Forums / Gun Discussion / 410 shotgun for deer? What is a 410 good for?

5 years 26 weeks ago, 8:05 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

Is a 410 good for anything?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 26 weeks ago, 8:08 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House

is'nt that the same shell a Taurus Judge shoots??

...check... G-AZ
5 years 26 weeks ago, 9:28 PM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
demo, .410

.410 i believe is effective for self defense, and yes ebear, the judge fires .410 and .45lc cartridges. for deer hunting, i suppose it can be effective, but why not be sure and use a 12 gauge.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 26 weeks ago, 9:32 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

I found a AR-15 chambered in 410. I am obsessed with the AR-15. Just a thought, need to justify buying it

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 26 weeks ago, 9:36 PM

raffycanlas

raffycanlas's picture

General
demo, sounds neat

speaking of shotgun shells in assault rifles, im very fond of the ak47 12 gauge shooter saiga rifle.

I'm just another damn yankee with a loaded gun looking for some fun!
5 years 26 weeks ago, 9:36 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

Demo

You can use a 410 with slugs to deer hunt in some states and the 410 slug has the same balitics as the 30-30 round. Wife has a 410 and loves it.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 26 weeks ago, 10:33 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General

.410 is also an excellent squirrel and rabbit round. And with an AR in .410 you can knock out a whole tree full in style.

5 years 26 weeks ago, 7:20 AM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

DEMO wrote:

was my first gun, we bought it as a home defence weapon..my wife had never handled a gun before and i needed something that had a mild if no kick when fired and the mossberg fit the bill..i just got a glock17 for us and right now the women is more comfortable with the shotgun!!!..go figure

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
5 years 25 weeks ago, 10:09 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

I wouldn’t use a 410 on a deer, but I tend to over do things. They are good guns for squirrel’s rabbits, wood chucks, ect. I don’t know about it being good for self defense but they are illegal to carry in my derringer, in my state so make sure you check on that

we've got you surrounded.... ... Smith... Wesson and me...
5 years 25 weeks ago, 10:26 AM

charley9toe

charley9toe's picture

Lieutenant General
.410 shotgun

.20Gauge(state law) is generally the minimum shotgun caliber required to hunt deer with.
.410's a great round on the skeet range. It will tell you ,there is more need to practice. It's also a great field gun (generally light weight)well suited for the novice and old timer alike.
I would us one in self defense, it beats my indefatigable sack of hammers. Taurus sells the "Judge" (.45Colt/.410Ga.)handgun, that is very popular.

(You have to look behind all of that outer space stuff)
5 years 25 weeks ago, 9:22 PM

Old Grump

Old Grump's picture

First Lieutenant
.410 and deer

Depending on state and conditions a mini mouse gun can be used but I would use slugs and try to keep the shot under 40 yards. In the thick woods, think 30-30 territory the 410 will do but don't be taking 80 yard shots with it. With the 20 0r 12 you can stretch it out to 100 yards if your marksmanship is up to it. Contrary to most peoples expectations a 410 is not a beginners gun or a good gun to start a youngster on. The amount of shot is so small you can't afford to be careless and it takes a good man to consistently take squirrel or dove with one. Rabbit not so bad, wait till they stop and look at you, they always do. You have time then to aim and fire. Not a tree knocker down gauge and more expensive than its bigger brothers but a fun gun to shoot.

5 years 25 weeks ago, 5:00 AM

Mark3030

Mark3030's picture

Lieutenant General
.410 are used for

small game hunting if you use them for dear hunting you have to use a riffled slug at close range. IMHO not a ideal situation.

"the thrill of the hunt"
5 years 24 weeks ago, 10:56 AM

wjh2657

wjh2657's picture

Major
Yard gun

I have two NEF/H&R .410 Pardners. They are the guns I use to teach my grandchildren with. The .410 has a definite niche for rural folks (like me) and that is as a "Yard gun" or "Garden gun" for pests (snakes, skunks, possums, etc.)It is the limited lethality of the .410 bore that makes it ideal for this duty. You don't have to worry about hitting somebody 200 yards away or damage their house. In the UK it is the only "allowed" shotgun for most folks and is well known as a "gardener's gun." I keep one with a shell sleeve on butt, readily available in a high rack in the garage. Almost all of my neighbors, proud owners of many 12 gauges (as am I) keep the big guys in the gun safe but have a single shot .410 at easy reach.

5 years 23 weeks ago, 6:06 PM

daisycutter

daisycutter's picture

General

Popping party balloons comes to mind.

iyaoyas
5 years 23 weeks ago, 6:26 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
There seems

to be an impressive number 0f .410 being used in skeet shooting in Florida.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
5 years 23 weeks ago, 8:39 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General

I use a bolt action 410 for skeet. May not be the most practical, but when you make a double hit, You sure feel good about yourself! LOL!

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
5 years 21 weeks ago, 7:22 PM

zx12rmike

zx12rmike's picture

President Pro Temp
It's good for shooting

It's good for shooting butterflies!!!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home" Thomas Jefferson
5 years 21 weeks ago, 5:29 AM

samstore

samstore's picture

First Lieutenant

The .410 is a shotgun that won't scare the younger shooter. Less kick and recoil than dad's gun. Great gun to teach hunting with (rabbits and squirrels). For a deer weapon, if you're not close, you'll be tracking a wounded animal for miles.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 786 (0 members and 786 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,591, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity