Forums / Strategies, Tactics & Training / Home protection

7 years 30 weeks ago, 3:35 PM

trad.dig.experience

trad.dig.experience's picture

Private
Home protection

I am interested in home protection with the least potential of shooting an intruder. I was tpld a shot gun with a loud sliding action is a good deterent. I saw the mossberg 500 on your website w/out a price. Is that the most popular and economical for home protection, Thank you, Scott McAlpine

6 years 37 weeks ago, 12:02 AM

1345usmclcpl

1345usmclcpl's picture

Colonel

i had the same question a week or so ago. And trust me the mossberg 590a1 is the way to go. I picked mine up is oceanside Ca for $531.95.

6 years 32 weeks ago, 7:22 PM

heavy

heavy's picture

Brigadier General
buy

get a mosseburg 500 almost same gun is lighter,and cheaper still a good choice i havve one have even shot skeet with it .telling the truth!

rick greene
6 years 26 weeks ago, 9:22 AM

eugene

eugene's picture

Captain

I am interested in home protection with the least potential of shooting an intruder........?

Do you mean you don't want to shoot them or you don't want to kill them? Capiscum is sold to food venders, fill up a supersoaker with pepper powder and water with little cooking oil.
For me, 12 guage under the bed.

6 years 26 weeks ago, 10:53 AM

Anonymous

My home was

Atacked by 2 intruders and i got shot 3 times. while they were looking for the keys to my truck i got my single action army and shot them. this happend in FT.Worth TX my old home town. I guess im the only one to kill anyone on this site . I didnt want to kill want to kill them but i was worried i was going to die, i was bleeding badly and i got put in a wheel chair. Getting back to the subject i dont think intruders are always going to be threatend by the sound of a shotgun clicking. Best thing to do is get the drop on them by sneaking up and whambooo!!!!!!! knock there damn lights out

6 years 26 weeks ago, 3:14 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
mossberg 500

"I guess im the only one to kill anyone on this site."

no. you're not.

I agree with the mossberg 500 series. they are good pistol grip shotguns.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 26 weeks ago, 11:01 AM

Anonymous

home defense shotguns

dont forget about the 870 remington though with a lot of practice i use my single action break open new england firearms from walmart in 12ga they have other gauges too use buck shot and aim for center mass bye bye bad guy

6 years 26 weeks ago, 3:52 PM

Anonymous

The rem.870. Now thats a gun u want with u in case of a intruder breaks in.

6 years 26 weeks ago, 6:11 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General
mossberg shotguns

I have worked for a gun shop and indoor shooting center for over 10 years, and just from my experience shooting shotguns mossbergs and remington pumps and a few in between the mossberg is the most rugged and simplicity is at it's best, exspecially when it comes to breaking em down for cleaning and maintance. the parts arn't as delicate either. However the remington is still a capitable shotgun to the mossberg. The mossberg in pistol grip figuration is very affordable and with the proper training you could become very profecient with it.I have owned 5 mossbergs in my life time and currently own one now. Look at my profile and you'll see my current pump.

6 years 26 weeks ago, 8:57 AM

Anonymous

here is an idea

try an Ithaca 37 shotgun.

6 years 25 weeks ago, 7:54 PM

Big Mernie

Big Mernie's picture

Captain
870 or express

For the price and reliability you can't go wrong with remington. I like the express because you can shoot the 3" shell not just 2 3/4"mmmm 3" thunder!!!

6 years 25 weeks ago, 12:40 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
3 1/2 in. shells

i can put 3 1/2's in my mossberg 835. with 00 buck, those thing would knock the head off a grizzly.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:56 AM

SKSKID

SKSKID's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

ok so what type of shot or round do use at home a bird shot, buck shot, hollow point full metal. me personally i use the 7.62x39 Blue Glaser safety slugs

6 years 19 weeks ago, 10:16 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
home loads

glad i'm not your nieghbor.... atleast they're blue glasers! lol. I have a lot of loaded guns around the house... but in my night stand sig, I either keep 140gr. DPX in .40, or 125gr. DPX in .357 sig. I keep a couple loaded mags of Hornady 55gr. TAP-FPD for my M4, and Hornady 00 buck TAP-FPD in my 12ga. but I don't ever plan on needing either of those... just prepared.

6 years 19 weeks ago, 1:53 PM

Andrew530

Andrew530's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Home protection

i got a remington 1100 semi-auto dont even have to pump. if they wanna hear a click il just slide the action.

6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:19 AM

skeeter51

skeeter51's picture

Major General
Benelli

The Benelli 121 M1 works great as a home/self defense shotgun. That or a Remington 870 is what I'd choose.

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson---------------------------------------------------------- Happiness is a beer in one hand and a gun in the other!
6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:24 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Winchester Defender

18" bbl, 00 buckshot, laser site is what I use and own. Nice compact good indoors. I also have 2 12 ga semi autos and a 16ga semi auto. Plus my Glock 19 w/laser sight. Que se dice, "Enter at your own risk?"
samD

6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:30 AM

skeeter51

skeeter51's picture

Major General
00 Buck/Slugs

I use that Winchester Military 00 Buckshot for home defense and then if I need a little more punch I have some Remington Buckhammer Slugs.

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson---------------------------------------------------------- Happiness is a beer in one hand and a gun in the other!
6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:35 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
00 Buck

I figure if for some reason I miss or off a little, 1 of those 9 00 will slow or maim, then can finish with whatever I need.
samD

6 years 19 weeks ago, 9:39 AM

skeeter51

skeeter51's picture

Major General
Surefire

I also got a Surefire 6P LED mounted to my shotgun. Hopefully I'll blind the bastard and blow him away before he gets a shot off.

6 years 19 weeks ago, 5:46 AM

ssdd71

ssdd71's picture

Brigadier General
Remington 870 Riot

I was able to get a great deal on some Remington 870 Riot guns for several friends and myself. They were trade-in guns from several law enforcement agencies. Most were in excellent condition and others showed mostly rack wear. Short and sweet, perfect for home defense. They aren't magnums but with a 2 3/4" load of 00 buck at close range, I think a person should be able to get the job done.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1024 (2 members and 1022 guests)
Kojak, LLE

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,703, Comments: 161,914, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity