, and will almost shoot through 1/4" mild steel. Comes with a 9mm barrel too but I haven't tried that yet. I've never shot the FN so I can't compare the two, other than to say that the TCM is much cheaper and ammo has been available from a couple sources for as little as 18.50 a box. Armscor is making a bolt action rifle chambered in the TCM that uses the pistol magazines, scheduled to be out this summer.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 6:48 PM

coppertop

coppertop's picture

Major General
TCM

Is this a gun and round that you trust for self defense and carry? I really like having the option for the 9mm. This might have to move to the top of the list to get. Thanks for the info.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 9:16 PM

upshot

upshot's picture

Major
Yes, but...

I have about 600 rounds through it so far and the gun works fine, so I don't have any problems along those lines, but it is a double stack 5" 1911, which for me is too big to conceal, YMMV. As far as a defense round, go to YouTube and see what it will do to a watermellon. In one video someone shot a big piece of pork with a 9mm, 45acp, and a TCM, the TCM appeared to do more damage than either of the other two. I have a retired friend who wants a self defense gun but like a lot of seniors has lost enough hand strength that racking most semi auto slides is difficult for him. I showed my TCM to him and he loved it, he will probably get one. It's like the best of both worlds, muzzle energy similar to a 45acp but shoots like a 22mag.

I'm not sure how much longer they will be shipping them with the 9mm barrel. Armscor is adding two commander length TCMs, single and double stack, and neither of them will come with the extra barrel. They say it will be available but not included.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 10:46 PM

coppertop

coppertop's picture

Major General

I've got a glock 21 so a large grip is not a problem for me. Weight is an issue but I have a few carry options for 1911's and could make it work in certain situations. Of course finding reasons to get a gun is not my problem. It's getting it passed my wife.

1 year 22 weeks ago, 7:47 PM

upshot

upshot's picture

Major
I weighed it

Fully loaded TCM is just over 2lb 14oz, by comparison my RI full size 1911 with full mag is just under 2lb 14oz, only about 6 tenths of an ounce lighter than the TCM. 40gr as opposed to 230gr, more bullets but less lead.

The double stack frame is only slightly bigger than the single stack, if you can get your mitts around a Glock 21, you wont have any trouble with one of these. I'm not big, I wear a small to medium size glove, and it fits me fine.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1004 (0 members and 1004 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,639, Comments: 160,797, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity