Forums / Gun Discussion / 1911 Question for the forum gurus

3 years 46 weeks ago, 11:55 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General

I've wondered about this for a while now. What it the point of the half-cock on a 1911? And how can you carry in condition 2?

Was this a carry over from revolvers at the insistence of some Army brass?

Because I can't think of a way to safely lower the hammer on a chambered round. Yeah, it probably won't go off, and I can point the muzzle in a safe direction, but what about my poor thumb if it does?

Anybody know?

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 46 weeks ago, 12:10 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Good Question SJMB

My GI Expert has the half cocked feature. I pull the hammer back a little and it clicks and when I touch the trigger with the beaver tail saftey held down the trigger still feels like it is on saftey. Not sure what all the hollabalu is on it but I can sleep soundly knowing that there is an extra saftey feature on my 1911.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
3 years 46 weeks ago, 12:16 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
SJMB

Half Cock kept the Hammer off a chambered round so if the weapon was dropped on the hammer it would not fire.

The Series 80 fixed this by the inclusion of a firing pin block.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 46 weeks ago, 12:26 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
ISD

But to get it in this state, you have to lower the hammer on a chambered round. What if the hammer slips while you are lowering it. The round would go off and the slide would catch your thumb, right?

It just doesn't seem practical to use the half-cock or condition 2 for a 1911.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 46 weeks ago, 12:51 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

well I actually took some time and explained reasoning behind it. but this time I'll make it short...

Lowering the hammer to half cock is as safe as the person doing it.

Personally I would not do so with a Single Action weapon, because I refuse to place myself in the position of starting out behind the 8 ball in a gun fight.

Some departments required 1911's to not be at full cock, the weapon was half cocked, safety enguaged and retention strap between the back of the slide/frame and the hammer.

Cocking to full cock is not a problem with practice it is all done in one motion as part of the draw of the weapon.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 45 weeks ago, 1:07 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Clarification

Ishootdaily wrote:
well I actually took some time and explained reasoning behind it. but this time I'll make it short...

I actually had listed the reason behind why someone would carry half cocked, what it is good for, why it is good and how some claim it is more dangerous and why. But for some reason when I hit save it cleared and did not post.

So I made it short...

3 years 44 weeks ago, 7:16 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

3 years 44 weeks ago, 7:17 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
WTF...

Is up with all these spammers all of a sudden?

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1178 (0 members and 1178 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
tallguy007, captmax, LLE, daisycutter, Pa Pa Tom, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,745, Comments: 162,426, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity