Forums / Gun Discussion / AT 4/M 136, can anyone please explain the function and range and warhead of this weapon ka

5 years 35 weeks ago, 1:00 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

Victor chan, Runawaygun762 san, greasypaws sensei, Charley chan, LLE san, Snake kun, Hug e bear chan, Reaper chan, Clint chan or anyone else who might know.

Could somebody please explain the development, function and how the special warhead of this new weapon work to LittleDragon. Would really like to learn more about this, but can find very little info on internet about it and only learn little bit about it from R. Lee Ermey show, Mail Call.

Thank you in advance!

Your friend,

LittleDragon

Moshi Moshi from LittleDragon
5 years 35 weeks ago, 1:37 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
AT4/M136

I can only comment from my perspective. I would only shoot at buildings, bunkers etc.,not in any "modern Armor moving scenario". Too much signature for my "personal" taste.
The weapon is simply another attempt to put an "IRON KILLER" in an INFANTRY mans hands.
You have to dampen recoil and reduce signature. This is a damn good start.
I wish you could have seen the back blast (signature) created from a Bazooka, a LAW and a 105 or 106MM Recoilless Rifle. It was awsome. believe me you did not want to get toasted by that sucker.
Remember Little Dragon, anything that happens in the scene of the play, that is unusual "is immediately seen".

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)
5 years 35 weeks ago, 1:54 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

by this you mean the signature of weapon with back blast like recoilless rifle or the LAW, cause have seen these weapon use in several show on military channel. LAW look very small and the tracked 105 recoilless rifle look very large. so can imagine that if enemy is looking for where incomming fire come from then it would show up neh

Your friend alway,

LittleDragon

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:08 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
yes

If you blow snot out of your nose, "something" will see it. If we reduce that recognition we become more successful. The night is your friend, I don't care where you are at (except in a dry bamboo patch).

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:11 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

is why ryo have so much respect for you. you alway come up with something to challenge ryo mind and thinking. ok, so ryo will now have to ask about why exception for dry bamboo patch ka.

Your friend,

LittleDragon

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:18 PM

Redheadusmcwife

Redheadusmcwife's picture

Major General

TECHNICAL DATA
Complete System
Country of Origin Sweden (AT4)
Weight 14.8 lb (6.7 kg)
Unit Replacement Cost $1,480.64
Launcher
Length 40 in (1,020 mm)
Firing Mechanism Percussion
Rear Sight Range indicator, graduated in 50-meter increments
Cartridge
Caliber 3.31 in (84 mm)
Armor Penetration 14+ in (356+ mm)
Length 18 in (460 mm)
Weight 4 lb (1.8 kg)
Muzzle Velocity 950 fps (290 mps)
Minimum Range (Training) 33 yd (30 m)
Minimum Range (Combat) 11 yd (10 m)
Arming Range 11 yd (10 m)
Maximum Range 2,297 yd (2,100 m)
Maximum Effective Range 328 yd (300 m)

DESCRIPTION
The M136 AT4 is a lightweight, self-contained, anti-armor weapon. It consists of a free-flight, fin-stabilized, rocket-type cartridge packed in an expendable, one-piece, fiberglass-wrapped tube. The AT4 is man-portable and is fired from the right shoulder only. Since the M136 AT4 is issued as a round of ammunition rather than as a weapon, the launcher is completely sealed.

The AT4 was designed in the late 1980's for use against the improved armor of light armored vehicles. Although the AT4 is mainly used as an anti-armor weapon, it may be used with limited success against secondary targets such as gun emplacements, pillboxes, buildings, or light vehicles.

Replaced the M72 LAW in U.S. service.

LAUNCHER
The launcher is watertight for ease of transportation and storage. Unlike the M72-series LAW, the AT4 launcher need not be extended before firing.

CARTRIDGE
The cartridge consists of a fin assembly with tracer element; a point-initiating, base-detonating, piezoelectric fuze; a warhead body with liner; and a precision-shaped explosive charge.

FIRING
Because the AT4 has a closed chamber, it has a slight recoil.

The AT4's warhead has excellent penetration ability and lethal after-armor effects. The extremely destructive, 15.5 ounce (440 gram) shaped-charge explosive penetrates more than 14 inches (356 mm) of armor.

Impact. The nose cone crushes; the impact sensor activates the fuze.

Ignition. The piezoelectric fuze element activates the electric detonator.

The booster detonates, initiating the main charge.

Penetration. The main charge fires and forces the warhead body liner into a directional gas jet that penetrates armor plate.

After-armor effects (spalling). The projectile fragments and incendiary effects produce blinding light and destroy the interior of the target.

When the weapon is fired, pressure builds up in the chamber and ruptures the baseplate. Once the baseplate ruptures, gasses exit from the back of the weapon, forming the back blast.

BACK BLAST
The total back blast area extends 328 feet (100 meters) to the rear of the launcher in a 90° fan. Back blast heat or flying debris could injure the firer and other soldiers anywhere in the back blast area.

WEAPON CAPABILITIES
The AT4 can penetrate more than 17.5 inches (450 mm) of armor plate. Its warhead produces highly destructive results behind the armor. Tests against typical urban targets are still ongoing, but the AT4 should penetrate at least as well as the 90mm recoilless rifle if not better.

The AT4 has a minimum arming distance of 33 feet (10 meters), which allows it to be fired successfully against close targets. Firers should be well covered by protective equipment when firing at close targets.

The AT4 causes only a small entry hole in an armored vehicle target, though some fragmentation or spall may occur.

Of all the common building materials, heavy stone is the most difficult to penetrate. The AT4 usually will not penetrate a heavy European-style stonewall. Surface cratering is usually the only effect.
Layered brick walls are also difficult to breach with light weapons. Some brick walls can be penetrated by multiple firings, especially if they are less than three bricks thick. The AT4 may require three to five rounds in order to penetrate brick walls.
Wooden structural walls offer little resistance to the AT4. Even heavy timbered walls are penetrated and splintered.
Because of its high velocity, the AT4 may penetrate a soft target, such as a car body or frame building, before exploding.

Variants
AT4-CS
The AT4-Confined Space (CS) weapon is a safety modification to the M136 AT4 Multipurpose Weapon, that significantly reduces the weapon's back blast and launch signature, allowing the weapon to be safely fired from a room or other protected enclosure. The AT4-CS will continue to be the U.S. Army's primary shoulder launched, lightweight, anti-tank weapon.

Type Classification Date: 3rd Quarter FY04. Unit cost: $2,700

ANTI-ARMOR WEAPONS
Light anti-armor weapons (such as the M72 LAW and M136 AT4) are used to attack enemy personnel, field fortifications, and light armored vehicles. They have limited capability against main battle tanks, especially those equipped with reactive armor (except when attacking from the top, flanks, or rear). Light weapons usually fire unguided (free-flight) rockets.

Medium anti-armor weapons (such as the M47 Dragon and Javelin) have greater penetration and longer range than lighter weapons, but are heavier, bulkier, and less portable. Medium weapons usually fire guided missiles.

Recoilless weapons (like the M67 Recoilless Rifle) vent part of the propellant gases to the rear of the weapon. The vented gases counteract the forward momentum of the projectile and propelling gases leaving the muzzle. Recoilless weapons are much lighter than conventional guns, but produce a tremendous back blast.

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:32 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General
anti armor weapon

sounds like a real crowd pleaser..thanks ma'am

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:52 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

It is make in Sweden ka ryo find this interesting. Small country like Sweden seem to make very high quality very lethal weaponry. the AK that ryo admire so much, the Saab/Bofors FFV AK 5 Basic assault rifle and the many variant to it are also make in Sweden and these are most very excellent assault rifle neh. Ryo beginning to think that nobody should mess with Sweden like we say in Texas, don't mess with Texas neh. even though Swedish Army very small, ryo have study it closely recently and find this very interesting thing about such small country. with limited funds and limited number of military age male and female, Sweden have manage to produce most very excellent little army neh. and they are arm with most outstanding weaponry. ryo finding that there are some small few number of fairly small country that have powerful, for their size, little armies and often these country seem to concentrate on Special Forces Groups. countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Sweden, the Philippines, Norway, Israel, Thailand and a few other have all develop very powerful military forces. of all of these Israel is beyond doubt the most powerful, and of course there good reason for that neh. but the other countries also have small but well arm forces that could put up very serious fight if needed. Have live in Singapore, for short time and live much of early life in Israel and have seen some of this for self as well as through study neh. have also live number of sai in the Philippines and ryo feel much love toward these people. It seem like few people understand what huge struggle it is for the Filipino people to keep their democracy together. there are so many different insurgent and terrorist group there. so very many. This country of the Philippines also have limited funds to support military and yet with just what they have, the fight well to hold their democracy together. ryo know cause have live there and seen many thing there. it very beautiful country with most very excellent people, who are very friendly to Americans. it such shame that so many evil people wish to tear this beautiful country apart. ryo will alway have very special place in heart for the Filipino people.

Your friend alway,

LittleDragon

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:20 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
Little Dragon

At night, I believe it to be the most noisy place in the jungle. At least for me it is.

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:26 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

dry bamboo patch in jungle be very weird thing though neh. bamboo need lot water to grow, but if dry and wind blow it would rustle like crazy neh. this make very much sense. but if self were warrior and out looking for bad guy it seem that dry bamboo patch would be good place to look neh.

Your friend and student,

LittleDragon

5 years 35 weeks ago, 2:30 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

charley chan PS

when you were warrior and fight in jungle where was this ka in the philippines ka or was this later in viet nam ka
btw how is foot today ka is charley chan making sure to follow doctor orders ka hope you not in very much pain and as alway ryo will make prayer for your quick recovery.

Your friend alway,

LittleDragon

5 years 35 weeks ago, 3:06 PM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
little dragon

Avoid dry bamboo patches because if caught inside you could be crispy critter. They burn pretty readily !

5 years 35 weeks ago, 3:11 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

as alway, charley chan make very much sense. dry bamboo burn like crazy and if caught inside would be very much crispy critter. very nasty way to go. and if go out in blaze like such that mean your team have one less rifle to shoot at bad guy. that not good thing.

Your friend and student,

LittleDragon

5 years 34 weeks ago, 9:34 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
AT4 isn't very good

The AT4's penetration only makes it suitable for light skineed or light armored vehicles such as the BRDM, BMP, BTR, BMD, and a few older tanks. The primary main battle tank used by the Soviets when the AT4 was adopted was the T72, which has a front glacis and front hull thickness of 500-560 mm, while the AT4's maximum penetration is 425 mm at 0-degree impact. A mobility kill on the tracks or a catastrophic kill with a top or rear shot is possible, but not likely. Even today, when we don't face armored vehicles, the AT4 has drawbacks. The biggest one in my mind is its size. For a disposable weapon, it's awfully big and cumbersome. There is very little room in a HMMWV or on a soldier's back, and the AT4 takes up a lot of it. I would love to see a modernized version of the M72 LAW come out.Another problem is the type of warhead. The HEAT warhead kills vehicles by introducing a jet of superheated gas in to the vehicle fuing parts together, melting things, igniting fuel, and causing ammo to cook off. When using the AT4 as a "bunker buster" or to clear a room, if the bad guy isn't pretty much right in line with the impact on a wall, chances are good that he'll live and be able to fight. At least the M72 had an HE warhead. I've had at least one AT4 in my truck or on my back on all three tours, but I'd much rather have carried the older M72. Here's an interesting tidbit. The army doesn't have any anti tank weapons. We have light, medium, and heavy anti armor weapons. So for those that think AT4 stands for Anti Tank model 4, it doesn't. It's either a really fun coincidence or an example of military humor. The diameter of the round is 84 mm. That's eighty-four. Now say eighty-four slowly. Ah ha, funny, huh?

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1060 (1 member and 1059 guests)
Pa Pa Tom

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,703, Comments: 161,914, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity