Forums / Gun Discussion / 1911 Question

4 years 29 weeks ago, 5:52 PM

New Guy

New Guy's picture

Private First Class
1911 Question

I have only been shooting handguns about a year. I really enjoy it and was thinking of adding a 1911 45 cal. to my collection. There is no place around here that I can rent and try different makes. Looking for your opinions. Preferably in the $1000 range. Thanks

4 years 29 weeks ago, 6:18 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
New Guy

Hello & welcome to the site. I think you'll enjoy it. Lots of great people, with lots of wide & varied experience, lots of excellent information, lots of pictures & videos.

I love 1911's; they're my favorite semiauto. That said, they're not for everyone. You'll see guys on here with considerable knowledge & experience who don't like them at all. Even buying one new, you can get a good one for under $1000 - or, you can drop $2500 or more.
In order to try a 1911, I'd suggest making the rounds of the gunshops & pawnshops in your area to meet people who own 1911's, & ask if they would let you try theirs the first time it would be possible (ask them what ammo they like, & buy a good supply for them. If there are shooting ranges in your area, go to them & try the same thing there. Either way, you'd be shooting a 1911, with the owner right there to demonstrate it for you. You'll be able to make up your own mind as to whether you want one or not.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 29 weeks ago, 8:17 AM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Don't waste the money

on a higher priced 1911....Get the Taurus 1911(about $650)I have shot one along with some of the best(Colt,Kimber,Springfield)and the Taurus will just put them to shame!

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
4 years 29 weeks ago, 10:00 AM

ja0124

ja0124's picture

Colonel
1911's

Much love for this style pistol. Ive got a Colt but the next one i'm looking into is the Taurus pt1911, It is pretty much compation ready right out of the box. Find a range with a good selection of rentals or get with some friends that have different makes and models and check them all out. Plus any range time is good range time have fun.

4 years 29 weeks ago, 1:53 PM

Pkato

Pkato's picture

General
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Welcome

Hey, I must admit, I had never fired a 1911 ever until I was just on vacation in Thailand. I headed to the local range in Pattaya and rented two guns, with 40 rounds of ammunition (it was quite expensive). Anyway, I shot a Glock .45, mainly because I am familiar with glocks and own one (9mm) and I was not disappointed. The glock shot well, plus it was easy to handle because of the familiar feel of it. However, I picked up the 1911, which was a S & W and it felt great in my hand (I have small to medium sized hands), but what most impressed me was how well it shot, I was amazed. I shot 20 rounds out of it, from 15 and 25 yards...I was way more accurate than with the familiar glock. Anyway, I don't have experience with other 1911s,but for my first experience, I was very impressed with the S & W. I looked online since getting back to Iraq and see the S & w 1911s vary in price from 800 - 2200 dollars, so pretty expensive, but the lower end models are still in your price range.

Patrolman Kato
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone
under independence. -- George Washington
4 years 28 weeks ago, 11:55 PM

dodew

dodew's picture

Brigadier General
1911 Smiths

PKato- I have a friend who owns 2 1911 Smiths 1 is full frame and the other 1 is a tactical and both were very accurate out of the box. They have had about 1,000 rounds thru them without any failures yet. I personally own a Colt and a SA 1911 that have had some work done to them and my friends Smiths will shoot with them.

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children live in peace." Thomas Payne- Revolutionist
4 years 29 weeks ago, 2:16 PM

daisycutter

daisycutter's picture

General

Remington, Singer, Thompson, all .45s.
Right now the only one I have is a Thompson. I've had it for about 25 years and k's of rds of ammo thru it. It was the cheapest at the time and also had the lousiest trigger pull of anything I knew of but I had spare Colt parts at home and ater a few minutes it was smooth as silk and very accurate. I had the throat done so it would eat semi-wads with no prob. I have had ZERO problems with the gun. Like I said, I've owned it many years so checking the current reputation would be a good idea.

Price: $575.99
Manufacturer: KAHR ARMS
Manufacturer Item #: 1911PKZ

iyaoyas
4 years 29 weeks ago, 8:07 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
gotta agree with shak

Taurus 1911 is a sweet pistol.....but if you can look at a Kimber also...i shot a few and they are extremly smooth and well made.

...check... G-AZ
4 years 28 weeks ago, 12:45 PM

Pkato

Pkato's picture

General
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Hey dodew

Yes, I was really quite impressed and may purchase one when I get back to the US.

Patrolman Kato
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone
under independence. -- George Washington
4 years 28 weeks ago, 1:20 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
1911's

kimber, colt, springfield, S&W all make good 1911's for under a grand. There are others too, but I would personally look at those brands first.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 828 (0 members and 828 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,639, Comments: 160,789, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity