Forums / Gun Discussion / Conversion Question: Remington 770 30-06, change to.308

3 years 2 weeks ago, 3:02 PM

grant22

grant22's picture

Colonel

I just picked up a private party Rem 770 30-06 with a bipod and decent scope. I'm not really liking the 30-06 (cuz I'm a puss) and saw some .308 barrels on GB.com for $100.

If I were to change the barrel out, would I have to change anything else? Receiver, bolt, magazine, etc?

Thanks all.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/grant22_2000/Guns%20R%20Good/CIM...

Iron Maiden is my religion!
3 years 2 weeks ago, 1:38 PM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
quick fix

There's a quick fix....a couple actually.

1. There is a metal -06 to .08 adapter that fits in the chamber.....mil used to use it to run .308 in older .06 weapons. It's press-fit and removed with an broken case extractor. Advertised in Shotgun News, pretty cheap. It has the potential to affect accuracy, depending on the ammo and chamber dimensions.

2. There's plenty of -06 ammo that has close or identical recoil characteristics to .308. Get on the Speer, Winchester or Federal website and compare velocities...you'll find several .08-06 analog loads. There are also low-recoil loads in -06 from Remington and Federal.

I'd try one of both of these before you invest the time/$$ in a full conversion. I'm familiar with the 700 but much less so with the 770. I'd speak with a knowlegeable gunsmith before you take the cal-conversion jump.

3 years 2 weeks ago, 3:18 PM

grant22

grant22's picture

Colonel

Thanks Tex. I just heard back from Rem and there is no barrel conversion. The 770 is the entry level 700 and the barrel is press fit.

I'll look into your suggestions, but otherwise I'm selling this rifle. Not a fan of the Ott-Six round. Oh well, live and learn.

Thx again!

3 years 2 weeks ago, 3:51 PM

jay sedler

jay sedler's picture

Lieutenant General
grant22

a limbsaver but pad reaaaaly tames the felt recoil.

CRY HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war!
3 years 2 weeks ago, 6:57 AM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
muzzle brake

Forgot to include brakes...if you're shooting outdoors-only (on an indoor range or in close quarters they are NASTY), I'd also recommend a good muzzle brake. There are several good brakes out there, including some that are flatout slim and look great on the gun. Others, like the JP, work hard all day long but are as ugly as a mud fence.

Either type can take the -06 down to 243 levels or lower, generally speaking, and can be had/installed for less than $200.

3 years 2 weeks ago, 8:44 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
muzzle brake

Be forewarned that if you are planning on using the rifle on a guided hunt, some guides will not allow muzzle breaks. A buddy of mine had to use the guide's rifle after a 2 day hump. Something about the the way the break ports the gas and sound and the guides pack animals if I remember correctly.

Check with the guide company before spending the currency.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
3 years 2 weeks ago, 9:27 AM

grant22

grant22's picture

Colonel

Thanks guys, all good info. I sold it to a co worker.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 786 (0 members and 786 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,877, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity