5 years 22 weeks ago, 1:23 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Firearms Legislation In The 111th Congress

Gun Owners of America analysis of current House Bills:
H.R. 17, H.R. 45, H.R. 197, H.R. 442 & H.R. 495

H.R. 17 (Bartlett): This bill would reaffirm the right to use firearms for self-defense and for defense of one’s home and family.

H.R. 45 (Rush): This bill would require a license for handguns and semiautomatics, including those currently possessed. The applicant must be thumbprinted and sign a certification that, effectively, the firearm will not be kept in a place where it would be available for the defense of the gun owner’s family. The applicant must also make available ALL of his psychiatric records, pass an exam, and pay a fee of up to $25. The license may be renewed after five years and may be revoked. Private sales would be outlawed, and reports to the attorney general of all transactions would be required, even when, as the bill allows, the AG determines that a state licensing system is sufficiently draconian to substitute for the federal license. With virtually no exceptions, ALL firearms transactions (involving semiautos, handguns, long guns, etc.) would be subject to a Brady check. In addition, the bill would make it unlawful in nearly all cases to keep any loaded firearm for self-defense. A variety of “crimes by omission” (such as failure to report certain things) would be created. Criminal penalties of up to ten years and almost unlimited regulatory and inspection authority would be established.

H.R. 197 (Stearns): This bill would establish national standards for concealed carry reciprocity, but would not protect residents of pro-gun states like Vermont and Alaska which do not require paper permits.

H.R. 442 (Rehberg): This bill would provide amnesty for a veteran who acquired a “souvenir” (such as a machine gun) while serving overseas, so long as it is registered during a 90-day grace period.

H.R. 495 (Rodriguez, Teague, Engel, Reyes): This bill would authorize $15,000,000 for two years to the BATFE for the purpose of enhancing its project to thwart the transportation of firearms across the Mexican border.

5 years 22 weeks ago, 4:27 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
H.R. 45

samD,
correct me if I am wrong, but there is no co-sponsor for this bill. With out a co-sponsor, the bill will not make it out of committee, if I remember the rles correctly...

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
5 years 22 weeks ago, 6:24 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Clint re: co-sponsors

They make up their own rules as they go along. You forget they work for the lobbyists and big donors!

5 years 22 weeks ago, 6:04 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
Good work SamD

keeping us posted. Hope HR 17 gets passed but isnt it common sense?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 22 weeks ago, 6:20 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

they have no common sense is the problem with them.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 22 weeks ago, 9:24 PM

birdebyrd

birdebyrd's picture

Brigadier General

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCpqyZ4Xu0

Rush served 5 months for illegal weapons charges

Feedin' the till, for the "Stimulus" Bill (since 1974)
5 years 22 weeks ago, 10:52 PM

undeniable

undeniable's picture

Major General

Anyway, isn't this the guy who was one of the original members of the black panthers? I can't keep all my Washington based criminals straight in my head anymore.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kevin Spacey: (The Usual Suspects)
5 years 22 weeks ago, 2:26 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
It's amazing to me

how these people get elected. Do people really believe they are being represented? I wonder, what if, instead of helping get borderline friendly career politicians elected and reelected, what if people started running for office? I am going to run when I retire from the army. Screw it, why should people like Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh be the only ones who get to be the butts of electoral jokes by running all the time?

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1205 (0 members and 1205 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,921, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity