Forums / Gun Discussion / 223 Ammo

5 years 50 weeks ago, 12:14 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
223 Ammo

Okay, here's my situation and question. I do not plan to reload 223 for volume shooting. I will be making handloads for my wife's Rem 700, but not for my M4. I have quite a large collection of 223 brass already, so that isn't going to be an issue. I found a store here that has PMC 223 fmj for 380 bucks per case (1000 rds), and another store with Silver Bear nickel coated steel case for quite a bit less. My question is, have any of you ever done a lot of shooting (500 rds or more) with Silver Bea, and if so, how is it? I know there are people out there who hate the idea of steel case ammo, but I have yet to find confirmed stories of it blowing up in guns like some say. How is it?

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 50 weeks ago, 12:24 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

I see why samD does it.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:36 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
runaway

Don't knock my methods, then use them...LOL

5 years 50 weeks ago, 8:56 PM

Schuyler

Schuyler's picture

General
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States

he's giving you credit. I see the issue. If you don't, it could die because no one sees it. Nature of the beast.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
5 years 50 weeks ago, 12:31 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
silver bear

I shoot it all of the time out of my nagants and SKS/AKs and M1. feeds great. I usually only shoot brass out of my M4, but have shot some Branaul (company that manufactures silver bear) zinc coated ammo out of it also, and it cycled fine.

I usually recommend that people don't shoot lacquer coated steel cases out of ARs beasuse when they get heated up, the lacquer coating melts off onto the extractor... causing major problems. I don't think you will have this problem with nickel/zinc coated stuff (silver bear). it should be fine. i know the price is right

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 50 weeks ago, 12:34 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Reaper

I figured laquer coating would do that, that's why I've never tried anything other than brass. I'll probably try a couple hundred rounds and see how my rifle does. It's odd, though, to fire a round that I can't reload later down the road. Now I feel like I'm wasting things

5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:31 PM

Nitris

Nitris's picture

Lieutenant General
of JSC Barnaul last Ulyanovsk Machine Tool Plant (Russia) Manufacturer of Silver Bear as Reaper said. Never had a problem

Rifle Olympic K3B A-3 M-4.223 AR15 and K23 P AR15 Pistol

Ron Paul 2012 III
5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:32 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Nitris

Glad to you see you and dogs again...

5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:39 PM

Nitris

Nitris's picture

Lieutenant General

My other dog was creepy, so I brought back my favorite.

It's he adorable?

Ron Paul 2012 III
5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:40 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Nitris

I love the snaggle puss grin. Can't you get braces for this poor canine?

5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:47 PM

Nitris

Nitris's picture

Lieutenant General

That was after braces.....What are ya trying to say...

Ron Paul 2012 III
5 years 50 weeks ago, 3:35 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Nitris

looks like a handgrenade blew up in that poor dog's mouth...

5 years 50 weeks ago, 2:50 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Nitris. Thanks

And I liked the other dog better. I know the expression well, as I'm sure it's very similar to mine any time my wife talks to me. And samD, I would never knock your methods. You are our president. Imagine that...President and most respected. Maybe a lesson here for the real world? Ah, it'll never take.

5 years 50 weeks ago, 8:47 PM

FreedomMilitaria

FreedomMilitaria's picture

Major General
silver bear

i have shot thousands of silver bear through some of my AR's, and with customers AR's with no problems at all.
if you are shooting a lot, and not trying to shoot tight groups, this is
the only way to go.
having said that, silver bear for the most part, is fairly accurate. (easy to make head shots at 1, 2, and 250 yards.
i do however hand load almost all my .223 ammo that i shoot through my M4, but it is used in competition so accuracy is of the essence.

If you do not stand behind our troops...please stand in front of them....

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 637 (0 members and 637 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,690, Comments: 161,628, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity