Forums / Gun Discussion / 25.06 rifle cartridge

5 years 35 weeks ago, 5:40 PM

rmgunsmith

rmgunsmith's picture

Major
25.06 rifle cartridge

Attended a recent gun show and purchased a custom Mauser action rifle with Weatherby premier wood stock. Took it to the range the next day and hit a clay pigeon at 100 50 yards, 12 gong at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards. You could hear it thump the gongs real hard. I have not seen such a flat shooting , long range cartridge perform like that!

After reading this article I can see why!

http://www.myoutdoorsite.com/fullarticle.aspx?cat=Hunting&id=85

5 years 35 weeks ago, 6:21 PM

cbxjeff

cbxjeff's picture

Major General
25-06

Yes, I believe it. I started a build from scratch Mauser about 2 years ago. I was advised early to go for the 25.06. It's the most expensive non-NFA piece I have. The stock will be finished later this year and then all I need is a scope. I can't wait.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
5 years 35 weeks ago, 10:26 PM

Anonymous

.25-06

since i have a Savage model 110 already(.270 Win)i have been thinking about buying a barrel for the 25 caliber.for savages,rebarreling is easy.just need a barrel nut wrench,go-no go gauges for each caliber and whatever caliber barrel you want.cheaper than having any other bolt gun rebarrelled and i can do this my self!
i was thinking about going with a .35 Whelen (.30-06 case necked up to .35 caliber)but i dont hunt for anything bigger than deer

5 years 26 weeks ago, 7:17 PM

PBR Driver

PBR Driver's picture

Brigadier General
.25-06

Is a real versital caliber. Out here bwe use them from Rock chucks to Elk and would make a dandy moose rifle as well.
If you reload you can make the .25-06 shoot very very well.
I agree with greasypaws, the Savage rifle is a platform the average guy can use to build up a real shooter. Easy to work on and a lot of options available.
As a matter of fact SAVAGE MAKES THE MOST ACCURATE FACTORY RIFLE IN THE U.S.A.....Fact.
But the Mauser should be a great rifle, enjoy and show pictures of yor rifle and targets. SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOUND A GOOD ONE.

INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE. If you do not love the CONSTITUTION AS IT IS WRITTEN then you are free to leave MY COUNTRY at this time.
5 years 26 weeks ago, 7:36 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
.25-06

I bought a used Remington 700 BDL in .25-06 in 1984 for $125. Put a used Redfield scope on it. Couldn't believe how well it shot when zeroing it. Took it deer hunting, got a small 8-point the first shot I fired. My hunting pardner bought the rig off of me when we got back to camp, for over twice what I'd paid for it! Later on, I felt kinda dumb when I remembered how well it shot. The guy who bought it still has it.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 867 (0 members and 867 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,751, Comments: 162,479, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity