Forums / Gun Discussion / Best Remington 700 ammo

3 years 8 weeks ago, 4:26 PM

rugerman94

rugerman94's picture

Captain

I am thinking about buying a Remington 700, and want a good long range round that also has some stoppin power. I'm thinkin 7mm mag. or .308, any suggestions?

3 years 8 weeks ago, 7:39 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
Rem M700 Ammo

Well it would be hard to disparage the .308 since the U.S. military uses it for a sniper round. My choice would be the .30-06 or .270. The .270 has a flatter trajectory, but my preference is the .30-06 due to the versatility in loads, availability, and cost.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
2 years 39 weeks ago, 7:28 PM

VernDog

VernDog's picture

Captain
remington ammo

Our troops have started using .300 win mag in afganistan as per it's longer range. All the ammo our snipers use is custom made to shoot in the firearm employed. The 165gr bullet is in fact the exzact same bullet used in the .308. I do also recall watching a segment on the millitary channel showing the use of 180gr bullets in the .308 which retains lb. feet down range. The tracjectory of any round can be maximized by the use of balistic computor.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:59 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
700 ammo

Winchester, S&B, Black Hills, Federal, Corbon, Hornady, Fiocchi, American Eagle etc... all make match grade ammo in .308 for precision shooting. There are plenty of good hunting loads available as well. 7mm may run a little more expensive for factory ammo but there are plenty of choices. What are you planning on shooting?

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 8 weeks ago, 3:43 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
We could go on forever

and not answer that question correctly. The Remmy 700 has attained a "mystique" for some unknown reason. Hell, you couldn't run fast enough to give me one. The Alabama I know is not going to offer many long range shots to the rural hunter. Nor will it offer game larger than the feral hog or gator. If you just want a sniper rifle, then get a .308 and some Hornady ammo.
As Reaper asked, what are you planning on shooting?

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
3 years 8 weeks ago, 7:34 PM

Anonymous

Remington ain't

even American anymore. So buy an older one cause repairs will be outsourced to any subcontractor available on new guns

other than that your question is to vague for a proper response

else I'd push .300 mag for distance and destructive power
like bull dropper to 300 yards for hitting shoulder
then make a red mushroom cloud out of a coyote at 1500 yards

but even the .300 has diversified with RUM, Norma, and SSM, and maybe more

3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:14 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
Not true

Last I checked, the 700 was still being produced in Ilion, NY. They have even opened a plant in Mayfield, KY. Their ammo is made in Lonake, AR. And here is a list of the repair facilities:
http://www.remington.com/pages/support/repair-services.aspx
All in the U.S.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:18 AM

nightfire

nightfire's picture

Major
Magpul and Remington

Still retain their names and US law has it that in order to sell firearms in the US you must have a division in the US
So a European conglomerate owns Remington and Savage and Marlin and whomever else aint tellin

As for the service nightmare- practical experience
A hunting partner bought one at k-mart and it wouldn't eject empties without a block of wood hammer.
It got returned and it never left the state, matter of fact it never left the town.
It got fixed and had clamp marks in the plastic and contact cleaner etched bluing
compliments of Remington, but it did get fixed
this happened 10 years ago

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:25 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
Remington

Cerberus Capital Management is a private equity firm based out of New York. They have a holding company called the Freedom Group which is based out of Madison, North Carolina. The Freedom Group owns Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Marlin, H&R, AAC, Barnes Bullets and others. Just google it.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:48 AM

nightfire

nightfire's picture

Major
Ja Ja mein Herr(hint)

Like the Bush owned steel mill that had free laborers lol.

Absorbed that like in 09

3 years 8 weeks ago, 10:55 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
yes

I realize that parts may be made and partially assembled oversees. I was just saying that the statement:

nightfire wrote:
a European conglomerate owns Remington
was not correct. If you feel I'm wrong, please tell me who the "European conglomerate" is. Same with Magpul (I was under the impression they were still owned and operated out of Colorado).

2 years 23 weeks ago, 8:09 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
mmmm

Kool Aid

3 years 8 weeks ago, 9:33 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Less money just as accurate if not more so....

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:22 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
Savage

Savage makes a good rifle. And that Accutrigger IS something else. Doesn't it have a warning about the trigger on the bolt or something? Or am I thinking of another rifle?

3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:02 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General

My personal fav is the Hornady TAP rounds... Accurate, reliable, and devastating in impact. What more could you ask for?

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:05 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Ronin

you tried out the Tap 223 yet? Does a hell of a job on car doors and windows.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:11 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
ISD

Not yet, but religiously use the tap .45 ACP in my carry, and the .308 in my baby... A FN 1A1 SPR.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:20 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Ronin

sweet rifle.

Billy turned me onto TAP for my FP10 a while back. From what I've been told they are making it for the AK's now also. I just found out tonight that an old firend is now working for Blackhawk and is going to see what he can do about ammo pricing for me. He doesn't deal in the commercial sales area but is going to check with a buddy of his that does.

I've been carrying Golden Saber lately but going to try out the TAP 9mm and see how it feeds in my SP01. Will change if no hickups, nothing but good things being said about it.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:28 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
ISD

Haven't used the tap .45 on a person yet, but dropped a 220 pound feral pig with a single shot. And as for the .308, dropped a white-tail at 530 yards last season. didn't even run, just keeled over. When we opened it, had entered through the jungtion of it's neck and chest.. liquified one lung, half the other, and about 3/4 of it's heart. No meat was ruined. Penetration stopped within 11 inches.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:34 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
That will do..

Sounds like the effects of a close up hit with a frangible. Massive cavitation but out at distance.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 8:40 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
One more choice

You could go with the .300 RUM. Remington makes a power level ammo for this and you can choose what you need:

PL1 = 150gr .30-06 equivalent Muzzle Velocity/Energy: 2910 fps/2820 ft. lbs.

PL2 = 180gr .300 Magnum equivalent Muzzle Velocity/Energy: 2960 fps/3501 ft. lbs.

PL3 = 180gr full .300RUM load. Muzzle Velocity/Energy: 3250 fps/4221 ft. lbs.
-or-
PL3 = 200gr A-frame Full .300RUM load. Muzzle Velocity/Energy: 3032 fps/4083 ft. lbs.

There's even a managed recoil for lighter loads:
150gr. PSP Muzzle Velocity/Energy: 2815fps/2639 ft. lbs.

But this ammo is all very expensive in my opinion. Plus, I don't see the need for anything more powerful than the .30-06 in North America.

3 years 6 weeks ago, 12:10 PM

rugerman94

rugerman94's picture

Captain
good advise

to answer reapers q...deer, feral hogs stuff like tht is what il be shooting maybe some gator on the next trip south, thanks for the advise guys and im kinda im still considering like 4 ammo types all of which ones suggested above so thanks for the help, il research based on what i can spend and what i need for deer round here

3 years 5 weeks ago, 3:07 PM

dentalninja

dentalninja's picture

Major
Remington

As others have posted, Remington ain't what it used to be. I recently bought an ADL in .308 that could barely hit A FIFTY FIVE GALLON DRUM at 100 yards, MOST of the time. Two different scopes, 9 different types & brands of ammo. I sold it at a loss to some unsuspecting victim, although he stands to lose less than me.

As Vaquero stated--you couldn't run fast enough to give me another Rem 700.

Regarding cartridges--I like .308 for what you're planning on shooting. It will do fine without being over/under powered. IMO it's the best all-around high-powered rifle cartridge. Abundant, powerful, accurate, moderate recoil.

I would look at the new Winchestor model 70 made at FN. Savage makes a good, inexpensive gun, and the Ruger 77 is also a good choice.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 931 (1 member and 930 guests)
DanO

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,904, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity