Forums / Gun Discussion / 1911 Mags

4 years 1 week ago, 9:10 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
1911 Mags

I may know someone who has a few extra 1911 mags that he will sell me. Im not gonna swear to it but he is into 1911 pistols. My question is will any 1911 style mags fit my 1911? For example will a Colt 1911 mag fit my Para-Ordnance 1911? Springfeild GI 1911 mags? Or even Kimber 1911 mags? I am not sure what 1911's he has but as I just talked to him this morning. If those mags will fit mine then I may be able to grab at least 2 extra mags.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
4 years 1 week ago, 9:43 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Extra Mags

IMHO, are ALWAYS a good idea. I don't know enough about your Para-Ordnance, so I will ask a couple of questions.

1) I believe you said it came with two mags, How many rounds do your mags hold?

2) If they hold 8 rounds, does the mag extend past the grip and by how much?

I ask these questions for this reason; If your mags hold 8 rounds and don't extend past the grip, then your grip may be too long for the Colt and any other mags that only hold 7. If you can, take your 1911 to your buddy and check them out. Before I did anything, I would at the least compare mags side by side. Compare lengths, compare widths, and heights. Finally if every thing looks the same, slide one in carefully. You don't want to get one hung in a weapon that it doesn't fit. If it fits, and then releases ok, check to see that the top round is in position to go forward into the chamber and won't be caught by the slide and mangled. I would do this with ONLY one round in the mag, no need to damage other rounds if the mag is not tall enough to properly position the next round to be chambered. I don't know that you could damage a lower round, but no use taking the chance.

I believe that the colt and kimber mags are pretty close and MIGHT interchange with each other, but I'm not sure about that, and I don't know if they will interchange with your Para. Also, several years ago, Colt built a pistol that was called the "Combat Commander." I'm not sure if they still build it, but this particular model was slightly shorter and ONLY held 5 rounds in the mag. I THINK (I'm not sure, just seems like my friend that had a Combat Commander told me) that standard 1911 mags would fit but they hung down below the grip. However, Combat Commander mags would not fit the standard model 1911, they were too short.

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
4 years 1 week ago, 10:09 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
RandyMc

Yes my Para came with 2 flimsy ass mags...feels like sheet metal and plastic lol

Yes my mags hold 8 so apparently no use tryin standard colt 1911 mags.

No my mags do not extend below the grip.

I would have to have 1911 mags that hold at least 8 rounds.

I may have to order after market mags like Combat wilson...however I dont know if they sell mags but they do sell the guide rod I am wanting though.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
4 years 1 week ago, 10:22 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
MecGAR....

http://mec-gar.com/mags/mgcg4508spf.html

you want Stainless Mags... they hold up longer....

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 1 week ago, 10:30 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
ISD

Basically thats what I have. I am lookin for and all metal mag,floor plate and all being metal even the "Guts" of the mag. I have been keepin a secret and tryin not to complain but my mags that I have for my 1911 are already givin me feedin issues.

4 years 1 week ago, 2:38 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
snake

how many rounds have you fired thru your gun now? Have you shot with anyone else yet or just shooting solo?Might be a bit early to blame your mags on feeding issues,your Para will definately have a 300+ round break in period and there is the possibility that your grip needs some work,a number of things to look at in your stance and presentation of your firearm.There are a number of videos on youtube that you can watch that might be helpful.If those are factory mags i would not count them out yet,although having about 4 mags on hand and loaded is a good idea for any magazine fed weapon,that way you can number your mags,load them,shoot them,and if you have an issue record what number mag it was,repeat and see when you get the next issue,is it in the same number mag? then you might have an issue with your magazine.FTE are generally attributed to a weak grip.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 1 week ago, 10:35 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Springfield Armory...

best I have seen, all stainless....

and heavy enough steel that the feed lips don't warp...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 1 week ago, 10:39 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General

I will check into it. Thanks pal.

4 years 1 week ago, 10:56 PM

Larry Wagner

Larry Wagner's picture

Lieutenant General
Evening Fellas

How's everyone been??

Any day above dirt is a good day!!! My New Motto: Where Do I Sign? (Oh yes I would)
4 years 1 week ago, 11:15 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
mags

Well I don't really know about para but in others clones I have they all work. I like chip McCormick. Power mags. They work in my sig. and ria. They also still make the combat commander. This simply was to designate a stainless frame and 4.25 barrel length as compared to the original commander which had an alloy frame and a 4.25 barrel.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:35 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Mags

Snake, You can probably find some good ones somewhere around you. Yes, you might have to order some, but before you do, check the listings. Most of the sites I have seen on the web that have mags for sale, list which makes they fit. Be careful if you go somewhere like Ebay and are buying them from an individual online. I think, (haven't been to Ebay in a long time) that they may have some regular sellers on there who are actual gun shops. They will usually list a "buy it now" price and sometimes even tell you how many they have in stock. I would recommend if you are buying online, look at places like cheaper than dirt or maybe even gander mtn or cabela's. Bass Pro Shops might be another option. I don't think that Academy carries anything for the Para but you might check. You might also check the place where you bought it. I think you said it was a pawn shop, but some pawn shops double as gun shops. You mentioned that yours came in a box, that is rare for a pawned gun. Your seller may be able to find them for you cheaper than you think. Also I would check out some of the suggestions that these other guys have given you. You might find a good deal somewhere that you can't pass up.

Ironmike, will standard colt 1911 mags fit and work in a colt (standard) commander? Or would you need to find mags made for the commander? You guys probably know a lot more than I do on these guns. I have never owned one, but have had lots of friends who did.

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
4 years 1 week ago, 9:54 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
commander mags

Yes. Rmc. The commanders take standard government mags. I have been lucky with mags. I have used chip mcormicks, colt, novak mags. I have used them in 45 acp and 38 super. Just have to find the ones that work in your gun and buy those mags. Same as bullets. The officer model has a 3.5 barrel and a shortened grip. They may be what you were thinking about with the shorter mags.

4 years 1 week ago, 12:13 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
RandyMc

Yes i did buy it at my local pawns shop. And I was not surprised when my 1911 came with a box most of the pistols she has for sale are brand new unfired. The long guns are a different story. My 1911 was new unfired by a consumer. I assume it was tested when built but other than that the lady which I have known ever since I lived in Haysi has always told me the truth never lied once to me. Not to put to fine a point on it but the co owner is a lady that my step dad goes to church with so I trust them both fully when they say a fire arm is new unfired. But anyways getting back to the point I will check the names listed.

4 years 1 week ago, 12:28 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Mags...

IMHO Wilson combat makes the very best... Chip McCormick mags suck ASS!!! have 3 or 4 and none of them feed right.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
4 years 1 week ago, 12:31 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Well I just may

Order the mags fro wilso combat when I order the full length Guide rod for my 1911.

4 years 1 week ago, 12:31 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Randy

One thing that we need to clarify, before someone (like myself) gets confussed.... I am not familiar with the Colt Commaned, but sounds like the officers model... I have a Commodore however, and it is a full size frame, but a shorter barrel and slide. Uses standard 1911 mags.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
4 years 1 week ago, 12:36 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Wilson Combat

I use the 47D, 47DA, or the 47DC... these will all fit your 1911, only real difference is the size and material of the base pad.

4 years 1 week ago, 12:45 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General

I see the 47DCB is pretty sweet. The site says it will fit virtually all 1911's.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Lo-Pr...

Well in any case I am runin on fumes. Gonna call it a night fellas. I will talk at ya all tomorrow.

4 years 1 week ago, 12:51 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Yeah..

Missed your post where you daid you wanted black, I generally use silver. No real reason, just preference.

4 years 1 week ago, 8:59 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
snake, 1911 mags

Sometimes are hit and miss. Even though my 1911 is supposed to be mil-spec, colt mag don't work properly with it. I could use them, but I couldn't chamber a round and then add a full mag. It wouldn't fit for whatever reason.
I had got me a nice Chip McCormick SS 8 rnd and it work well for a while, but the lips must have gotten bent or otherwise out of shape, b/c it quit stripping a round out.
Sadly, I had the best luck with the cheapest mags. They don't last as long, but when they are working, they work well. Although, I did get some $10 generic mags at a gun show, and they don't lock the slide back when empty.
I just go and get the Springfield mags, and they work well and last long. But I might try that wilson that's supposed to work for almost all 1911s.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
4 years 1 week ago, 10:48 AM

digger49269

digger49269's picture

Private First Class
M1 Garand

I have a M1 garand behnd the bolt says 1945INLAND Division serial # 6733364 on the barre below a flared flash suppressor is stamped INLAND MFG GENERAL MOTORS 1-45 can anybody tell me is this a magazine feed weapon or a top load 10 u clip what is it????????????????????

4 years 1 week ago, 10:56 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
snakes 1911

LBC is right. you need to break it in first. Any feeding problems you experience now, will likely go away after 300-500 rounds. As for mags... Wilson all the way.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 1 week ago, 10:57 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
digger

if its a garand, it uses the top loaded clip

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 1 week ago, 1:24 PM

digger49269

digger49269's picture

Private First Class
top load clip

is that what they call the m2 ball ammo?????????

4 years 1 week ago, 2:51 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General

Watch this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUjswfbNaw&feature=related

4 years 1 week ago, 12:10 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General

I will order me a few mags from wilson combat when $$$ allow.

4 years 1 week ago, 2:29 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
M1 Garand

Is a top fed rifle. Its an 8 shot en bloc clip.

4 years 1 week ago, 10:30 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Ronin,

please realize that I haven't talked to the guy who had that Colt Commander in almost 30 years. We were security guards together at the time and a little later roommates. He got the gun through his dad. I remember that it was made by Colt and looked identical to a government model except that it had a shorter grip and shorter barrel. I remember it because the one time we went shooting together when he carried it, (we actually went shooting together several times but only once did he carry it) I shot it also and I remember that my pinkie finger wrapped around the mag floor plate. This caused some discomfort in shooting it for me because of the recoil. As a result, I didn't particularly care for the gun. I remember that he had borrowed some mags from another friend but they were for a standard 1911 government and were 7 round mags and they hung out of the bottom of the grip.

I could shoot it a little better with them in but was still uncomfortable because there was a size difference and i pinched my little finger between the mag and the bottom of the grip a couple of times (I had actually cut my little finger with the Commander mags). This particular individual had smaller hands than I did at the time and he could grip it better than I could. I remember us talking about the mags for his gun only being 5 rounds rather than 7 because that was when I first learned that the military only recommended loading 5 rounds in the mags. He wanted it because he was a member of the Texas State Guard at the time (NOT the Texas National Guard, that's a regular branch of the military). I asked him about the 5 rounds in the Combat Commander and asked if it should only be loaded with three in the mag. He informed me that the mag used the same spring as the standard 1911 mag so loading it to capacity was not as big of a deal.

On the slide of the pistol was engraved "Combat Commander." It also had the colt "rearing horse" and colt's name. I want to say that it had the smaller hammer like the commander model instead of the spur hammer found on other government models. I did not own the pistol so I don't know all of the details. Also, I haven't been able to find it lately even on Colt's website.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:15 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
combat commander

Rmc..the magazines for the combat commander and the light weight commander are the same as the colt government. They are both still sold by colt. The light weight uses a special colt alloy. The combat commander is all steel. The commander differs from the goverment in that it has a 4.25 inch barrel length. The grip size is the same. The officers size has a 3.5 inch barrel and a shortened grip frame. The officer is no longer available as the defender has essentially replaced it and now the new agent as well. The para commodor is basically a clone of the commander. The original commander was alloy. The steel version was introduced later

4 years 1 week ago, 11:16 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Ironmike

But while the Colt Commander did come in .45 ACP eventually, it was originally designed as a 9mm. But from the description RMC gave, sounds like an Officers model in .45ACP. And he did say it was years ago, and I know they did make them years ago with a smaller frame and slide.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:35 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Ironmike,

The pistol may have been the Officer's Model that you refer to. I'm not sure. I just remember that it had the caption "Combat Commander" and I know that it did have a shortened grip and barrel. It was also blued steel, not stainless or aluminum. It seems to me that it had "Combat" sights with a small ramp on the front and a "V" notch rear sight. I don't remember if the rear was drift adjustable for windage or not, but for some reason I don't think so. Could it be possible that this was actually a precursor to the officer's model. Or it may have even been an early officer's model. I know that he got it new in the box in something like 1980 or 1981. But the model may have been out for a couple of years when he bought it. I also remember it being the first "down-sized" 1911 that I had ever personally seen.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:38 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
I will say this,

the 4.25 inch barrel sounds right. Not the 3.5 inch. Again, I may be wrong about that, but that seems right. It was in .45 ACP.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:40 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
true

I believe you are correct on both counts. I assumed he was not shooting the 9 mm because it was never built on the shorter grip frame until the defender version. He may have also been shooting a concealed carry officers version as these pistols had a light weight aluminum commander slide, the 4.25 barrel, and the shortened grip frame, and only in 45 acp. Yep.. I think that's it.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:52 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
officers 45 acp

The time frames are wrong for the CCO model. Introduced in 1998, but the officers 45 acp was introduced by rock island arsenal in the mid 70s. They were not available to the general public. Demand for the pistols developed and colt introduced this model in 1985 with a 6 round mag in 45 acp.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:55 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Your prob right...

And lets be honest, the colt 1911 was such a popular pistol, I'm sure if you can imagine it, it has been made. LOL! I have seen everything from the .22LR to the .38 super, 9mm, 40SW, and the 45ACP.

4 years 1 week ago, 11:34 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
you speak the truth

For sure

4 years 1 week ago, 11:36 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

1911 lends itself to it...

Coonan 357 magnum is one I would really like to shoot some time....

3 years 51 weeks ago, 8:43 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

on my PPC league

back in the 90s i shot a Coonan 357,Dan Coonan was on the same league as me,he let me run a few rounds thru his gun,pretty damn nice really,both him and the gun.Another guy i shot with,as long as i'm dropping names,is John Paul,President of JP Enterprises,another top shelf guy.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:17 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
coonan

I heard that these guns were going back into production. I will get one if they do.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:26 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
coonan

Well a quick check of the web reveals that they are...just have to find out how long it will take to get one I guess. I don't know though they are between 1200 and 1500..

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:14 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
LBC

What were your impressions of that pistol? I have only read about them.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 3:16 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

ironmike

being a .357 the mag and grip are bigger,thats the biggest difference,otherwise pretty much a 1911,A very nice pistol really,i saw the new ones last summer at a gun show.Still looks good,i don't know if they would chamber a .38 or not,but that would be some cheap practice if they did.I might have to ask the google wizard....snake.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:40 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
LBC

It sounds pretty awesome to me. I guess the 38 super, 357 sig., and. 9X23 have that space covered but I still want one

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:51 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Coonan

LBC sounds like that PPC league would have been a good one. I'll get to shoot one in time, but I would of liked to have been around shooting with ya'll.

I have shot the S&W model 52 .38 wad cutter, it is a sweet shooting pistol, but beyond paper it isn't really worth much. Though I bet a lead wad load would flat slap punch a hole that wouldn't close up.

I've always liked the .357 and have wanted a Dan Wesson and a Dan Coonan... The Wesson is easy, I've seen Four Wesson revolvers in the last year all around $500.00.

Though there is one Full Wesson set that a guy has on display in his gun shop, I'm not sure what he wants for that. All the barrels and the grips in one display type red velvet lined box..

I'll pick up the revolver in the future, seems like there are plenty used ones around town.. But the Coonan, that is a different story. I think it will shoot 38 specials too, so reloading would keep practice prices down for sure.

The different people you meet shooting is kind of wild when you think about it. I've met all kinds of people that other than shooting or attitude of right and wrong, we have nothing in common that would have brought us together as friends.

Retired Base Commanders, SF types, LEO's, Doctors, Tower Climbers, Janitors, Barbers... The mix is diverse and astounding in my opinion....

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:17 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
coonan

Yeah
. I just like the 357. I just think it would be cool in an auto.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 9:41 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

yep

I have always liked the .357 round to,I read Bill Jordans books a long time ago,and the .38 is still an inexpensive round to shoot and reload.When i was shooting PPC,which i did with these guys for 7 years, i was always listening to their stories after the shoot.Hell being elbow to elbow with FBI,SWAT cops,retired FBI,and mechanics,all totally into guns was a blast.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 8:22 AM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Coonan and Wesson

One of the partners at the firm I work for has a Coonan for his CCW. He loves it and won't carry anything else. It is a beautiful weapon and extremely reliable. I shoot my Dan Wesson revolver more than any other gun I own. ISD, have you been to the dan wesson forum? Lots of info there on the revolvers and autos. It would certainly be worth a look if you are in the market for one. LBC, shooting with those guys sounds like a dream for a guy from down here. Thanks for sharing.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
3 years 51 weeks ago, 8:42 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

dam

i wish now i would of never sold my .44 Dan Wesson,BUT,it had some minor timing issues,a couple chambers were just a bit snug to get the casing out(had to really slam the ejector rod thru,factory ammo only went thru the gun) and it needed a trigger job,some stackingFORTUNATELY i sold it to my Bro-in-law so i do get to shoot it when i go to California.He had a gunsmith smooth everything out,so now its a sweet gun.But it did learn me to not sell guns,Ha.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 11:22 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
selling

Yep I had a 15-2 dan wesson pistol pack. I really liked it but the sights had some issues. Then I heard they were going to start making them again. I sold that one and decided that I was going to get one when the new ones came out. I have always been interested in the coonan but some said. That they were not that reliable. I was still interested. I heard rumors that they were going to come back and now apparently they are. Its hard for me because there are so many pistols that I want that are out right now and I don't have the resources to buy them that I had a few years ago.

3 years 51 weeks ago, 11:35 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
bill. jordan

Yes, he is the real deal. He used to talk about ed mcgivern fancy revolver shootong. I got that book. Truly amazing what he was able to do with those 357 pistols. 300,400,500, and longer shots he could make routinely. Amazing.. he said that no cartridge would ever be developed that was capable of so many things and yet very managable too shoot.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 903 (0 members and 903 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,733, Comments: 162,277, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity