Forums / Gun Discussion / Custom 1911's

5 years 4 weeks ago, 9:31 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
Custom 1911's

I love 1911's; I have for decades. I've seen & handled custom 1911's from various manufacturers through the years, but have shot very few of them. Every gun magazine I pick up now has multiple ads extolling the virtues of this, that, or the other firm's custom 1911's. I won't even attempt to name all the firms. They're probably all OK, but whose is best? I don't know, & have no way of finding out, since I can't possibly afford every model offered by every manufacturer. I would invite anyone & everyone to enter your comments with your thoughts & opinions.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
5 years 4 weeks ago, 10:36 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

They are getting expensive now, but a piece of history, and just flat cool to shoot old iron with a history.. If you can get them cheap enough i still like the series 70. (and you can make some changes on them with out messing with the value). I'm partial to CDR hammers, just cause i like the looks, extended slide release, bowmar sights and your in business. I dont see the price for all the "customs" you talked about, sure thier great guns, but just cant see the price.. Heres a smart move, i had a collection of 4 WWII pieces, got in a jam financialy back in late 80's and sold them to bail out.. thought wow.. ive made like 100 plus per piece, boy did i screw up, it was like shootgun hews was waiting for me to sell to really push the price up. Had i watied even 6 mo. i could have made almost double the profit.. I'm not into guns for making money, but its nice when it happens.

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
5 years 4 weeks ago, 10:57 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

I have shot the Colt,Para,Springfield and STI all make some great pistols

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 4 weeks ago, 11:13 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Never have and would like to.

5 years 4 weeks ago, 12:18 AM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General

Guys, I was talking about the custom houses, like Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Cylinder & Slide - people like that. Thanks.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
5 years 4 weeks ago, 12:37 AM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

write back soon.

Your friend,

LittleDragon

Moshi Moshi from LittleDragon
5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:51 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
ecaman

i know that when Kimber first came out and was offering on their basic pistol a lot of the improvements like the flared and lowered ejection port,polished feed ramp,serrations on the slide,ambi safety,extended beavertail,skeletonized hammer,beveled mag wells,etc.that it really set the "custom"shops back a bit.Kimber was doing all that on a gun that was half the cost of a Colt that had gone thru the Wilson custom stage 3 upgrades.
When i was shooting PPC, i got to shoot some of the other guys weapons and one was a Wilson,which was a great shooter for the amount of rounds i put downrange.
One of the SWAT guys had a Colt that stovepiped a lot on him and we advised him to turn the gun in and have some work done,but he sold it to another guy from the club instead.
Now Kimber prices have caught up to the options they used to include for a lot cheaper,hell back in the early 90s everybody knew that any new 1911 was just a raw starting point to build a failsafe smooth shooter.
I guess i would go with Wilson in.45 or 38 super.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:41 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
lucky

yeah but 2500.00 a pop is a little steep....Kimber is about half that.

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:46 PM

Anonymous

1911's

Not sure on price but a sprinfield 1911 GI .45 maybe affordable. just my 2 cents.

5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:50 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
snake

whats' up?....Don't get me wrong. Ill pay for a fine pistol, but i won't pay for just the name.....Taurus also has a great 1911.....

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:54 PM

Anonymous

Ebear

Not much is up. Gonna have alot of cheek grabbin aunts in for thanksgiving(God help me) and alot of other family. Its scary. anyways im not much on custom guns but I just like the overall look of Springfiels GI 1911's.

5 years 4 weeks ago, 3:58 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
lol

i hope ur talkin bout the cheeks on ur face!!!!but u r from Virginia...lolol

...check... G-AZ
5 years 4 weeks ago, 4:00 PM

Anonymous

actually

I was born in FT.Worth texas but left at five. dont rember much of home there except a a porch with a hole to hell as papaw said lol. but anyways I hope it is the face cheeks to.lol

5 years 4 weeks ago, 4:42 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

i went to the gun show today,prices are still high, ran into a new HK P30L but they wanted 900 for it+ 100 for the flashlight....
I did find a Ruger semi-auto ? 9MM for 425,which i didn't think was bad and i did look at Taurus semi-autos and Beretta 92s as well,i'm not gonna be real quick about getting this next one i guess.How did the Bears do today? The Vikes schooled the seahawks on how to play.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
5 years 4 weeks ago, 4:46 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
lol lucky

Bears play Philly tonight....They always play them tough...Yeah your Vikes are for real....yup, no real bargains at shows right now...wait till after x-mas....then the deals will be out there....im all about accessories right now

...check... G-AZ
5 years 3 weeks ago, 3:54 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

if you're honto into custom built 1911s, then you will most likely enjoy the pictures and the very down to earth writing style of RD Burns who makes custom built 1911s in almost every caliber and he is particularly keen on the 9mm x 23mm system for this frame.
here is the url:
http://www.burnscustom.com/index.html

ryo honto hope you enjoy the pictures there and the very interesting, if some little bit with blinders on view of the 9mm x 23mm frame that he writes about, leaving out either deliberately, as ryo suspect, or just not aware of, because the articles are bit older, which is possible, the new Bul M5 class system.

your friend alway,

LittleDragon

PS mr. burns is obviously highly knowledgeable on this topic as you will see from his writing and pictures, demo ryo honto believe he not being fair to winchester in their important role in the early development of the 9mm x 23mm cartridge. their role is much more solid and important than he suggest. and IWI, which is really the leader of the pack he hardly mentions at all, demo he have number of honto interesting thing to say and so it fair to forgive him his mistakes.

5 years 3 weeks ago, 7:34 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

please keep in mind that facts are facts and opinion is opinion. in ryo opinion Burns san have some good and some bad opinion and some good and some not so good facts. ryo honto think Burns san not give enough due credit to the important contribution that the winchester company have make to the development of the 9mm x 23mm cartridge. he also give almost no credit to the single most important player in the development of this round and weapons to fire it to IWI, again in ryo opinion neh. however ryo do have facts to support own position on this and some better than what Burns san offer for his in this matter. however, ryo honto must give Burns san due credit for developing decent timeline in the history of the development of this cartridge. ryo stand behind what say, just like Burns san stand behind what he have to say too.

your friend alway,

LittleDragon

5 years 3 weeks ago, 1:40 AM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

find interesting concerning the development of the 9mm x 23mm parabellum ultra magnum cartridge for the 1911 frame. ryo would like for you to read these two comments and hear what you have to say, since you have shown interest in this round as well as the weapons that are design to fire it.

Your friend alway,

LittleDragon

5 years 3 weeks ago, 8:47 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Best stock 1911

Kimbers have everything needed to try and mitigate the flaws in the 1911 and make it as good as that gun can get while keeping the price accessible to normal people. Sure, SA Custom shop, Wilson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, they have well-tuned guns, but at 2 or 3 times the cost of a Kimber, with only a slight improvement in accuracy and reliability, it's hard to justify them unless you've got the income tax refund in the bank.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 2 weeks ago, 3:54 PM

hangman

hangman's picture

Sergeant Major of the Army

I have to stick my nose in here, just for fun. I purchased my first 1911 June of 2008 at a gun show here in NC. It is a Colt Government Model 80 in blue finish with the 5" barrel and it was my first 1911 (and my first .45 cal). My buddy bought one from the same dealer at the same time and we each paid $731 including tax. We were so excited about them that we drove straight to the range and my first shot was a direct 1/2 inch bullseye at 25 yards (a feat I have not been able to duplicate). I commonly shoot at 10 yards and can keep pretty consistent 3" groups. If I shot more often I know I could get that a lot better. In August of 2008 I decided to purchase a new Kimber II Match Grade 1911 off of Gunbroker dot com because I somehow thought I would shoot it better. I don't, but it only cost $659 + $35 shipping. I put custom grips on both of them from Esmeralda and I really like the way they shoot.They feel good in my hand and I have carried each one at times in a small-of-the-back holster. If I was a competitive shooter I would no doubt be shooting special loads and perhaps have a custom 1911 that provided more accuracy, but I do not believe that it would make a damn bit of difference for me now. By the way, my buddy just sold the Colt 1911 he bought with me and had a hard time selling it. It looked absolutely brand new and he only got $625 for it. He replaced it with a Sig P220 Elite because he wanted a .45 cal he could carry.

5 years 2 weeks ago, 4:20 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

There's just something about the angle of the grip, that 5'bbl (better for old eyes) and that 39 ounce wt. that's perfect.. I have never owned any of the customs, but owned a lot of WWII 1911's back when they were affordable. I modified some, left those that i knew were going to bring money stock. Keep your Colt my friend, and if you havent tried long range shooting yet, please do.. One of the fun things in life is to get back a couple hundred yards and "lob'm in" It actually is a semi percise science, sit down, brace yourself against a tire, use the rear sight to line up on top of the slide, put the top front of slide on P.O.A., obviously your elevated quite a bit, but you can still hit a 55 gal drum, and telling you that 230gr bullet will let you know where it hits.. Lot of fun..and you will be amazed at how accurate a pistol can be. I'm pretty much all revolvers now, as i got into old iron and they are much more affordable to collect, but thinking im gona have to get myself a new Springfield mil spec for Christmas.

5 years 2 weeks ago, 4:26 PM

Gregory

Gregory's picture

Major
Colt or Springfield

I have used both companys 1911's and I have to lean to the Springfield, what say you all?

5 years 2 weeks ago, 4:40 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Would love to have another Colt, but for the diffrence in price im going to go with the Springfield.

5 years 2 weeks ago, 5:03 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General

Gregory, I like Colts. I have a few of them and just love the simple lines and the way they feel. However, I have inspected a few Springfields and the ones I have held were very very well built. They were much tighter slide to frame fit than a stock Colt. I would already own a Springer if it wasn't for one thing, that blasted made in Brazil stamp on it. Maybe it's just gun snobbish of me, but if I'm getting a 1911 I want it to be made somewhere in the US. It's really kind of ridiculous of me since I have other guns made in Germany, Croatia and Austria and I love them. But a 1911, I just want it made in the US. That being said, some models of the Springfield 1911 are still assembled in the US, but they are hard to find and I've seen none around here. When I find one I will probably buy it, even though the parts are still made in Brazil probably. And there is nothing wrong with that, from what I've seen, they do an excellent job.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 831 (2 members and 829 guests)
captmax, daisycutter

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,688, Comments: 161,596, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity