Forums / Gun Discussion / .32 vs .380

5 years 4 weeks ago, 5:56 PM

titaniumtaz

titaniumtaz's picture

Master Sergeant
.32 vs .380

I am having a tough time deciding on a .32 or a .380 pocket pistol. I have looked at both ruger and and kel-tec and talking with the salesman, the .32 is a lot easier to shoot (less recoil). I am trying to get my bride to start shooting and have been told that the .380 has a lot of kick and most woman will not pick up another gun after shooting the .380

Please provide your input and experieces.

5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:18 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
hey Titaniumtaz

are you sporting Titanium?I had an AMT backup in .32 that was sweet shooting,that's my experience.Didn't think it kicked much.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:21 PM

Mosinfreak

Mosinfreak's picture

Major General
yo titanium

i gave my wife [5'3 115#] my 1908 colt poket pistol in 380...she loves it so much i have been threatened with death if i ever try to sell it

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism" -George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:24 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
The Kel Tec P-3At

is a very good gun...I love mine! Truth is in a gun that small there is not much of a difference. I shot them both before deciding on the .380....Better stopping power,and the ammo is cheaper and slightly less difficult to find.

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:24 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
titanium

That's a crock of shit. The salesman is trying to push an inferior round on you. .380 has very manageable recoil, and although it is considered by many (myself included) to be a bit underpowered for a primary defensive pistol, there are rounds out there that can mitigate this somewhat. The big issue with a .380 is ammo availability. I don't own one, but from the posts in here by those who do, it seems that practice ammo is hard to find and not cheap. Recoil itself has very little to do with peoples' fear of shooting after the first time. A gun going off is a loud, violent affair and it's not natural. Buy the .380, explain to your wife what will happen when she fires, and let her go through a couple mags with no target, just to get used to the noise and kick. Then start her with close targets. Another mistake people make with cherries is to start them at the standard 25 yards and when they fail to make good hits, the newbie gets disappointed. Nobody likes failure. Close is realistic anyway. Start with 3-5 yards and then work back as her skill builds. Once she cores the center of a target at 10 yards the first time, you'll get some GOOOOD lovin' OH YEAH!!!!

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:31 PM

titaniumtaz

titaniumtaz's picture

Master Sergeant

I believe I will take your advice. The 380 will certainly not be my primary source for self protection, to be used only as a pocket pistol for when I cant carry my sub compact 40. I have no plans to use this at a pistol range other than take a few shots to get the feel for it. As far as the wife goes, I plan to use my glock 17 if she ever agrees. As far as ammo goes, not concerned. Where I plan to buy has ammo of all kinds, in fact they have an abundance of 223's and cases of handgun ammo.

Appreciate all of your input and I believe the decision has been made to go with the Kel-Tec.

Thanks again for all replys

5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:30 PM

Mosinfreak

Mosinfreak's picture

Major General
380 ammo

its hard to find right now...about like 45 as well...but if yer gonna carry a small sub 9mm round and im agreeing with run on this one.... to hell with the 32

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism" -George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:36 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
also

there are some real cheap .380"s out there.....thats for a good reason...they are cheaply made and will breakdown faster than the warrenty...go for the Kel =tech orRuger...and the NAA Guardian is also very well made.i've been really researching this type of gun....cause im probably getting one next.

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:46 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
hey

anyone ever hear of Byrco? there is a .380 semi auto with 2 magsand a case going off in 15 minutes on aution arms.for under 150.00

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:47 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Never heard of it....

sorry!

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"

Anonymous

bryco

i had a bryco 9mm.it worked fine.wasnt nothing fancy.my father in law ended up with it.he carries it everyday

Mosinfreak

Mosinfreak's picture

Major General
wtf is that? byrco?

wtf is that? byrco?

5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:50 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
it looks clean

but im gonna save for the NAA Guardian....380...im half way there....though it is tempting

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:50 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

BRYCO

stands for "BETTER RUN YOUR CAJONES OFF" if you pull this gun out.

5 years 4 weeks ago, 6:51 PM

Anonymous

ebear

150 is about top dollar for a bryco with the original box

5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:01 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

Lorcin, Davis, Jennings, Raven, and the others. These guns can all be decent defense weapons if you don't plan to put bunches of rounds down range. If you pop a box of ammo off every six months or so, it'll be fine. But if you plan to do any real shooting, save the money and buy a from a company with better metal than die cast cars.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:03 PM

Anonymous

good advice runaway

these guns are good for the night stand but not so much for daily carry

5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:06 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
yeah run

its bye bye now.....The Guardian also comes with the lifetime warrenty.very well made gun....i just love that site i've got three great gones for nothing on the auction site.

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:08 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

you buy gones?

is that messikin slang?

5 years 4 weeks ago, 7:09 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
lol

my engleesh is not berry good lookeeng i theeeeenk

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 5:47 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

Multiple agreements with my advice or comments. I'M THE MAN!!! Alright, get naked. Time for an orgy. No? How about a circle jerk? Okay, group hug? Fine. I'll go back to my corner and pout.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 480 (0 members and 480 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
Caber, captmax, presslerms, tallguy007, nobile157, gomer, jpdental, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,654, Comments: 161,088, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity