Forums / Gun Discussion / self defense

7 years 5 weeks ago, 7:43 PM

soulcollecter

soulcollecter's picture

Private
self defense

In my opinion the 12 gauge riot gun is the best defensive weapon bar none. In Houston back in`79 I had to cap a rip off with my 12 (he had 1 but not cut down to 18"). Anyway to make a long story short I hit him point blank with a High Power 2 3/4 BB load and he was lifted 1.5 feet off the ground and flew back 15 feet and was dead when he hit the ground. It was a justifiable homicide but the load is everything. Only morons use 00 buck. In Vietnam point men were given 3" #1 buck with 24 30 caliber pellets (at 1425 ft/per second like a 9) vs. the standard 12 00 buck which are .33 caliber.

For self defense and fun the .357 mag revolver can't be beat. With a 132 grain semi jacketed hollow point you have an arm blower off or you can "plink" with 38 specials. The revolver is making a come back as it leaves no spent casings, plus never jams. Period.

If you need 18 9 or 10mm rounds you are in a war zone or can't hit the ground with instructions. Most encounters are measured in 1-3 rounds, not 18.

6 years 51 weeks ago, 5:14 PM

Anonymous

sorry, i would rather have 18 10mm rounds anyday than 6 .38 or .357. i agree with the 12 ga. shotgun, but feel safe with my m4 as long as no one else is in the house

6 years 51 weeks ago, 5:21 PM

Anonymous

oh yeah... and we do live in a war zone

6 years 22 weeks ago, 5:20 PM

bigshrek

bigshrek's picture

Master Sergeant

I'm rather fond of a 12 ga double-barrel sawed off to a quarter over legal...and the stock sawed & carved into a pistolgrip. Legal keeps the fuzz out of your hair :)

6 years 21 weeks ago, 12:11 PM

gunslinger

gunslinger's picture

Sergeant First Class
Well I agree

While I agree with the 12 gauge comments, I am not understanding the load comments. While I have always used 00 buck in the past I would like more info on why using the bb load is better. The 00 should have far better penetration and has an effective range out to 30-40 yards or so, so I don't get it.
Now I have never used one on a human target so no practical experience, but I have seen my share of close range shotgun wounds. At close range 0-10 yards the load didn't seem to be a big issue, of course none of the ones I have seen were wearing any type of body armor.
So help me to understand, practical knowledge is always better.

6 years 21 weeks ago, 12:51 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
Wow

Honestly Gunslinger
I think these people arnt thinking very practical at all. People need to think about all the factors that come with self defense situations. First, your most likely to have a self-defense situation happen in your home, the if you have some sort of saw-off type shotgun, I can load it with plastic bb pellets and it would jack someone up from the distance you would be firing at. Now if your encounter is not in the house and its in public,
Then:
1. It would prolly be smart just to try to get out of the situation if possible. Most heros are just that because they died.
2. This aint the movies and you arent Bruce Willis. You can't walk the streets with a saw-off. Pistols are easier to conceal.
Now if it happens in the car (the most "normal" place to have a sawed-off) I would rather go for ease of handling and manuverablity with a .45 pistol only if familiar with that caliber. I truly believe that people are obsessed with over-kill and it is only going to get you laughed at or kill. Be smart not macho. Guns are great but just cuz you love them doesnt mean your going to walk into 17 armed robberies and get mugged 11 times in your lifetime. Theres no great evil out to get you so I promise you that you can take it easy Constantine!!

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 21 weeks ago, 10:06 PM

1345usmclcpl

1345usmclcpl's picture

Colonel
Well put....I have the

Well put....I have the M590A1 for the house and the kimber ecplipse target II for going out in public.

6 years 20 weeks ago, 8:44 AM

gunslinger

gunslinger's picture

Sergeant First Class
defense

I may have misunderstood, I was only thinking of home defense with the shotgun, out and about is entirely different as you say. I suppose the 00 buck is overkill in a house, so I would use 4 or 6 shot. Number 9 I have seen the results of and at close range the target didn't know the difference or care.
Out and about I only use handguns that are concealable and reliable. The shotgun doesn't go out and about with me. I find it hard to imagine an out and about senario for a shotgun for me. But anything is possible I suppose.

6 years 20 weeks ago, 7:01 PM

bigshrek

bigshrek's picture

Master Sergeant

Of course, if you want to really rev 'em up, get a Taser...

Mind you, in most states it requires a concealed carry permit as well...

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 475 (0 members and 475 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
teko52, tallguy007, kweowner, captmax, gunslingercharlie, jpdental, LLE, howard, gomer, Caber, marvs-world
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,653, Comments: 161,084, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity