Forums / Political & Legal / DECEMBER 7TH, 2009, IS THE 68TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR

4 years 50 weeks ago, 11:59 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Most of our members were either not yet born, or perhaps in their infancy.
But I am old enough to remember that day--a day that "will be remembered in infamy"--as FDR called it.

......a nine year old boy, comes home,after going to a Sunday double feature of Cowboy movies, cartoons, short subjects and popcorn. He gets off the bus and walks home. He finds his whole family huddled in front of the big Philco radio. His grandmother, mother and aunts are crying. His grandfather, father and uncles are gritting their teeth and cursing softly, as they all, like 180 million other US Americans, realize
the post-depression, isolationist days are over. They all are in the big fight now, and they need to talk about how this is going to effect the family, the family business, and our ability to keep everything going. The younger uncle says, I am going down tomorrow and enlist in the Navy----the grandmother literally faints away, and they rush to revive her. The older uncle says let's not be too hasty---we have to do some planning--the draft will come for us soon enough. The younger uncle says--BULL SHIT-- I am going. Those bastards are not going to get away with this, if I have anything to do with it. The nine year old's father says, I'm going too, if they will have me. The nine year old's mother screams, and almost faints, and they rush to help her.
Sunday afternoon dinner is cancelled by a family crisis discussion, which excludes the nine year old, who watches and listens to this, as he would watch a complicated movie. It finally dawns on him that this is real--this is serious--and one way or the other--they all are in this fight, and members of his family might get hurt or die. He fanticizes that when he gets old enough and big enough to lie his age, he's going too.........

Flash forward forty years. He's at the USS Arizona memorial, Pearl Harbor. He never made it to WW II service, but he knows he owes a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. He reads every name of those 1177 who were KIA, and then, with the permission of the National Park Service officer, he presses his bugle to his lips, and sounds Taps.... and as those 24 sacred notes echo across the water, the people in his vistors' party shed many unashamed tears. Some of those tears fall into the still, oil-slicked water, as if to assure those who sleep below, that they will never be forgotten.........

Yes, my friends---that nine year old was me, and that family was mine. My father did enlist--in the Marines, and was a Phys Ed instructor at Parris Island, until they drummed him out of the Corps as being too old. My older uncle served in the Coast/AAA Artillery, and my younger uncle was awarded every decoration for bravery in combat, the Navy/Marines could give, except the Medal of Honor.

There are those who have inflicted, and will continue to try to inflict, other Pearl Harbors against us. Let us never forget. Let us always be vigilant. I fear the worst Pearl Harbor may come from the most treacherous enemies we have---those who would, from within, subvert all that the United States of America has stood for.

Never forget the lessons learned. Be vigilant, and keep your powder dry.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
4 years 50 weeks ago, 12:07 PM

zx12rmike

zx12rmike's picture

President Pro Temp
Never forget!

Never forget!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home" Thomas Jefferson
4 years 50 weeks ago, 12:17 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
Great story

LLE thanks for sharing.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 50 weeks ago, 12:41 PM

photobear6

photobear6's picture

Lieutenant General
Great story

I just wish more people would rember what this country has withstood and stands for.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
4 years 50 weeks ago, 12:47 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

in the hearts and minds of their sons and daughters who will never forget their sacrifice to stay free and give us, their children a better life...it is up to us to protect that legacy..and not permit a small faction of people give it all away...

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
4 years 50 weeks ago, 12:52 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

What a great story, shed some unashamed tears myself with that one. Theres something special about "taps".. I salute you for making the trip, reading the names, and playing the 24 notes. Well done buddy. Do any of you remember when the bugler playing Taps at Kennedys funeral in Arlington lost it and missed a note.. Somehow made it even more special.

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
4 years 50 weeks ago, 3:13 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Yes--I remember the cracked note, because I heard it in "real time", on the TV. The bugler was Army Chief bugler of the US Army Band, Sgt. Keith Clark. Clark said he did not "lose it". It was the pressure of the moment and the extreme cold that combined to produce the cracked note.
On the other hand, I have sounded Taps for many hundreds of Military Funeral Honors ceremonies, and have cracked some notes also. I am not ashamed to admit that in my case, it was never extreme cold or pressure--
I "lost it" often.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
4 years 50 weeks ago, 1:02 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Good job LLE

Thank you! You were there weren't you? LOL
Sorry couldn't resist.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 6:14 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Sometimes I feel old enough to have been there--But happily, most of the time I feel a lot younger. It is ironic that I was too young for WW II, and I am too old for WW III.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 8:56 AM

Anonymous

LLE

too old for WW III.this is not the first time nor the last I am sure to hear someone from your generation state this.I in fact am hearing it more and more commonly during these troubled times.to a point it may be true but lest we forget that our older generations have a knowledge of life and times prior to computers and the information age.knowledge that could be very valuable to the safety and survival of a family or group were things to take a tough turn.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 9:01 AM

Anonymous

a different side i have never heard before.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 6:27 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

When I talk with people about what they were doing when the first news of the attack came to them, many of them describe similar family dynamics to my story. I cannot prove it, but my guess is that kind of thing went on in homes all across the USA. I remember going to the movies, not too much later, and they showed pictures of huge long lines of men at the military recruiting stations. Hundreds of thousands of young guys were enlisting, rather than wait for the draft. That Japanese Admiral was right--those dumbasses succeeded in awakening a terrible, angry giant.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 9:27 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Least i think that was cali mike that posted that for you, thinking your not gona have a lot of issues with bill payments. Makes me wana send money and i don't owe ya any. I am thinking about having some work done on a couple of the old Victorys. Sure you work on 10's, is there a big deal with postal service on this, ive never done it?

4 years 50 weeks ago, 6:39 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Never too old for war

I went to a Veterans' Home in Quincy, IL and while driving around, thought about those old, seemingly decrepit men sitting on the benches and shuffling along. I am willing to bet should this country truly require their services, a large majority of those men would pick up a rifle and hold their ground till overwhelmed.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
4 years 50 weeks ago, 7:53 PM

photobear6

photobear6's picture

Lieutenant General
Actually runaway

runawaygun762 wrote:
I went to a Veterans' Home in Quincy, IL and while driving around, thought about those old, seemingly decrepit men sitting on the benches and shuffling along. I am willing to bet should this country truly require their services, a large majority of those men would pick up a rifle and hold their ground till overwhelmed.

They were soldiers and would probably prefer to go out this way.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
4 years 50 weeks ago, 7:53 PM

zx12rmike

zx12rmike's picture

President Pro Temp

I'm absolutely sure of it, they would be proud!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home" Thomas Jefferson
4 years 50 weeks ago, 8:03 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

They run out of ammo, if they're too frail to swing a rifle, probably lie down as speedbumps and try to flatten tires as they get rolled over. I still get misty thinking about guys with WW2, Korea, Vietnam veteran hats shaking my hand, thanking me, as I got off the plane from one of my deployments. I've done, seen, and smelled things that'll stay with me forever, but nothing compared to those guys. Fuck it, Obama's already sullied the position of his office and showed how afraid he is of a handshake and eye contact, maybe he should go on a nationwide bowing tour to all the Veterans' Homes. At least they deserve it.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
4 years 50 weeks ago, 8:10 PM

photobear6

photobear6's picture

Lieutenant General
sorry runaway

but he doesn't have anything to appologise to them for so he'll never go for it. Always remember that he feels that they are the reason he needs to kiss the worlds ass is because of the "Bad Americans" that we are. This is a guy that won't visit a army hospital without a press group with him.

4 years 44 weeks ago, 10:30 AM

CharlesW

CharlesW's picture

General
Live in the wilderness, Republic of Texas, United States
runaway

They don't want his sorry ass there
They would probably block the door
and not let him in

A little rebellion is good medicine for the government Thomas Jefferson
4 years 50 weeks ago, 8:33 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Correct, photobear.

And I count myself as part of another generation of those Bad Americans. I would love to have a "beer summit" with this guy. I don't know how it would be. On the one hand, every part of me would be screaming to let him have it and let secret service drag me off of him, but on the other hand, I'm a professional soldier and have been for all but ten days of my adult life. Tough call, tough call. But luckily, I'll never have to make that decision. Can't see him wanting to sit down with a muiltiple-tour Iraq vet who actually wants to do a few in Afghanistan.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 1:24 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

I meant that no military branch would take me. But that does not mean I would not fight, especially if this country were invaded. We have about 17 million veterans with an average age of 59 or 60. At least half of them are in decent physical condition, armed and dangerous, and can organize and fight effectively enough to make the lives of even the most well-equipped invaders miserable.
It would make the movie "Red Dawn" look like child's play.

But even if their support was needed out of the country, they would be ready to go.

4 years 44 weeks ago, 10:36 AM

CharlesW

CharlesW's picture

General
Live in the wilderness, Republic of Texas, United States
LLE

My friend my family was in WW11 also.
We may now be too old for the front
lines but I know we could teach and
pass on our knowledge to our sons
and daughters
I remember everyday I served even
getting off the bus at Ft Polk,La. It
was pouring rain
Don't tell me we couldn't be range
masters and teach them to shoot

A little rebellion is good medicine for the government Thomas Jefferson
4 years 50 weeks ago, 2:39 PM

Schuyler

Schuyler's picture

General
Bainbridge Island, Washington, United States

There's a gun behind every blade of grass."
--Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the man responsible for Pearl Harbor. he studied at the US Naval War College and at Harvard University.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
4 years 50 weeks ago, 4:44 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

politico-militarists, before 12/7/41. They thought invasion was possible, after the Pacific was theirs and the US Pacific fleet was destroyed. But I doubt they would have tried it.

Poor Yamamoto got his ass flamed by a P-38 on the anniversary of the Doolittle raid. Even that did not give the Japanese cabal pause to consider whether they really could have achieved fighting us to a standstill.
I think the continental US can be successfully invaded, albeit by stealth rather than by conventional force. In fact, I believe we are being invaded NOW, by sureptitious Islamo-extremist cells, and by groups of illegal aliens now run by by Islamo-extremists, waiting for the day that they can gain strength, and begin a quarter century take over attempt.
I know I sound like a raving lunatic paranoid--but consider, if you will--
maybe I am not those things. Scary, isn't it?

4 years 50 weeks ago, 5:22 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
LLE

I don't think you're paranoid. I think you're right to be concerned. The Islamic terrorist cells are known to be all over Europe. I find it impossible to believe that they're not here in the US also.
Another concern I have is with the very large number of Hispanics who have bought into the idea that the western US should be theirs by right. Some of these people are very militant. I've heard nothing about how well they're organized (or indeed if), and what they might be planning.
By saying the above, I don't want to denigrate the overwhelming majority of Muslims and Hispanics who are in this country to work and better themselves so that they may provide a better future for themselves and their descendants. They work hard every day to be good Americans and I'm glad they're here.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 50 weeks ago, 7:10 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

I don't think the overwhelming majority of muslims here are good citizens. I think a small majority, maybe. As for an invasion, LLE, I think you're right. Our enemies can take their time, build their resources, strike when and where they want. Our enemies take advantage of our nation's open arms and open society. They mistake our kindness for weakness, but I'm afraid that, at least as far as the government goes, it has become a weakness. When you look at the sheer numbers of illegals who get across our borders every week, so many of whom are normal people with no special training in infiltration tactics, who can't afford to be smuggled using the more secure routes, then the potential for well trained, well-financed islamic terrorists getting here becomes truly disturbing.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 5:22 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

vis-a-vis the "overwhelming majority" of Moslems. By that, I mean I believe there is something real about "enlightened paranoia".

......psychotherapy is recommended for a patient diagnosed as
paranoid, and when he goes to his second session, he appears
at the office in bandages, with cuts and bruises, and a
cast on one leg. The psychiatrist asks him what happened,
and he says, "I was beginning to believe I truly was
paranoid, but I discovered those sonofabitches are really
out to get me!!"

We do not hear much from the U.S. Moslem community rejecting the worldwide
jihad of the Islamo-extremists. Perhaps most of us in the same position would be silent also, since our families and ourselves would be under a death threat if we spoke out. But I believe THAT to be a cover story. One of the principles of sanctioned behavior is the "taquia"--that is, approval to lie to the infidels to gain a needed advantage. [You can read my postings 26 weeks ago to get a further idea of how this principle was developed: "What Israel knows that most of the non-Islamic world does not"]. If a follower of the religion is a true believer, and use of taquia is sanctioned, and that follower secretly believes in the extremists' worldwide jihad............well, you get the idea, don't you??
I have to agree with runawaygun. We are conspiring against ourselves with our lax border security---playing right into the hands of the Islamo-extremists/terrorists. They are very well financed, and can easily make alliances with the Latino infiltrators. "Easily" is translated to one word:
DINERO. It does appear, however, that even the Islamo-extremist cells are having trouble belling the Latino cats, who are blowing cover by becoming very outspoken and verbally macho about taking over the southern border states in a few years.
I believe any US citizen that fails to take this situation seriously, is literally conspiring with the enemy, and I doubt that the Homeland Security folks have dealt, or will deal with this situation effectively.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 6:15 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
your right

muslems,i don't trust them as far as i could throw them,dos that make me a rascist? i consider it being a realist.There is no other religion i can think of that raises the hair on my neck like those people.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 49 weeks ago, 2:47 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

and I believe they would be incorrect, since there are many races who have adopted Islam as their religion. I think the PC folks would call it "religious prejudice". Whether they are correct or not is a function of the reasoning applied to your, or my, thinking.
I remember, in the not so recent past, receiving an email that illustrates this point reasonably well. I cannot seem to find it, but I think I can paraphrase it well enough:

Who shot and killed Bobby Kennedy in 1968?
Who murdered the Israeli Athletes at the 1972 Olympics?
Who invaded the U.S. Embassy in Iran[soverign U.S. Territory], and
captured and held U.S. citizens for over 400 days in 1979?
Who kidnapped and held U.S. citizens in Lebanon in 1980?
Who blew up the US Military barracks in Beirut, murdering hundreds of
our young Marines, in 1983?
Who hilacked the Italian cruise ship "Achille Lauro", and murdered
a wheelchair bound U.S. citizen by throwing him overboard in 1985?
Who hijacked TWA Flight 847 at Athens, and murdered a U.S. Navy enlisted
man trying to subdue the hijackers, in 1985?
Who bombed Pan Am Flight 103, killing all on board and many Scottish
citizens on the ground, in 1988?
Who bombed the NYC World Trade Center in 1993?
Who bombed the U.S.Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998?
Who attacked the USS Cole, killing 17 crew and causing serious damage in
2000?
Who hijacked four airliners on 9/11/01, and used two as missiles to take
down the World trade Center Towers, one as a missile to attempt to
destroy the Pentagon, and one as a missile to attempt to destroy the
White House, killing thousands of people in the process?
Who are the people that organized worldwide jihad against the free world?
Who are the people who kidnapped U.S. newsman Danny Pearl, beheaded him,
and sent us the video pictures?
Who recently {many times] threatened Israel with being wiped off the
face of the map?
And on and on and on........................
Do you see a pattern emerging here!? YES: Islamo-extremist males. Can anyone understand why we think that some special profiling might be necessary in our country, considering history like:
the lessons of Huddaibya, the principle of Taquia, the stonewalling of Araffat, the continued rocket attacks on Israel, the nuclear threat from Iran, and the espoused purpose of worldwide jihad, as reflected in 9/11?

OK--if you PC people want to label me a religious bigot, that is your privilege, but I tell you this--Like the "paranoid" patient I described above-- I think these folks are really out to get us ANY WAY THEY CAN.

4 years 50 weeks ago, 9:49 AM

Builtf0rdtough

Builtf0rdtough's picture

Lieutenant General
I agree LLE

If we are not vigilant we will end up fighting to keep our homeland safe. They have always said they hated America and all Americans. they are the ones who train their children from age 5 and up to hate Americans and teach them to shoot and also to commit suicide in the name of killing Americans. why on earth would someone stick up for these in-human camel jockeys? Honestly If you feel that their rights are more important than ours or the saftey of the American people than you need to be shot or deported to which ever country you feel is better. If we dont profile nobody would be caught. Profiling is neccesary for sure, and it cannot be stoped because its human nature, if you or someone you know has been done wrong many times by a certain type or race of person than you will always until you die be aware and weary of those type of people. For some reason nowadays they care way to much about everyone else but America. Everyone wants to jump through hoops to please other countries. Fuck obama, telling everyone else that we are selfish and horrible people. he can go back to the middle east and be muslim. If America was not a mainly Christian nation they would fit in, but we are a Christian nation whether the liberals want to admit it or not. I dont think we should censor ourselfs just to please them. not at all. tolerance is BS to the extent they are pushing it. thats how I feel. I kinda went everywhere with this rant and my thoughts are not well put together but I will fight for my freedom and my rights and I will not censor myself to please some dam arab or anydam one else. American by birth and I would have it no other way, they want to come here, fine, do it properly and obide by our ways and learn english.

"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy"-Winston Churchill
4 years 49 weeks ago, 1:00 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

Will have a difficult time accepting money in exchange for smuggling islamic terrorists if they know that's what is going on, because they know if it ever gets out that a terrorist attack could have been prevented by better border security down here, life will ge more difficult for them. Americans really don't care about this war on drugs crap, but let the people find out a raghead carrying a dirty bomb made in Venezuela and smuggled through Mexico into San Diego made it past our Border patrol and I may actually get my wish of a free-fire zone 7 miles south of me. I VOLUNTEER!!! I GOTS MY OWN AMMO AND I'M USED TO SHOOTING AT BROWN PEOPLE

4 years 49 weeks ago, 4:27 PM

Builtf0rdtough

Builtf0rdtough's picture

Lieutenant General
the war on drugs is BS

its all complete bs. its all anti-gunners that start all this dam war on drugs propaganda.

"Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy"-Winston Churchill
4 years 44 weeks ago, 9:22 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

I invite all of you who have not read the origianal post by LLE to scrole up and read a special story.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 869 (1 member and 868 guests)
captmax

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,675, Comments: 161,414, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity