Forums / Gun Discussion / .357 sig discussion

5 years 14 weeks ago, 5:50 PM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
.357 sig discussion

hey yall, i was wondering if we could all talk about this specific round, i dont know much about it, but i hear people talking like its just a 9mm round on steroids, and other saying its more powerful than its magnum counterpart with the same grain, how is it when fired from a 4 inch barrel? and the 357 sig and 45 gap are the 2 rounds that dont get sold out often.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 14 weeks ago, 6:46 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
.357 Sig

Have a glock31 and a 357 Sig Barrel for my G23. And I'm thinking of trying other configurations. All that verbiage means I at least believe the cartridge has promise(me and a lot of meaningful folks in the industry and in LE). Major manufacturers and not so major have all of their stats in public as far as I know. Seeing is believing. The big negative that I have heard here is "over-penetration". I'm not sure where that comes from as I haven't seen it in print. Development of more velocity for penetration doesn't = Over penetration. If over-penetration is the issue then we have to assume responsibility relative to what we defend ourselves with. Bolt from a cross-draw,shotgun slugs & Pellets, other pistol/rifle cartridges,werewolf hankies, bucket of hammers etc.. I haven't done any jello or impact tests, the experts are pretty good at that. Folks whom endear themselves w/ 40S&W 9mm 45ACP (other), obviously prefer their choice and can mount substantial rationale for their position. I like new stuff. Especially if it challenges the norm. Firing th .357SIG in a G31 was comfortable. In an old G23(EFK barrel) recoil was also comfortable. s'all I know.

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)
5 years 14 weeks ago, 8:40 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
.357 sig

is a great defense round, but you SHOULD be aware of over penetration in public. Comparing .357 sig to 9mm is like comparing 10mm to .40 S&W. It basically is a 9mm on roids, same as 10mm is a .40 on roids.

.357 sig is basically a 9mm bullet necked down on a .40 case, so it gets some pretty good velocity, which means good stopping power and a large wound channel. I think its a great round for two legged threats, especially at longer distances... a lot of park rangers carry this round. Check out the wound channel it creates on this gel... its larger than 9mm, .40, and .45
http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/hand-gun-gel-comparison

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 14 weeks ago, 9:56 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General

Regarding the gel tests referenced. The brand of bullet is the "key". Velocity X Bullet opening parameters = Depth in gel (generally). If my DoubleTap(DT),125 Grain, Gold Dot bullet is flying at 1525fps it sure needs to work right. ie., mushroom and not tear itself apart(so nice photo's can be taken) which seems to be "conventional" thinking. If you wanted to send a DT, 115 grain Bonded Defense JHP bullet at 1612 FPS, It may get you a different result. Sometimes, when I think about those speeds I think about my G20, 10MM, except it's set up to hunt with.

5 years 14 weeks ago, 1:41 AM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
reaper

ii dunno where wikipedia gets their info but they claim that the 357 sig has no problems of over penetration at all, thats what got me curious, and they talk about how its the best one shot stopper.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 14 weeks ago, 1:58 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
raffy

even 9mm has its over penetration problems, especially when its +p or +p+. I'm just saying... be aware of your surroundings, any .357 sig should do the trick with a well place round

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 14 weeks ago, 10:11 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
.357 sig

tends to stay on the shelf because of the price. It is expensive and more difficult to reload as it is a bottleneck cartridge. It has had some very good success with the agencies that issed it, but its price is the primary reason it is not so big with recreational shooters.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 14 weeks ago, 6:07 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
runawaygun762

When you said (its price is the primary reason it is not so big with recreational users) I agree. It was the same thing with the S&W.40 when it first came out. Believe me I know. There was no issue ammo available, so it came out of me pocket. Once, adopted by more LE the public "may" come on board. I think by then, (hopefully) das "vundertinkembangers", will have brought forth another wonderful cartridge.

5 years 14 weeks ago, 9:43 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

in popularity much. It may gain a bit more, but I doubt it. The .400 Corbon is supposed to be a pretty good round and the .50 GI is supposed to be a bad ass round, but I kinda think ammunition innovations are going to slow for a while until the future of gun ownership can be more solidly predicted.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 844 (0 members and 844 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,909, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity