Forums / Gun Discussion / .221 Fireball modified Case

6 years 5 weeks ago, 9:39 AM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General

Has anyone heard of the .221 Fireball?
Sounds like an interesting round, anyone shot using this?

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 5 weeks ago, 9:52 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
I have heard of it

... but never shot or even seen it. Looks like its a small game round, that has pretty good velocity out of a pistol.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:17 AM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General

It is. It has a cool name but it doesn't seem to be more then just a vermin killer. Still want to try it. Can't this be fired from a 5.56 weapon?

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:21 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

don't think so, but not sure. greasy? ford?

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:27 AM

Anonymous

.221 Fireball

The Fireball cartridge is a shortened version of the .222 remington. that was introduced in the short barreled XP100 action in 1963.This cartridge had the distinction of being the hottest,flatest shooting cartridgemanufactured that was commercially available.

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:29 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
grease

answer the man! it can't be fired out of a 5.56 can it?

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:31 AM

Anonymous

yes on .221

the case is longer but the measurements all look nearly the same except length.you could probably have a barrel maker chamber a barrel for ya but there are better cartridges available now and the Fireball was designed as a pistol cartridge(think T/C Contender)

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:32 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Hey guys, I have an older Rem 1100 12 ga. Can I LEGALLY shorten the barrell as long as it is the shortest legal length, which is 18 1/2" or is it 20" now?

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:35 AM

Anonymous

barrel length

federal law clearly states barrel length to be 18.5 inches long and overall weapon length must be a minimum of 26 inches not to mention it is illegal cut the barrel yourself!remember,that is what got Randy Weaver in trouble!but you can have a gunsmith do it

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:38 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

In AZ... I'm pretty sure it's 16in. I know any long gun with a bbl. under 16in. is considered class 3. I'm not sure about the laws on modifing it yourself. I can look into it and get back to you.

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:40 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
...or

just listen to greasy, sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

greasy- why can a gunsmith shorten the barrel, but not you?

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:42 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Thanks guys

Will keep it Federal Legal, so I can travel with it in the RV.
samD

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:43 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
fireball

Back to the .221. I think this is the round that was used for the .300 whisper. They neck it up to fit a .30 caliber bullet, and because it is designed for subsonic flight, the small case does not hamper the powder chanrge. This was engineered so the M-16 family of lower receivers could still be used. A .30 caliber upper will just attach to the lower like normal and the magazines will still work as well.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:44 AM

Anonymous

gunsmith

it is why gunsmiths need an FFL.the feds think you need to be licensed to work on guns and/or modify them in any way.even cutting off a wood rifle stock and making it a pistol grip is an illegal modification!plus when a gunsmith cuts down your shotgun it is documented for the feds

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:48 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Thanks Grease

So it will have to be registered then. Inherited it from my deceased father-in-law. I also have a bead blaster, so I can clean it up and DuroCoat it. But can I legally buy and install a shorter stock without a gunsmith, correct?

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:51 AM

Anonymous

roger that

you can replace the stock and you can shorten it for length of pull too.just no pistol grip mods unless you buy a pistol grip for it.i know the laws are weird but they are what they are

6 years 5 weeks ago, 10:46 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Reaper, Clint & Greasy

There is a lady on-line now named Vicky. She had questions about scopes etc for her 35 yr old son, that had a brain tumor and left her son blinded in his right eye, hunting eye. Maybe you guys can answer her questions... Thanks.
ps. She arranges hunting trips in Canada...

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 609 (0 members and 609 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,591, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity