Forums / Gun Discussion / Our Soldiers

7 years 12 weeks ago, 5:02 AM

samson

samson's picture

Private
Our Soldiers

5.56 What a joke as an old soldier I would use a 7.62 or 303 to save my ass not a pussy round like a 223. Let's be fair Dinkim it is them or us when you are in the thick of it.

7 years 5 weeks ago, 3:49 PM

Anonymous

of course, you would choose 7.62x51 (.308) if you are in a stationary shootout (larger grain bullet, more energy etc...) but when you are in 110 degree weather and you are doing rounds on foot patrol... a soldier can carry 240 rds. (8 30rd. mags) of .556 or .223 vs. carring 120 rounds of 7.62x51 (6 20rd. mags)at the same weight... Personally i would much rather carry twice as many rounds if my convoy was being attacked. And by the way, have you seen what a 55 grain .556 round does to a human body. Well i have and its not pretty. the small bullet tumbles end over end when it enters your flesh causing an entrence/exit wound the circumference of the length of the bullet. I feel safe enough carring my m4 carbine.

6 years 27 weeks ago, 1:12 PM

1345usmclcpl

1345usmclcpl's picture

Colonel

When i was overseas my m4 was my best friend. And yes it will lay a person down with no problem ---->failure drill all the way.

6 years 27 weeks ago, 12:42 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
this bugs me

you know as a person who has done some time in the sand and yet again i am over here as i speak. i got to say that unless your dealing with a basehead(drug user) or someone with sheilding on, even a 9mm will make them think twice about even twitching and im not sure how the soldiers do it but i know us Marines dont need 6 shots of any caliber to take a man down. i know it only took me 2 shots with the good old M16A4(at moderate distance for urban combat and the same amount with the glock19(only a 9mm). so if we are going to talk about someone who is not familiar with guns then yes they may need to do alot of damage with the only one hit they get but i know my well aimed shots are going to hit where it counts ,so while i appreciate the concern, learn the weapon you deserve to own and you wont have to worry about large calibers.

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 27 weeks ago, 1:46 PM

aidensdad27

aidensdad27's picture

Sergeant First Class

i dont agree with the round being junk at all i always felt confident with mine of course i spent who knows how many hours at the range zeroing and qualifying. shot placement is key just like in any other element. i liked it so much i am probably in the very near future going to purchase one for cayote or other small pest/home defense it is what i am most comfortable with easy to clean accurate reliable.

6 years 25 weeks ago, 9:58 PM

sarge225

sarge225's picture

Colonel

soldiers don't need six shots either, but you are right, shot placement is everything no matter the caliber.

6 years 25 weeks ago, 6:22 AM

TexasChaos

TexasChaos's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Not intending to hijack the thread, but I noticed how many of you have served in the armed forces and I just wanted to say THANK YOU.

6 years 25 weeks ago, 11:49 AM

dystubenrauch

dystubenrauch's picture

Colonel
7.62x39

i would take an AK overa M16 any day of the week. .22 AND .223 is the same size bullet one with more powder. it takes 2 some times 3 rounds to kill a chipmunk i cant see two round of .223 killing a man fast enought so that he can't shoot you.

suport our troops where ever thay are!
6 years 25 weeks ago, 5:39 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
First, to

First, to texas_chaos...thanks are not needed...just use the freedom we secure to get shitfaced and beligerent, buy an American product, and we will call it even!!
Second, two or three rounds to kill a chipmunk???????? are you serious. Ok well the round probably just went straight through him, he is small and has not meat, but then again if you are shoting chipmunks just to kill them and not for any purpose, that first step to serial killer. another thing is i have seen two 5.56 take down a man...and im still alive, plus I will pay you $10,000 if you can put 10 rounds in a mans body at 500m away with your AK. I've done it with my M16A2. besides, we have been using 5.56 in the Marine Corp longer then you've been alive, and were still the most elite fighting mass around(minus special forces of course) so you can have your AK all you want, use your fighting load on 5 enemies, but Ill stick to my skill and use 2-3 rounds a person and have enough ammo to take out 15 Enemies, plus lay down suppressive fire, and evasive fire. Over a million Marines and Soldiers cant be wrong just because you say so....

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 25 weeks ago, 8:48 PM

sarge225

sarge225's picture

Colonel

this guy is obviously stuck on the ak-47, well I say let him have it. I can back up every single thing sytasyn_syn says about the 5.56, special note, the M885 we use in the millitary is not the same as what you buy in the store. if you want to buy an ak thats fine but there is a reason it is cheaper than an ar-15. poor chipmunks!

6 years 24 weeks ago, 11:04 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

you all can fight all day over this. its personal prefrence. the only thing is that they don't let you choose. I agree w/ the second comment. I would rather be able to carry more ammo. besides, if your shots are on target, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I like to keep my distance. one shot one kill

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 24 weeks ago, 11:06 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
and yes... poor

and yes... poor chipmunks!!!!!!!!

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 21 weeks ago, 10:32 PM

silvergryfon

silvergryfon's picture

Captain

Yes, it does do the job. I just prefer a nice clean head shot followed by a well placed heart shot. Does the trick every time and there is no complaints from the recipiant. .308 does the job as well but usually only need one shot, but two is for sure.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1079 (0 members and 1079 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,678, Comments: 161,450, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity