Forums / Gun Discussion / 5" 1911 for Concealed Carry

4 years 14 weeks ago, 9:07 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

BluedSteelCharisma's picture

Colonel
Frontlines, North Carolina, United States

I'm not having any luck on my 1911 forum , with the kind of answers i'm looking for so i figured id ask here. (caution I ramble)

I'm in the immediate market for a full sized 5" 1911 for concealed carry, If you carry a full sized 1911 please let me know.

I'm interested to know what Make and Model, How many rounds through it you put before you deemed it reliable, feedback on any FTF or FTE due to the pistol not magazine related, and how it accepts your personal hand loads if applicable ect ect.

I realize i'm still new here, but just to avoid any common responses i see to similar inquiries ill go ahead and say this. This isn't my first pistol or my first 1911 for that matter, i'm aware of just about every major manufacturer of the 1911 and their popular models, i know how to use google too, and im not interested in what somebodies brothers cousins dad said about a RIA 1911 platform on Youtube, on this particular post.

Sorry for sounding like a dick, ehhh maybe i am a dick,so what, life is short. but i'm looking for the opinion from somebody who trust his life to a full sized 1911 every day to make sure i make the best purchase for the intended use. or rather the best valued purchase so i can buy some other things on my wish list/ ie: Ruger Single Six, Ruger Mark 3 , SW 649 bodyguard not necessarily in that order.
thanks, sorry about the ramble....i have a mid life crisis every time i change CCW guns

The evils of tyranny are rarely seen, but by he who resists it.
4 years 14 weeks ago, 11:53 PM

BtheKid1881

BtheKid1881's picture

Major
BSC

I own a Springfield 1911 A1 model. My favorite gun I have ever owned. It is my CCW most of the time. The problem I have is I'm not the biggest guy in the world so it can be quite heavy as you already know. I have put about 500 rounds through it and wouldn't trust many other guns with my life. I have never had it jam so far. As long as you keep it clean they seem to run flawless. I also do not use hand loads so I'm not much help there, sorry. Just wanted to let you know my experience with the 1911. Hope that helps!

4 years 14 weeks ago, 11:33 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

Colonel
nice

thats what i had pretty nice gun for the price, deff a nice platform to use as a base model for upgrades, especially for the price.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 9:06 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
Colt 1911

I dont carry my colt very often because it is mainly my nightstand gun and it is too purty to get all dinged up! But when I do, I carry it inside the wasteband, at about... 3/4 oclock position(side of hip/above pack pocket) and dont have any problems concealing it and I am a pretty small dude. I carry it cocked and locked, not half cocked, not half cocked safety off, nothin.... condition one, cocked and locked period.

~Sig Sauer 516 Patrol 5.56 NATO~HK45 .45 ACP~HK45c .45 ACP~HK P30L 9mm~HK P30 .40 S&W~W. German Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP~Walther P22~
4 years 14 weeks ago, 12:06 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

Colonel
hk45

How many rounds u put through that baby so far, its a nice looking colt, I'm thinking about a 1991 blued

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:07 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
Gov model

With blued weapons and the carrying of them daily I have noticed a wear pattern in the bluing. This is something obvious but also something not many people consider when they are looking for a CCW gun as opposed to the range gun. I feel that I must bring up my fathers Colt 1911(Government Model). He does not carry it nor do I but the 2000+ rounds that it has eaten has only produced one mishap. Below zero weather, sat on shooting table and got really cold, I tried shooting with a glove on and the trigger caught the finger of the glove. Colts have a reputation for a reason. I always liked the Government model

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
4 years 14 weeks ago, 6:18 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

Colonel
sytasyn_syn

yea i know, and i would be hesitant to jam it in a holster and walk around all day like it was a springer GI.....at first, but the same applies to bikers you can always tell which ones are real bikers because their boots aren't black and shiny and their jackets have sun fade on the shoulders. This gun would be my last resort not a safe queen.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 9:37 PM

CelticArmory

CelticArmory's picture

Major
My Daily Carry

... is a Springfield XD45 Tactical 5". I OC and CC with it. I've CCed IWB. I also have a 5" 1911 that I occasionally carry. IWB isn't always comfortable (I need to get the Crossbreed Supertuck. But it is doable. Now, my 1911 is a Colt slide on and Essex frame. It's a fricken POS. The slide is great, the parts are great, the frame was fubed from the factory (too long between the mag catch and the top of the frame.) It took a LOT of modification to get it to work. I'm hoping to be able to save enough to get a Caspian frame.

"Guard well the words you use for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery."
4 years 13 weeks ago, 3:34 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
Springfield SS Loaded

I carried mine for 5 years. That is why I went with stainless. Sweat has much less effect on it. But it is heavy. My Pk380 is much easier to conceal. But for the money, the Springfield was great. But it only fed Ball ammo reliably. Feed Ramp issues with Hollows. But Hold-up guys seldom wear a vest. And you hit anyone with 230grs., do i need to say more? Also the Fiocchi worked best.

4 years 13 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

Colonel

and had it fixed, no problem. Your 1991 should feed any round its chambered in.....or its not working properly.

I'm aware stock 1911's may have trouble feeding hollow points, but thats the responsibility of a 1911 owner.

Most all of them need some kind of tweaking, in addition to continual maintenance and part replacement, then you'll have what everybody's been trying to copy for a hundred years......a fucking masterpiece.

.....(steps down from soap box) ....misty eyed

4 years 13 weeks ago, 1:44 AM

paint2ride

paint2ride's picture

Major
Kimber

I know you want to know about 5" models. I carry a 3" kimber and have put 1200 rounds through it. I trust it with my life it shoots great. I have also shot a couple 5" modles and they were even better. I truley think Kimber makes a very relible and accurate gun at a reasonable price. I know their not cheep. You get what you pay for. I didn't deem it relible till it had 1000 rounds throught it. Thefirst 500 rounds the gun was supper tight. It has loosesned up.

4 years 10 weeks ago, 8:43 AM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
1911 CARRY

Light weight pistols are all the rage for carry, Kimber, Colt,Springfield or Smith & Wesson you can't go wrong.

4 years 6 weeks ago, 2:13 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

But, light weight guns are not my particular preference. I want a all metal weapon which I can hit follow up shots with much faster.

I wonder if any of the Manufactures are going to release a Polymer 1911. The Taurus 24/7 45 OSS is a good weapon and I love the trigger on it, but it isn't a 1911 platform. I would love to see one and shoot it, I might actually go for that in plastic.

I think the design would would work well with it being that light...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 6 weeks ago, 2:27 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
I carry a 5" 1911

I have a Springfield 1911 full size. I carry with an inside the waist holster. I have to wear a loose shirt, but I am able to do it. The only issue I run into is that it is a little uncomfortable when I sit in my car or some other chairs (like restaurants). I've never had issues with feeding or ejection. It took maybe a little over 100 rounds to break in.
Me, I feel VERY comfortable with my 1911, knowing that as long as I can draw on time I won't have to worry about an attacker will ignore being hit and keep coming.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
4 years 6 weeks ago, 3:54 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General

Is also one of my most accurate and reliable. I carry a CAI Commadore with Hogue grips. I have fired just over 1000 rounds, and can't remember the last FTF or FTE I had. There were a few types of hollow points it didn't like, but figured that out quickly, now just stick with ammo it does like. I carry it in a SOB holster, and have no issues. I also have a Taurus PT 1911 AR I carry in a slide holster when concealment isn't an issue.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
4 years 6 weeks ago, 11:03 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General

Well I usually carry a high power but recently I got a ria 38 super in nickle. I have carried since I took it to the range the 1st time. I don't know I just really like it. I love the super. It has become my favorite cartrige. I have a gsr sig in 45acp that I. Used as my house gun. It also has been replaced by my new friend. I might have to get some night sights for it and some nice stocks but it is turning into my favorite full size pistol. There are lots of good 1911s to pick from

4 years 6 weeks ago, 7:04 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
how many rounds?

Well I was using several different loads and mags. I use ball at first. Aquila and umc. I had an ftf with the last round of the second mag. I fired 100 more rounds without issue. It's ready as far as I am concerned. I fired a few mags more of powerball. That's what I will carry. I will shoot more for the next few weeks But I trust it now as much as any auto.

4 years 6 weeks ago, 9:54 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
how many rounds

I have accepted the simple fact that an auto will never be a revolver but I practice with autos often. I Wii usually clear jams and such subconsciously. But if your pistol is broken in and you Are using ammo that has proven reliable in your pistol you are unlikely to have a problem with modern pistols

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 898 (0 members and 898 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,750, Comments: 162,477, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity