Forums / Gun Discussion / Bersa .380 Plus

user warning: Table './drupal6_gunslot/gunslot_sessions' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed query: SELECT COUNT(sid) AS count FROM gunslot_sessions WHERE timestamp >= 1506153138 AND uid = 0 in /var/www/drupal6/html/sites/all/modules/forumplus/forumplus.module on line 147.
6 years 31 weeks ago, 11:52 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Bersa .380 Plus

Hey guys, I was in one of the local gun shops today and saw a Bersa Thunder .380 plus (I think, it did have a 15 rnd magazine). I have seen a few blurbs on this pistol before and I liked it. When I got home tonight I decided to do some research on it. Can't find a lot of info on the plus, most of it is on the 7rnd model. Based on everything I can find so far it seems to be pretty good budget buy.

I would like to know if anyone here has a Bersa .380 plus, what you think of it. How accurate was it right out of the box? What is the recoil like? Does anyone know of any issues with these seemingly great little guns. Is it difficult to obtain spare magazines for them? I'm not stupid enough to just run out and buy one because it was a good looking gun that felt right. I really want to know if anyone has had any problems with them. If you did what kind of service did you get. I read the review here but it was on the regular thunder, would like a little more info and especially if it is on the .380 plus.

I would really appreciate your input. I know that some of you are going to tout other guns and that is fine, I respect your opinions. I'm not (yet, at least) sold on the Glocks. Don't really have anything bad to say about them, they just don't seem to fit me. I have also looked into some others. I have even shot a co-worker's Ruger LCP. It wasn't bad, just a bit small for my fat fingers and I didn't feel like I was in control of it. Have checked out a Kel-Tec, a Diamondback and Taurus also. Haven't fired them, but have held them and "dry" fired a few of them. They all gave me the same feeling, Not in control.

Thanks guys and gals.

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
6 years 31 weeks ago, 7:52 AM

fixxer72

fixxer72's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

RandyMC

Like you have handled the Bersa. Seems like a nice handling gun and the price was right. Ended up going with the Ruger LCP 380 which I also found to be to small for my hand and to hard to control. After much debate I traded the LCP for a Walther PK 380. Still a compact gun but a much better fit for my hand but still compact enough so my wife can handle easily. Check out the Walther just for shits and grins not that much more money and a much better looking gun.

6 years 24 weeks ago, 7:38 PM

Anonymous

Randy Bersa

Randy; I have a Bersa 380 and obtained a clip for 15 rds, from a friend that deals with a lot of teaching state troopers and such. I may have another clip, I have to be able to read them right though and if you want to go private. I will send you all the Mags I have in a bag and keep them all and see if one or more fit whatever you buy. The Bursa or Bersa too lazy to look it up ? It was and is a great firing and good looking Gun. It could pass for a Baretta anytime. My problem is my hands are too big for the smaller caliber guns. But it shot great right out of the box and accurate too. My hands just do not fit and when the slide would eject a shell and load another, it would rub against my hand between the thumb and fore finger. Besides it leaving a burn on my hand it was great and handled great for the wife and cheap.

But I got my friend to give me a bunch of clips and sure enough one fit and extended the length of the gun down the handle and onto the clip, so no more rubbing. The clip is a smith & wesson 15 rd and what gun I do not know. There used to be some surplus stores that had barrells of clips that people threw them in and just did not want or sold the gun without the extra or God knows right. Even shootstraight advertises the same clip interest and says that they have so many they will put them out some day? They have not yet. They are the ones that I wanted to try a gun before buying and told me for 15.00 and another 15.00 and range fee I could try one just like the one I wanted, and that was buying from them. So I do not deal there or shoot there period.

I know other guys like them, but I think they would be glad to sell with you buying from them. To each his own I guess. Now My wife and sister I bought a 25 cal tauras w/7shot clip and tip up barrell for first shot, so that is eight.If I remember right it was nickelw/ gold trigger &hammer and clip release and saftey, w/ fake pearl or whatever they called it PINK grips. They loved it for their B-days and carry. You know how women are, if it doesen't look beautiful they don't even want to look at it. The flip up 25 cal though is for the fact that either one could handle the slide to put a shell in. Hence flip up barrell. Also and extender on clip will let it fit a bigger hand.

They love it for looks and ease to shoot w/ very little recoil, and a 25 will kill you as fast as a 22lr, and 8 quick ones from a short distance, and the price is right. Especially for a woman or girl. I like the 380 for a second piece, like most cops and they get a bursa or Ruger LCP for that in Jerseyw/ clip extender, and usually ankle it or small of the back or while driving side piece. Go to the Gallery of Guns and Gun Genie and type in Taurus ap25cal, all semi autos, that should lead you there and scroll down untill the Nickle and pink w/ gold triggers pop up.

They also have a nice looking one for a man with nickle and gold and Brown, or tortoise shell. Go to the price quote, instant and type in 25 miles from where you live and other gun shops or pawn will knock off another 50 to 85.00 from the price. I got there's local from a guy I know from way back, for 235.00 each brand new. Also Impact arms usually has a sping clearance sale and it usually sells a lot of 380's, ruger and Bursa but not the Taurus, and they do sell used, so read carefully..Also ask about handling charge if ordered thru anybody. But if you want a piece for home invasion for a girl or wife to use, don't discount the 25cal so fast anymore. Taurus changed my mind. But nothing wrong with the Bursa or Bersa 380, and a dead ringer for a Barretta. But you have to see what the pink Taurus looks like w/gold and all. It is class for a woman or girl or hide a weapon around the house where only you and who you want to Know & nows where it is at. Man that was a lot of nows huh! Never was good at english spelling. John

6 years 24 weeks ago, 8:25 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General

I may take you up on it. Things are a little tight right now, so i'm sticking with my current wheel gun for the time being.

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
6 years 31 weeks ago, 10:30 AM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

General
hi

see if they have one at a gun shop u can shoot.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
6 years 31 weeks ago, 12:46 PM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
Bersa

A while back I was teaching at a local indoor range and we had a Bersa Thunder (7rd model).

It was the only 'cheap' pistol I was impressed with. I never saw ours (or any of the many we sold or trained folks on) malfunction, and the fit/finish was above average for a pistol at that pricepoint.

It's large for a .380, but fit my hands pretty well. If you can find one for under $250 (and you can) then I'd consider it a good value.

6 years 31 weeks ago, 9:21 PM

KS101010

KS101010's picture

Colonel

Id definitely find one to fire before you purchase one.

6 years 31 weeks ago, 4:23 PM

Shug22

Shug22's picture

Brigadier General
RandyMc

This is my daily carry (7 round). I don't leave the house without it and a CZ 82. Both are small and easy to conceal. Very accurate. Very dependable. I don't see how you can go wrong. That is until you get everyone's opinion about the .380, .40 and .45 round. Just remember what opinions are like. God Bless and good luck.

6 years 30 weeks ago, 11:09 AM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
nope

you couldn't pay me to own a .380.

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 30 weeks ago, 11:08 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Bersa

Thanks so much for the input that has been received to this point. I truly do appreciate all of the opinions. I stated in the OP that I knew that many would likely have preferred weapons. This also applies to calibers. I know that there are MANY who abhor the .380. Only a couple of years ago, I would have been right there with you. Though my attitude would have been more from ignorance, not experience or personal knowledge. I have learned over the last few months in particular that the .380 is NOT the same round it was once. For lack of a better expression or term, it was once a bastard round. A weapon that at one time cops and criminals alike used for more of a "throw down gun." Yes, some actually trusted it as a back up, but those were few and far between. A man told me not long ago something that I found I had to agree with. What he said is "If I find myself in a position where I HAVE to defend my family, my business, or myself, I would be better served by the .380 in my pocket than the .40 in my nightstand." The point he drove home to me is this: Although I hope I never am put into a position where I have to defend my family, my business, or myself, should that ever be the case, unless I am at home, I may not have the option of using the .357, a 9mm, or a .40. I'm a big guy, 235+ lbs, and only 5'9". This means that I have a rather sizeable middle section. Under the laws of my state, a concealed handgun CANNOT be easily discernable (it can't "print"), and if I am carrying it under those conditions, I really don't want it to. Texas currently does not have "open carry" or in other words constitutional carry. Perhaps one day they will. Should they ever adopt it I may opt for a full size weapon that can be carried "semi-concealed." I'm not sure that a small .38 is concealable enough and I don't think that with my size even a mid-sized 9mm or .38/.357 is concealable at all. Again, going back to what the guy said to me, "If I am ever in a position where I am forced to defend myself, a .380 in my pocket is better than a .40 at home in my nightstand (unless I'm home)." So Sytasyn-syn, I respect your position. As little as two years ago, I would have been right there with you, but after much soul searching, and some research on the matter, I can't say that I agree with you.

Fixxer, Thanks for your input. I have shot a PK380. It is a good weapon, for a .380, of that I have no doubt. My boss has one and I had the opportunity to shoot it. Perhaps it was just that weapon, but for some reason I could not hit what I was aiming at. It is possible that I was jerking the trigger thus pulling my shots. But, if I was, it had to do with the way the gun felt in my hands. I just wasn't comfortable with it. A 14 or 15 year old boy was with us, my boss's nephew, and he shot it really well. I just didn't feel that comfortable with it. His dad, my boss's brother, was also there and he also shot well with it and used it to qualify for his ccl. At this point, the PK380 just isn't for me. Its not really a money thing on this one, is a comfort level. Again Thank you!

Tallguy and KS101010, I definitely plan to try to do that. The place where I took my ccl class the owner there is a lady who offers beginner's classes and she accepts some kids. I want to try to get the money together and see if my 12 year old daughter would be interested in learning to shoot from someone much more skilled than I am. I can give basic instruction, and gun safety, but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to really give her the basic information that she really needs. I have been shooting for some 40 years and I do many things out of rote and I am afraid that I have forgotten to tell her something. Also this lady introduces her beginners to rimfires, including semi-automatics, then moves them up to low caliber centerfires and introduces them to both wheel guns and semi-autos. I got the impression that she bases how far she is willing to take them based on her perception of what they understand about recoil in the beginning and what she sees when she takes them to the range. I am hoping that I can get her to give my daughter a day's worth of training and perhaps I can then talk her into taking a bersa .380 plus if she has one and letting me shoot it, or at the very least see how it shoots. I think that would be pretty cool. A day at the range with my daughter learning that guns aren't just a "guy thing" and that there are some pretty good lady shooters too.

Texas Lucky and Shug, Thank you guys too. Lucky, that is some VERY encouraging information. I am smart enough to realize that every gun maker in the world is going to have SOME problem children. Just as every automaker has some. But a maker who is new to the American market and perhaps also relatively new to making guns period, and can put out a pistol that has fewer than say 5% rejects hit the market, that is impressive at least to me. According to what I have seen so far, that is what Bersa has done. Produced a weapon that seems to have less than 5% problem children. Shug, your information is also encouraging. To have someone tell me that it is their daily carry, that they don't leave home without it, basically that you do regularly and consistently trust your life and those of your loved ones to it, to me that is indeed a testimony to the weapon. Thanks guys.

I truly do appreciate the information so far. I'm NOT trying to emmulate "Bond, James Bond," by considering this gun. Yes it is quite similar to the Walther PPK and PPK/S, but that is not why I like it. I like those too, but if I can buy a Bersa for less than half of what I can buy a PPK or PPK/S, they are the same caliber, and I don't see any significant technology differences, why would I pay more for basically the same gun? Especially since I am on a budget. That doesn't mean that I'm willing to sacrifice quality simply to save a few bucks, just that I will have to save longer to buy the quality.

6 years 30 weeks ago, 3:46 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
it is not a .380

I would suggest you look at the Smith and Wesson 632.
It is my back-up at work (Detroit)
.38 SP +P, Hammerless 5 shot.
five things make this an option for you.
1. it is not a .380
2. it sits in my pocket all day in a nylon pocket sheath and is hidden
3. it is not a .380
4. its a .38 SP +P
5. it is not a .380
not to mention it is a Smith!

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 30 weeks ago, 4:24 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
randymc

if money is not a problem ..check out the Sig P238 .380 SA. GREAT GREAT GUN.ITS A MINI 1911 AND shoots like butter...And if it is for the same price or a little more than your bersa check out the NAA Guardian DA. It is a little heavier than the bersa but more concealable and its craftman'ship is un-believable. i own both and my daughter shoots both with no problem.I highly reccomend either. go on yu-tube and see for yourself.

...check... G-AZ
6 years 30 weeks ago, 6:46 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
wait

your about two meatloaf sandwichs away from being able to conceal a 1911 no problem,don't get a .380.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
6 years 30 weeks ago, 2:30 AM

6464mt

6464mt's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Bersa .380 Thunder

I have one and wrote a gun review here some time ago on Guns Lot.com. I love mine, have put close to 500 rounds through it at a local outdoor range here. Great for concealed carry, it is lightweight, but the .380 can pack some punch(recoil) with the short barrel. Accurate as all get out, the barrel is pinned to the frame. There are several reviews online and all of them give the Bersa really good comments. I did all the research before I bought it and I am glad I invested the time. I made the right choice for my budget and for the accuracy I found out of it.

6 years 30 weeks ago, 8:33 AM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
BERSA 380

Spend your money on a Colt, Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Think about the lifetime warranty!

6 years 30 weeks ago, 7:38 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Bersa .380

Spend your money on a Glock. Think about the fact that you don't need to worry about a warranty! Hee hee.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
6 years 28 weeks ago, 11:39 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
MODS

I think someone wants to be banned for spam.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 0 (0 members and guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
gunslingercharlie, jpdental
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,909, Comments: 158,765, Members: 23,516
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity