Forums / Gun Discussion / .357 SIG

6 years 10 weeks ago, 11:00 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
.357 SIG

I'm thinking about an after market .357 SIG barrel in a Glock 20. Why ?
why not. I might be able to shoot it better at distance. Anyone have
experience with that configuration ? Or comments pls.

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)
6 years 10 weeks ago, 9:42 AM

GoldenTrojan

GoldenTrojan's picture

Captain
Glock 20

I've owned a Glock Model 20 10mm for 3 years now. Love it! not sure why you want to give up the 10mm for the 357 sig. Unless you're trying to group your shots better, or lessen recoil. Why wouldn't ya just get a model 31 instead? I read once that a guy who did this swap didn't like it because of the point of aim difference. http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/3305-glock-357-sig.html <-- 5th post down. But to each his own. Good luck

6 years 10 weeks ago, 10:16 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
Glock 20

No,No the G20 shoots great. Have 5&6" ported barrels for it also. I have
a G31. Not all that happy with it (yet). It's a much different platform than the G20. I have a .357SIG 5" ported barrel for my G23, and that feels better than the G31. I guess it's curiosity more than anything else. Repatition is the pits. (barrel lengths are nominal) Wouldn't want one of those extra length ported barrels sticking out after a self defense situation. Tks for the input.

6 years 10 weeks ago, 11:21 AM

GoldenTrojan

GoldenTrojan's picture

Captain
Tried and True

Def. go with what feels more comfortable to ya. I think that's where alot of people go wrong now days. They buy a certain gun just because "my buddy said it was a good one" and then they wonder why they aren't grouping as well as their buddy. Maybe "buddy" has big hands and a larger case ammo feels more comfortable to him. LOL.. But I'm willing to bet since you feel more comfortable shooting the 20, you'll group better at longer distances.

6 years 10 weeks ago, 12:19 PM

Gunnin88

Gunnin88's picture

Major General
I would not

My friend Kevin has an XD in .357 sig. That is one of the least accurate rounds I have ever shot.

01*20*2013 Obamas last day!
6 years 10 weeks ago, 3:49 PM

dave329

dave329's picture

Colonel

They are ok for what they are intended for. Which is penetration through cover,windshields etc.But as a defensive round that becomes a problem,ie. shooting through walls in the middle of the night with family members nearby.Out in the world lawyers would have a field day if you had to shoot through cover or at longer distances,they would say they were trying to get away from you.
Besides I personally feel the 40 has more stopping power anyway.
So the way i look at it is do I want to pay the extra to have a practice round??And can you find the ammo. Around here I can barley find the good 40
Have only saw .357 sig once.
I myselfe was debating this delima for my own 23. More the more I look at it the more I get away from the idea. I think i will save the money and get me a new Glock 45 of some sort.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Good luck and great shooting

6 years 10 weeks ago, 4:50 PM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
.357 sig vs .40

well the .357 has more power, and its faster than the .40, but the .40 leaves a bigger hole, and since most self defense scenarios happen at about 5-15 feet, id go with the 9mm or .40. and gunnin 88, i dont know why u say its inaccurate, the 357 sig and 9mm has the flattest trajectory and aiming shouldnt be a problem.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
6 years 10 weeks ago, 5:25 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
.357 SIG

The round is a bit "snappier" when discharged, than the 40S&W. Maybe that's just my perception (mental aarrggh). You must always be "aware" in a self defense scenario. And, knowing how your house is built is a requirement
(if it happens there). Just because the perp is (armed) and hiding behind a corner doesn't mean I'm going to wait for the carnival shot. After all, they "will" be thinking the same thing (in summation).

6 years 10 weeks ago, 11:59 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
new rounds

I seem to remeber when the .40 was supposed to be the be all end all cartridge. Now we are reading the .357 Sig is the new round. But all ammo is compared to either the 9mm or the .45ACP. If the manufacturers are going to use the two rounds listed above as a benchmark, why would we want to use something else?

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
6 years 10 weeks ago, 3:36 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
.357SIG

Gee, I dunno. Maybe, it's more versatile/effective in a smaller configuration. Only time will tell. Why .308 over 30.06 for sniper service.
If we want hot, there is the 9x23mm in a handgun. Or, 10mm (which I also like)or other Magnum rounds. The .357 sig has actually been around for a while. It's just another .355mm bullet that's moving a little faster.The real
answer to the question "new rounds" is "we ask for them, manufacturers make
them, we buy them". Do we need them ???

6 years 10 weeks ago, 3:49 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
charley9toe

I know there are many different uses for many different rounds, I also know if you load your own ammo you can change variables. My point was: New ammo is always compared to 9mm or .45ACP. Like them or not, they have obviously proved to the shooting community that they work. Are they the end all be all cartridges, of course not. Every so often some manufacturer makes a new component for a cartridge that has been shelved for a while, they hype it up to sell their weapon, powder, bullet, casing etc. But always in the background there are 2 tried and true calibers.
Thats all I am saying, not trying to change anyones opinion. You know what is the best handgun in the world, the one you have right now if you need it.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
6 years 10 weeks ago, 4:00 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
clint

Yes, I do agree. And, I agree that any gun beats a bucket full of hammers, sharpened broomstick and lit candle, in the middle of the night.

6 years 10 weeks ago, 4:59 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
bucket full of hammers

hahahahaha
I like it, I am going to see if I can find a Galco to accomodate my bucket of hammers!!!

clint

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 872 (0 members and 872 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
captmax, Pa Pa Tom, jf.chandler sr., gpuls14, LLE, tallguy007, DEMO, DanH
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,762, Comments: 162,542, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity