Forums / Gun Discussion / Can I Get A Decent AK For $500 Or Less?

5 years 37 weeks ago, 5:27 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

If so what are my options, and what are my opinions?

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
5 years 37 weeks ago, 5:53 PM

dockit

dockit's picture

Major General

Shakleford Stay away from anything made by Century, go here if you want more help with aks:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php?

I intend to live forever, or die trying. It Could Be that the Purpose of Your Life is Only to Serve as a Warning to Others. Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them. All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
5 years 37 weeks ago, 5:56 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

a Century.......What's wrong with them? Are they built cheap?

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
5 years 37 weeks ago, 6:03 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
My AK is a Century,

all stamped receiver AK's are built cheap (to some degree) and the AK design in and of itself is a limitation but my $400 Century will digest anything you stuff in the magazine and I have a thousand rounds through it and never a problem.

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
5 years 37 weeks ago, 9:09 PM

ACE

ACE's picture

Lieutenant General
I have a DPMS!!

Iv had no problems with it, but its outta Ur price range Shakleford. Sorry I cant help out anymore!!

“When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.”- George Washington
5 years 37 weeks ago, 9:13 PM

hillbilly77

hillbilly77's picture

Lieutenant General

I have a Century and a WASR and they both eat anything I feed them. The only thing that I did to the WASR was replaced the shepard hook spring with a tapco retaining plate. My buddy has a Fuller built AK and for anyone that knows AK's these guys build some of the nicest out there and guess what it shoots no different then my cheep AK's.

“If ever time should come,when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of it's experienced Patriots to prevent it's ruin."Samuel Adams
5 years 37 weeks ago, 4:57 AM

dockit

dockit's picture

Major General

Start by doing some research on Century you'll find there AK's are a crap shoot. You may get something decent or junk, remember when Romanian was in the final stag of shipping they sent everything including there out of spc parts the crap that was to be scrapped). All are kit builds and God only know which monkey was working that day to build them. Do your research don't believe what I say, go check for yourself.

The wasr 10 variant of the AK is basically the "bargain bin" AK. they typically shoot fine, but some of them develope problems (triggerslap) and some (many that ive seen) have canted sights and off center gas blocks (some after being fired after two rounds the entire gas tube on the barrel shifted to the left) they lack the dimples on the recievers to hold the mags in place properly as well. i havent really messed with any synt mags with it, but from what ive read it wont accept all ak mags. the gun overall is a toy or a last ditch go to in an emergency. after shooting that and then shooting a well built AK any Norinco, polytech, bulgarian, and hungarian and yes, you can feel a huge difference, id say that you should just try to stick with steel mags. the chinese ones typically work well in the WASR.

i know a few of you on this boards love their wasr's and will burn me at the stake for this post but in all honestly, the rifle is just for fun and to have until you finds a better make. if you payed over 400 for it, you got ripped off.

but it is an AK, and for the most part, it will still go bang every time.

I intend to live forever, or die trying. It Could Be that the Purpose of Your Life is Only to Serve as a Warning to Others. Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them. All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
5 years 37 weeks ago, 8:03 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

I believe what you are saying dockit, the Century is the 'Hi point' of the AK world (well sorta), their quality control is all over the place, I got a good one. I own a Century AR as well and have been pleased with it's performance (for the price) but my RRA is a far better shooter. In the end, if you only have $400 to spend and you want a rifle now, what else are you going to buy at that price point?

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
5 years 37 weeks ago, 5:12 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General
Cheap AK

Hamp said, "In the end, if you only have $400 to spend and you want a rifle now, what else are you going to buy at that price point?".

An SKS.
I'm surprized someone else hasn't brought this up.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
5 years 36 weeks ago, 4:36 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

Now I have the Ak Bug!

5 years 37 weeks ago, 12:09 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
CAI

only assembles the rifles... they have nothing to do with the quality of the parts. They assemble a ton of imported AK kits. As dockit said, WASR's are cheaper entry model AK's but I know a guy that has one and it eats everything with no problems. Not the most accurate, but it works. If you do look at WASR's, stay away from the single stacks. Romanian "G" kits will be better than the WASR's. They are what the Romanian military was issued. Nitris needs to get ebear out of his mouth and speak up on this one. Under $500 is pretty limited, you may be better off saving up a little more for a Bulgarian. I know Nitris has heard a few unflattering things, but I swear by my Lancaster 3060 which is a G kit gun. Pkato has one too, and I haven't heard any complaints from him. You can get one of those for a little over $600 if you buy directly from Lancaster.

A couple rifles below exceed your $500 limit.

Here is an example of the Romanian G... (I know this particular one is backordered, but even though its assembled by CAI I wouldn't have a problem relying on it. It has a US bbl and receiver and Romanian G kit)
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/p/roman...

another one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=195539474

Yugo $469
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/p/yugos...

Milled polish $589
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/p/polis...

centerfire has a few in their online catalog also:
http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/Centerfire-Systems-Inc/centerfiresyste...

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 36 weeks ago, 4:47 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

I think that I'll wait till after Christmas to get one, so ya'll have given me some stuff to research......Thanks!

5 years 36 weeks ago, 7:24 AM

dockit

dockit's picture

Major General

Shakleford you can go here to find deals on ak's
http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype=arms&category=1

5 years 30 weeks ago, 10:13 PM

TLtactical

TLtactical's picture

Major General
AK's and Century Arms

I will start out saying this: Ak's are made to be a cheap rifle to throw cheap ammo downrange, not to be sniper rifles or even all that accurate... This being said... Century arms makes some of the cheapest rebuilds around and if you want accuracy avoid them like the plague! Ak's again are not intended for great accuracy so Century being cheap is not an issue...

Century is the largest importer of AK's and for what you are paying the product is just fine.

Buy a Romanian AK the WAR-10 or whatever you find and it will be fine... The only ones I have had issue with are the Norinco, who make SKS rifles that were fine...

Happy Shooting!

Best Regards TL “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ---Aristotle Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)
5 years 28 weeks ago, 6:12 AM

Nitris

Nitris's picture

Lieutenant General
TLtactical, Some of the best AK's are the Norinco's. The only thing china did right were their ak's, polytechs are their top ak's. If I were looking for an AK the russian would be first next are the chinese's Norinco and polytechs.

Ron Paul 2012 III

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 578 (1 member and 577 guests)
jf.chandler sr.

Users Active within the last 24 hours
jf.chandler sr., tallguy007, LLE, krunchnik, jusuni, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,867, Comments: 163,276, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity