Secretary of the Treasury
+1

on the 300 weatherby

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 29 weeks ago, 8:13 PM

mattitude

mattitude's picture

Brigadier General

If you are a big game hunter, this is a good round, but definitely not your only, or necessarily your best, option. You've got the Weatherby 30-378, the 300 RUM... What are you looking to do with the 300 weatherby?

"...one is allowed to resist against the unjust aggressor to one's life [...] even 'til the aggressor’s death. In fact, this act is aimed at preserving one’s life and to make the aggressor powerless. Thus, it is a good act" - Thomas Aquinas
3 years 29 weeks ago, 12:16 AM

eagleseeker1957

eagleseeker1957's picture

Colonel

lookin at takin elk with it figure that would do it my 06 does a good job an a friend has his for sale

3 years 29 weeks ago, 9:47 AM

mattitude

mattitude's picture

Brigadier General

Yeah 300 Weatherby should be plenty for Elk. Good luck on the hunt!

"...one is allowed to resist against the unjust aggressor to one's life [...] even 'til the aggressor’s death. In fact, this act is aimed at preserving one’s life and to make the aggressor powerless. Thus, it is a good act" - Thomas Aquinas
3 years 26 weeks ago, 6:14 PM

Anonymous

stating the obvious

Just make sure nothing is standing beside your intended target. This goes double if you are shooting vital organs.
More than one pair of bull elk have been dropped by a Weatherby!

3 years 29 weeks ago, 8:18 PM

Doomguard

Doomguard's picture

Colonel

Deer and like sized game.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson
3 years 29 weeks ago, 12:42 PM

CelticArmory

CelticArmory's picture

Major
I have two

I fixed up an Interarms Mark X in 300WBY Mag for hunting. It has a Mauser action and is smooth as butter. I also have a Weatherby Mark V that I need to fix up.

I will say this. Weatherby barrel zeros this round at 300 yards, instead of the normal 100 or 200 for most other calibers. It is a beast and you don't want to shoot it too much at one time if you want to keep your shoulder on your body. This round will take anything from Cape Buffalo on down. It has enough energy at 100 yards that if you hit the average deer in the center of the chest, the round would probably come out it's ass.

"Guard well the words you use for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery."
3 years 29 weeks ago, 1:12 PM

Doomguard

Doomguard's picture

Colonel

One of my friends that I've gone deer hunting with several times had this happen to his little brother-he shot the deer in the neck, went through, traveled along the spinal column and exited the rump of the animal. Ruined the backstrap on one side of the animal, and tore up the hindquarter pretty good as well when it exited (it was a medium sized doe). Despite that, on the western side of my state in particular this is a popular deer round due to the open plains/long range factor. I probably should have said deer and up for North American game animals in the lower 48 though.

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson
3 years 25 weeks ago, 12:15 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

besides price, is that it wears barrels out faster than other 30 caliber magums. This probably won't be much of an issue for most hunters who, in all honesty, probably won't put much more than 200 rounds through the gun in their whole lives, but if you shoot a lot, it could be something to think about.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
3 years 25 weeks ago, 12:47 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Thought the 300 W

was intended for much larger game than found on the continental US...?

Like dropping Rhino and such?

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 25 weeks ago, 12:46 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

If you can afford it, use it.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
3 years 25 weeks ago, 12:56 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Shoot it in the ass and dress it out all at once!

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 876 (0 members and 876 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,876, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity