Forums / Gun Discussion / 5.45 x 39.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 9:58 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
5.45 x 39.

I seem the love this cartridge, and perhaps its for my love of the ak-74 but never the less, i prefer it to 5.56. What are you guy's favorite rifle calibers in semi auto rifles. My specific favorite round is the Hornady 60g VMAX. Great for self defense, or when SHTF ;), and the price is still great to load a couple mags for the house at 20$ per 50. And it fragments once inside the body so i wouldn't be worried about over penetration.

(NO CALIBER WARS, PLEASE. LETS DISCUSS.)

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:35 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
calibers

in a SHTF scenario I'll definitely bring more than one rifle unless I'm on foot. Most likely, I'll bring a 5.56/.223 just because ammo will likely be more available and it's still a good enough caliber to get the job done. I tend to like Corbon's 62 gr. DPX, Hornady's 55 gr VMAX and 62 gr TAP barrier (All of the TAP line is good). Second would probably be a 7.62x39 AK platform simply because it is a reliable short engagement rifle and a fairly common caliber. I usually stick to russian stuff, but my favorite is 123 gr. DPX or 150 gr. corbon hunter JSP. My personal favorite caliber for anti-personal is 7.62x51/.308. It works great for CQB out to 800M+. Again, I've had good luck with 168 gr. DPX and the TAP line. If I would be responsible for gathering food, I would definitely bring a .22LR and 12ga.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:47 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Some really great stuff brother, Yea if i was loading up the truck for SHTF, I'd bring the 74, 930spx
and the good old r700 PSS. For 12g i prefer the TAP personal defense. And if i could afford to shoot .308 all day long i'd choose Hornady TAP-FPD 155 gr. and the handgun of choice is the g20. And of course the m&p 15-22 for small game hunting.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:46 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

5.45x39 Wasp,TAP and Frangible
5.56x45 TAP, 64 gr Winchester JSP and Frangible
7.62x51 TAP, Frangible and JSP

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:47 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
OH!

and Reaper, someones got to shoot the food...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:49 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
edit 50$ per 20 **

edit 20$ per 50 **

3 years 37 weeks ago, 10:52 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Now that im thinking about it, i might want to take the 91/30 over the r700.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:03 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
why?

what cal is the 700? I would imagine x54R ammo would be fairly hard to come across...

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:05 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

You could walk into just about any populated area and come across it if needed...

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:06 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

.308, I just seem to shoot better with the nagant, i also have more ammo for it. And im sure it'd be hard to come across, but who knows. Maybe ill run into the ruskies and partner up. LOL.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:11 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

I'd have to shoot my brother for it though. hmmmm

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:15 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

LOL. Gotta love those beasts. Nothing beats an m21 set up. Besides your .338s etc..

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:16 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=55

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:18 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
700&91/30

well, you have to remember that a lot of the 54R ammo (all of the mil surp stuff) in corrosive. The only exception is new production brown, sliver and golden bear and wolf etc... So you'll continually have to be cleaning you're rifle. I sure wouldn't want that in a SHTF scenario. .308 will be more readily available and will do the same job on anything that 54R will. Not to mention that your PSS has a synthetic stock. The wood on the 91/30 won't last as long especially out in the elements, not to mention its 2 lbs heavier.... but hey, what ever floats your boat.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:19 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Reaper308 wrote:
well, you have to remember that a lot of the 54R ammo (all of the mil surp stuff) in corrosive. The only exception is new production brown, sliver and golden bear and wolf etc... So you'll continually have to be cleaning you're rifle. I sure wouldn't want that in a SHTF scenario. .308 will be more readily available and will do the same job on anything that 54R will. Not to mention that your PSS has a synthetic stock. The wood on the 91/30 won't last as long especially out in the elements, not to mention its 2 lbs heavier.... but hey, what ever floats your boat.

Yeah, i guess that was a clear sign of favoritism, i was sane in my first choice.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:25 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
true

I own both a 700 and 91/30. I probably would leave both for my M1A scout that was mentioned above. The M21 is pretty sweet. I have shot a match M1A next to my scout and the groups at 100M were identical.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:32 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Yea, i unfortunately do not own one, but i shot one,and i was getting sub moa all day long at 150yrds

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:34 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

though Billy's Vietnam issue M14 with selector is a wet dream. Even if I couldn't see flipping it to Auto. It would be a wild ride I'm sure with or without the front wood grip attached....

BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, everything including the Planes would have to duck...

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:35 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Yea, i give the nam boys alot of credit lugging that around, let alone shooting it for 20-30 minute engagements.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:39 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Very true...

Some like Billy refused to give it up for the Plastic Fantastic...

Hell he stomped around down in the Delta with the damn thing and told me he would not have carried anything else because of the range and it all being large flat areas with Patches of trees thrown around.

Some the end of times I'm gonna have to work a deal with Reaper on one of those donation rifles if a M1a shows up... hehe

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:39 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
yup

after carring those bad boys around I can totally understand their reluctance to carry a magical piece of black plastic.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 11:42 AM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

The first m16s were jam o matics, Im sure it took all the fancy attachments (m203s) to draw them in.

3 years 37 weeks ago, 4:56 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Jam-o-matics

I wasn't there when the first M-16's were issued out, but in looking back over the changes made to the rifle, I think the lack of training had as much, if not more to do with the issue then the design. The M-16 issued today is a very reliable rifle if properly maintained. Not my favorite, but still a very capable rifle. Anyone with more intimate knowledge care to educate me?

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 37 weeks ago, 5:09 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
oh boy

by 1974 when i was in the Marines there were no issues with the M16A1,which is what i had,the M203 was a replacement for the M79 grenade launcher more than anything,and the Blooper(M79) was the first weapon i was issued when i hit FMF K3/1.although the M79 was cool as hell to shoot,and very accurate in my hands,i can say that the M203 gave every 4 man fireteam additional firepower,which is what its all about.The M16A2,with 3 round burst,was added as i was getting out,we scoffed at the idea of being limited to a 3 round burst

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 37 weeks ago, 7:18 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Damn, you guys are

old!

Hahahahaha....

I crack me up

3 years 37 weeks ago, 7:24 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

some of us resemble that remark!

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 37 weeks ago, 7:33 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Oh, yeah...

I came across this eariler, kinda like the picture and figured I'd give JC something to look at.
Mmmm, yeah, so I guess I'll change now...

3 years 37 weeks ago, 7:17 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Caliber

Favorite caliber in my collection of guns is .30 for semi auto. My M1 is my top fave in the semi autos in my collection. With my 1911 as second but its a pistol.

Secondly though not a semi but until I get a better gun my Mosin Nagant would be my choice as a long range heavy hitter if the SHTF.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
3 years 37 weeks ago, 7:19 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Oh and

Welcome to the site SOCOM.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
3 years 37 weeks ago, 8:21 PM

Socom

Socom's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Bump.

Any other insight from the other guys?

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 807 (2 members and 805 guests)
LLE, captmax

Users Active within the last 24 hours
LLE, captmax, DanO, daisycutter, tallguy007, jpdental, jf.chandler sr., Pa Pa Tom, DanH, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,722, Comments: 162,118, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity