Forums / Gun Discussion / best 9mm for around 300$

6 years 17 weeks ago, 10:35 AM

cohenj87

cohenj87's picture

Sergeant

ok so im not to framiliar with 9mms and one of my good friends just got his permit to purchase. He wants a 9mm, i shoot an xd 45 and absolutely love it hands down i recommended the xd 9mm to him but its out of his price range. so what is a good 9mm for around 300 new or used he eventually wants to get his permit to carry so it has to be some what light and compact to. Thanks for your input.

6 years 17 weeks ago, 11:39 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

you should be able to find a used glock or xd for $300-$350. both are good guns. look into a ruger, they tend to be a little cheaper. S&W makes the sigma series that starts around $300-$350 new.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 17 weeks ago, 1:57 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General
me too

I was going to say ruger...you can get them or $300-400 and used glock for $250-350 depending on caliber and series

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
6 years 17 weeks ago, 2:14 PM

Andrew530

Andrew530's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
im also thinking about

im also thinking about buying my first handgun do you think the glock 17c is a good investment

6 years 17 weeks ago, 7:47 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
g17c

sure, if you want a 9mm, and you like the feel of the full size frame (not for concealed carry) the g17 is a good choice. not sure if you really need a full size 9mm compensated though, but if you like how it feels, its gonna be a very durable weapon.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 17 weeks ago, 4:40 PM

cohenj87

cohenj87's picture

Sergeant

he is looking at a bersa thunder.

6 years 17 weeks ago, 4:01 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House

I BPOGHT MY STOEGER COUGER FOR 325 NEW OUT THE DOOR....I LOVE IT

...check... G-AZ
6 years 17 weeks ago, 6:46 PM

cohenj87

cohenj87's picture

Sergeant

is it picky on ammo at all? i know my xd with feed perfectly with 500 rounds of the worst ammo through it with no cleaning.

6 years 17 weeks ago, 6:53 PM

jordsamsar

jordsamsar's picture

First Lieutenant
9mm

I just purchased a Ruger P95 9mm, it was hardly used, has a 4" barrel, not heavy at all and easy to carry concealed. I've put a couple hundred shots through it since early June, it's holding up great. I paid about 250 for it, with two magazines.
Jsar

6 years 17 weeks ago, 8:01 PM

Anonymous

nice guns

I know a deputy sheriff here in Washington state that has carried a P95 for many years, oh probably since 1996, i only remember this cause he got it shortly after his son, my friend, graduated.He has shot this pistol in competition and law enforcement practice and he used to let us take it out and shoot it. So it has had alot of ammo put thru it. It even looks "beat up from the feet up" but he refuses to replace it. He always says"hell,if a coupla kids can take it out an shoot it and not screw it up this is the gun that will keep me above ground". So as far as holding up I believe you are correct.

6 years 16 weeks ago, 4:56 PM

cohenj87

cohenj87's picture

Sergeant

one of my other friends carrys a ruger sr9 i believe its called. i shot that right out of the box and really liked the feel of it but i seemed to be a horrible shot with it when im a very good shot with my xd. how much do these rugers go used for? i imagine with a little adjustment of the sights and practice shooting it that one could hit there mark with out a problem right?

6 years 16 weeks ago, 5:11 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House

i only hear good things about rugers, very durable guns. i have'nt had any problems with ammo with my couger. 500 rounds and not a single jam. but i do clean it allot.....like any gun as long as you maintain it it should last a life time

...check... G-AZ
6 years 3 weeks ago, 6:12 PM

steve76108

steve76108's picture

First Lieutenant
ruger p95

I own a ruger p95 and let me tell you I would'nt take for this handgun. I'm a large guy 6'3" and have large hands and so as many people know firsthand finding a pistol to fit your grip isn't easy. This weapon fills my hand and is very reliable. At 30 yards I can empty the clip into the head section of a man sized and shape target shooting at a fast pace. I cannot say this for many handguns I have owned and fired. In my opinion the ruger p95 is money well spent and for 300.00 you cannot beat it.

6 years 3 weeks ago, 6:36 PM

FreedomMilitaria

FreedomMilitaria's picture

Major General
9mm

you can buy a new Taurus PT24/7 pro 9mm for about 360.00. 17+1 capacity is great and it is rock solid. deadly accurate too.

If you do not stand behind our troops...please stand in front of them....
6 years 3 weeks ago, 2:58 PM

ja0124

ja0124's picture

Colonel
If it was me

I would look into a used glock 17, taurus 24/7, springfield xd or smith & wesson mp. I have a glock that some friend and i have put to many rounds to count thru and she works just like the first time i took her out of the box. I like the taurus also but have not shot the springfield or smith but i hear good things about them.

5 years 49 weeks ago, 3:14 PM

SUPERFRYE

SUPERFRYE's picture

Colonel
beretta 92f

I would go with agood used beretta 92f or any 92 series, I have seen them in pawn shops for around 300-400. I love mine would'nt get rid of anything else other than a m9, but their the same thing.

5 years 49 weeks ago, 3:18 PM

Eturnit3

Eturnit3's picture

Lieutenant General

for about 350 used...

The time is coming when those who kill you will think they are offering service to God. Jesus - (John 16.2) A penny saved is a government oversight.
5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:32 PM

GSXRFANN

GSXRFANN's picture

Master Sergeant

I like the Taurus 9mm's. They are usually around that price range when you can find one.

5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:34 PM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General
Taurus

GO with the PT-92 it's excellent.... love them

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses
5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

GSXRFANN

GSXRFANN's picture

Master Sergeant
above

ssrs10 wrote:
GO with the PT-92 it's excellent.... love them

That's what I have and I love it! Very fun to shoot.

5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
taurus

I've got the 24/7 pro...45....the nine is also sweet.It was gun of the year a few years back. shoots great and best bang for the buck...about 400.00mabey less......

...check... G-AZ
5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:44 PM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General
ebear

You like them? I almost bought one the other night? You shoot it much?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses
5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:50 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
love it

i have'nt shot it much over the holidays............but id say about 300 rds so far. I cleaned it good when I got it and it shoots real sweet. The fit is very comfortable in my hand. and shit 12-1 for a .45 is also very sweet.But i'll tell you what. im gonns up-grade my 9mm. Stoeger Couger next year and im getting that XDm 9 mm.I know a Guy who got the Xdm .40 and he says its the shit!!!. Im gonna shoot it soon.

...check... G-AZ
5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:53 PM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General
ebear

Excellent....

5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:57 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
yup

im gonna chill for abouit a year on buying guns.I bought 2 in about a month.Ole Lady is startin to bitch a little.I had told her only one and now i have 3!!!!

...check... G-AZ
5 years 48 weeks ago, 9:02 PM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General
There you go...

There you go...

5 years 48 weeks ago, 5:38 PM

dave329

dave329's picture

Colonel

I own a Ruger P89. Great gun never a problem with any ammo! Good accuracy Very tough gun,just a little big for carry in my opinion.
Kel-Tec has a Pf9 that is the lightest .9 I have ever seen.Very concealable I would give that some consideration. Recoil is a little stiff though. I guess that is a trade off for how light the gun is! Carry wise I feel that is pretty good!

5 years 48 weeks ago, 7:38 PM

mudrat12

mudrat12's picture

Corporal
9 MM

I had bought the XDM40 about two months ago and in my opinion it is one of the best guns I have ever had. I have been looking at the the new XDM 9. I have got to start saving because I feel it is a fine gun like the 40. Yep it is about 200 higher but damm sure worth the money. I saw one in the gun shop today for 585.00. plus tax. I hope springfield comes out with a XDM 45 :)

5 years 48 weeks ago, 8:51 AM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
oh

so that means you can get it here on Gunslot for about $1000.00

...check... G-AZ
5 years 48 weeks ago, 4:12 PM

FreedomMilitaria

Major General
exactly

glad to see someone else has noticed the unbelievable profit margin they ask for here.
nothing like trying to rob your fellow members on the site!

5 years 48 weeks ago, 4:16 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
yup

but Im sure there are some chumps who will pay anything

...check... G-AZ
5 years 48 weeks ago, 5:09 PM

FreedomMilitaria

Major General
sad but true

theres one born every minute

5 years 48 weeks ago, 12:36 PM

Dr.angusmd21

Dr.angusmd21's picture

Major General
S&W 9mm

swear by my s&w 6909. even found some for less than 300 outside of kansas city. there was a link floating around on here for the site

2850 fps
5 years 48 weeks ago, 5:06 PM

Nitris

Nitris's picture

Lieutenant General

Czech CZ 82 love mine wife loves her's holds 12 rounds comes with two mags and leather holster. All for 204.00

Ron Paul 2012 III
5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:20 PM

countykeyman

countykeyman's picture

Major
best 9mm

I am awfully partial to the West German Sig p225. A lot of them are coming in used now. I got mine for $200 shipping included. After buying A wolff reduced mainspringb and a srt kit I still came out at $260. It now shoots like a dream.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician" - Jeff Cooper
5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:32 PM

zx12rmike

zx12rmike's picture

President Pro Temp
From where?

From where?

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home" Thomas Jefferson
5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:01 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

it was probably a German police trade in. they're pretty common. pretty old, with 8 rd. mag cap (i think), buy they're still great shooters.

5 years 46 weeks ago, 9:55 AM

millerman

millerman's picture

Major
countykeyman

where did you get a sig for that price ?gotta know .

5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:33 AM

Gunnin88

Gunnin88's picture

Major General

I love my glock but have no other 9mm shooting history to compare to.

01*20*2013 Obamas last day!
5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:41 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Glock is best

I have fired Browning, Hi-point, Ruger, Taurus, Beretta, Sig, and Springfield 9mm guns, and Glock feels the best. I have had very few malfunctions with the lot of them, and they were all accurate enough for defense use, but the Glock felt the best to me. The Springfield XD comes very close, though. If you choose a gun from any of the big companies, you'll be fine for defense. It's a personal comfort thing I think.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 46 weeks ago, 9:53 PM

countykeyman

countykeyman's picture

Major
sig for 200

Buds Guns in Kentucky, I am not sure if they still have any in stock. it was a west german police trade in. Only bad thing is slight holster wear. As for the 8 rd. mag, it's only one less than my glock 27 and the sig is way more accurate

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician" - Jeff Cooper
4 years 30 weeks ago, 7:40 PM

drmiller

drmiller's picture

Corporal

Hi all,

Looking for a nice 9mm around this same price range. I've been doing a lot of research and I'd like to get a glock (17, 19) , sig, springfield xd, beretta 92fs, or cz-75. I realize for my price range these will most likely need to be used. I'm having a helluva time trying to find any of these guns in that price range online, because I can only find new ones.

I'd be interested in buying a LE trade-in since they are similar to the type of handgun I'm searching for, or just a good quality used one from a reputable seller. Where should I be looking?
Also, this thread is over a year old, so I'm wondering if gun prices have risen a bit as well?

Additionally, I'm also considering buying a Glock 26, Kahr PM9, or similar instead so that I wouldn't have to buy a different gun down the road for a CCW.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: FWIW I'm in the Sioux City, IA area, and there isn't much locally.

4 years 29 weeks ago, 6:22 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
check out

The Stoeger Couger.. I had one and it was a great gun. I still to this day regret selling mine. Its sa/da action about 3.9 inch barrel and is made in Turkey.the go for about 350.00 new. they come in 9 mm and .40.

...check... G-AZ
4 years 30 weeks ago, 7:43 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
docmiller

go to a local range.
Most of the shops there have used rentals or consignment and pricing to beat the pawn and gun places.
Good luck.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 30 weeks ago, 8:01 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
drmiller

check out www.auctionarms.com or www.gunbroker.com to get a feel for the price ranges,then register and bid on a gun your wanting to get at either site,These sites have valuable information on how to legally purchase and receive your new handgun.If your looking for feedback and reviews on the type guns you mentioned,check here in the gun forum.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 30 weeks ago, 8:45 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
drmiller

if you'll take a .40 instead of 9mm...call Scottsdale Gun Club 480-222-4369. They almost always have 2nd gen glock 22's or 23's for around $300... and 3rd generation 22's and 23's for around $340. All are .40 since they're LE trade ins. Some have night sights. They'll ship.

4 years 30 weeks ago, 10:36 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

One of the Nations largest gun dealers is J&G sales out of Prescott.. This firm advertises in most gun related media...(Shotgun news etc) and always has a large number of LE trades from a number of diffrent agencies (consequently diffrent cal choices as well) i will furnish both phone and Webb address.

Your thoughts on LE trade ins are excellent.. Fact is it's virtually impossible for the average shooter to ever wear out a modern firearm, and the average LE carry piece will normally not have the rounds fired thru it that the neighborhood gun nut (sorta every one of us) puts thru thier weapons, and i can assure you that the LE weapon will be kept in better shape (cleaned and oiled) than our "average" shooter.. The only downside will be a bit of holster wear on the finnish, and slight amount of grip wear and/or discoloration.. So good call..

I feel comfortable recommending this firm as they are family owned and operated, have been in bussiness for decades, and as they are fairly close i use them as my own dealer.. and have personally purchased seven guns from them over the last 5 years..

J&G sales .. www.jgsales.com .. 928-445-9650 (free catalog) .. good luck to you..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
4 years 30 weeks ago, 12:04 PM

Pkato

Pkato's picture

General
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
One

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9743370&oh=216543

Patrolman Kato
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone
under independence. -- George Washington
4 years 30 weeks ago, 6:58 PM

drmiller

drmiller's picture

Corporal

Is it unreasonable to find a good one used for around this $300 mark? I've been viewing the sites you've all recommended, but excluding the g17 on auction (and I doubt it stays at that price), most are around $400 used for any of the models I mentioned above.

I suppose it's harder to find a 9mm LE trade-in nowadays too, since so many use .40S&Ws. I really would like a 9mm, as I plan to get a 9mm subcompact for ccw down the road, and it just makes sense to have the same caliber to me.

Honestly the more I think about it, If I could find a g26 or sa xd 9mm sc for around that price, I'd probably just kill two birds with one stone and call it a day.

However, the cheapest I've found them used locally is just under $450. For this reason, getting a g17 or g19, or xd9mm used would be ideal as the mags would be interchangeable, but any of them I listed in the first post for $300 would be great too, and would be much better range and home protection pieces as well.

4 years 30 weeks ago, 7:41 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
well drmiller

i have a G19 and G26,interchangeable magazines,yep,soon to have a G34,interchangeable magazines,yep,price wise,i do trades and cash on my deals but they are around 550-600 each,before the trading starts.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 29 weeks ago, 3:22 PM

drmiller

drmiller's picture

Corporal

thanks for the websites guys. I haven't been able to find a gun in my ideal price range, but it has showed me some good deals on guns that would work as a jack of all trades for me in a bit higher price point. ($400-450).

4 years 29 weeks ago, 6:27 PM

ohioshooter

ohioshooter's picture

Brigadier General
make them look for me lol , ohio , United States
guns lol

I have 2 bersa s one in a 22 and a 45 ultra compact like them both the 45 came with 2 mags ,And the 22 is a little picky on ammo ,but they both shoot well mags are hard to find at times , and being a 1911 fan i have a few but in 45s, I am looking for a 1911 in a 9mm myself i have 2 others in a 9,, i have a kel teck and a hi point I carry out on my boat and as a truck gun pur say they both shoot well, the kel teck is light and it has more recoil and the hi point shoots very good for a 150. Dollar gun look at a metroarms i found a new one in a 45 for 390 bucks with 2 mags and a case it came home with me like i need another gun lol but it was a good deal and it shoots well right out of the box and JHPs ran very well only have only shot 50 rounds of them. I d stay away from charter arms a lady bought one and she came back to the shop with it because the barrel turned in the frame . She sent it back to the factory .but we never heard from her after as far as what to buy some places will rent guns so you can see what they feel like and how they shoot before you buy

"I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy."
4 years 28 weeks ago, 3:38 PM

drmiller

drmiller's picture

Corporal

I came to the conclusion that you can no longer find a good one for $300, save for maybe a gunshow. I ended up spending $450 and bought an XD 9mm subcompact bitone off of gunbroker. Love the gun, couldn't be happier.

4 years 28 weeks ago, 5:52 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
drmiller

the xd is a good buy. I would trust it anyday over a brand new gun in the $300-$350 range. I've found that people wanting to spend less on a pistol have to either find a good brand gun used, in good condition... or buy a cheaper off brand, which are hit and miss as far a reliability goes. If you're willing to spend $450-$550 you can always find a good NEW quality piece. good choice.

4 years 28 weeks ago, 10:40 PM

drmiller

drmiller's picture

Corporal

i agree. And I think gun prices have just gone up in the last 1-2 years, making it a lot harder to find that quality used piece in the 3's. I'm sure I could've found one if I waited long enough, but I was ready to shart shooting.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 680 (0 members and 680 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,591, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity