Forums / Gun Discussion / First 1911, but which one?? 1911 Experts, I need help!

3 years 47 weeks ago, 6:02 PM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel

Hey everyone, I need some help. I have never really been into 1911s however, recently they are starting to catch my eye. Mainly because of the Aniversary of 100yrs, but also just because they are an american classic and they just feel natural when you point them. Anyways, Im an H&K guy obviously and Sigs are my second favorite type of guns. I prefer quality and am willing to spend some money. I dont skimp on my gun buying. That being said, I realize the best would be like an Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat, but Im not sure if I want to spend 2-3000 on one. I am mainly looking for quality in reliability, and accuracy, and I like the Idea of Colt as they are a classic and hold their value extremely well. However, I am also into the more modern designs that kimber has like the raptor, etc, but dont like what I have hear abouit the MIM parts and some things about customer service in their department. I have also been looking at springfield armory's loaded in ss. I am not really sure which way to go. Like I said im not normally a 1911 guy so I never really got into them therefore idk if things like MIM parts in them actually matter, I mean an H&K is basically like a big MIM gun and it works great so idk. I am leaning towards the idea of a colt government model, I like the fullsize, and mainly just the fact that it is a colt. That being said, I know Colt holds their value as a collector gun, but how does it actually hold its name in the reliability department? Reliability is probably my main concern, as I DO shoot my guns. I dont own safe queens. It is not intended to be a safe queen by any means. Even though I love and mostly carry my HKs I would like to be able to trust my life to it every now in then when I feel like sporting the 1911. So, all this being said, I basically am asking the 1911 afacionados to chime in and give me their honest opinions. Keep Reliability, Accuracy, and Overall value in mind. Sorry for the long post. Also, if you bought on or the other, what would you change on it if anything, and how expensive and simple/hard would it be to do. Thanks Guys!

~Sig Sauer 516 Patrol 5.56 NATO~HK45 .45 ACP~HK45c .45 ACP~HK P30L 9mm~HK P30 .40 S&W~W. German Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP~Walther P22~
3 years 47 weeks ago, 7:08 PM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
PS

PS I am not really interested in Para Ordinance or Taurus PT1911. I will never buy a taurus, I have just heard too many bad things about them from people that come into the shop, and we have had a lot of customers bring them in to get sent back to factory. Not because they arent good, I just dont want a double stack and I would just rather have a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber. I want the perfect 1911 fullsized, and am willing to spend around 1k + or - about 200

~Sig Sauer 516 Patrol 5.56 NATO~HK45 .45 ACP~HK45c .45 ACP~HK P30L 9mm~HK P30 .40 S&W~W. German Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP~Walther P22~
3 years 46 weeks ago, 2:18 PM

Raz

Raz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Which 1911

I'll tell you truthfully, it really depends on your preference. The Colt comes in several different models for example 1991 series, the 70 series, the Gold Cup, Special combat ect...Kimber does too with models like Custom II, Crimson Carry, Covert ect...As does the Springfield with the GI, Mil Spec, Loaded GI ect...As a general rule, the Springfields and Colts tend to have what I call a "snappier" trigger in that they do not have as much slack or creep as the Kimber. that is a matter preference. I personally prefer less slack to stage the trigger. The Colts, depending on the model, are anywhere from 850 to 1200. I would guess that the most of the Kimber models run in the same area. The Springfields run from 500 to 1000 more or less. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you get...

The Armory Guild
3 years 47 weeks ago, 8:57 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Springfield TRP

Springfield TRP

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 47 weeks ago, 9:33 PM

OneFellSwoop

OneFellSwoop's picture

First Lieutenant
Carmel Valley / West Yellowstone, California / Montana, United States
Kimber

Definitely. I've got a Desert and fire +P all the time. I love that gun.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 11:19 AM

howard

howard's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
howard

I have two Kimbers and LOVE them. They are quite accurate and stand the wear and tear of shooting.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 4:16 PM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
1911s

The 1911 in my experience is one of the finickiest, most expensive, and labor-intensive pistol designs out there. I'm a Colt Armorer, and have owned a lot of 1911s (Kimber (2), Colt (4), Springfield Armory (3), Auto-Ordinance (1), and a godawful parts gun/build.....variously in 9mm, 10mm and .45acp). I've shot and repaired dozens more, esp. when my dept. authorized the 1911 for duty use.

The 1911-pattern pistol was designed to be made of steel and fitted by skilled craftsmen. The further one gets away from the original design (engineers DO sometimes know what they're doing, really!), the more problems I see. The 5" 1911A1 military guns are a thing of beauty, but are simply not efficient when compared to modern sidearms. If you want lower capacity, extra cost, extra weight, more parts that need to be tuned or replaced regulary, make sure you're getting something useful in return. People talk about 'feel'......if you are skilled and trained you can master any reputable handgun, even if it doesn't feel or fit perfectly. Accuracy....if you're looking for max target accuracy, then the 1911 is a great platform if you have the dough, time and patience.

The single 1911 that I have seen run 100% out of the box was a stainless Springfield TRP .45. I tried 8 different weight/pressure/ogive combos, different mags, didn't lube or clean it, and by God it sang and danced and didn't choke once. Every other 1911 I owned required parts replacement or gunsmithing to go bang every time.

I'd go with a Colt or Springfield, TRP price/grade or above. I have yet to see a commercial 1911-pattern pistol under $1000 that ran properly. If you want to spend $1500 or above, then I'd look seriously into a custom build to your specs on a good base gun. I taken used Colt Deltas in the $500-800 range and with $300-500 in parts/smithing got a gun than looked, felt, and ran the way I wanted it to.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 4:25 PM

TexasToasterize

TexasToasterize's picture

Private First Class
Rock Island

Go with a Rock Island GI. It is a great entry level pistol. I got one and I'm at 1000+ rounds, now. It's reliable and is accurate. And you don't have to worry about beating it up. Go do it. It will be the best investment that you can get for under $400.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 5:45 PM

KT0R18

KT0R18's picture

Sergeant First Class

If you dont want to spend a lot of money but you still want a very good 1911, I would have to recomend the *Kimber Custom ll* it is about 828.00 on their website, but if you want night sights, that will then cost you 956.00. But that is their website and they are new. Though if you dont really know that much about 1911's, Kimber's can be challenging to field-strip.
I do really like the Wilson Combat, I have shot it and I must say it is very nice, but it also is very expensive (depending on where you get it and the shape it's in of course). Hope this helps!

3 years 46 weeks ago, 6:26 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

Of course Wilson’s, Les Baer’s and Nighthawk’s are nice, but are they really worth it? If I didn't have to consider price at all, maybe... but for good everyday reliable 1911's that will come with all the options you'll want, you named the manufactures I'd look at. Springfield, Colt and Kimber. All have good models with all types of options and prices.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 46 weeks ago, 3:25 AM

dynadog44

dynadog44's picture

Colonel
Kimber

Hey HecklerKoch45, this is a great thread and I'm glad you kicked it off. I don't think you could go wrong with the manufacturers you are choosing from. That being Colt Springfield Armory or Kimber. That said, I have a Kimber TLE RL Custom II and I really enjoy it. I will say that I've known people to pick up Raptors and get rid of them because the aesthetics of the gun didn't appeal to them as much as it did when they first bought them. I've fired one and I was not a fan of the slide serrations on the Raptor. My TLE on the other hand... bad ass. Please let us know what route you end up going!

3 years 46 weeks ago, 9:52 PM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
Colt Government Model

I ended up goin with the Colt Government Model everybody! I just loved the way it looked and felt and how smooth the action of the slide was. Got it brand new for 844.99 after tax from the shop I work at. The owner gave me a pretty decent deal. It is brad new, looks great feels great. Now for magazines that will fit it. He threw a Chip McCormick in with it for me for a small cost of 18 dollars. But idk if im likin it too much. I mean it just resembles the colt magazines Im not really seeing a difference in the follower. Anyways if anyone has any idea which magazines work best and would fit my colt a link to a place where I can buy one would be good. All we have is mccormicks at the shop. Ill post a picture in the pics section. One of my colt and one of my colt with my HKs

3 years 46 weeks ago, 10:16 PM

BluedSteelCharisma

BluedSteelCharisma's picture

Colonel
Frontlines, North Carolina, United States
woops

nevermind haha

The evils of tyranny are rarely seen, but by he who resists it.
3 years 46 weeks ago, 2:27 PM

Raz

Raz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Hey Bro Great pick in the 1911 decision. Mec-Gar makes fantastic magazines. ACT-Mag also makes great magazines for 1911. Combat Wilson mags are really good too but remember you'll pay a bit for that Combat Wilson Name. I stay with Mec-Gar or ACT-Mag they both are great...

The Armory Guild
3 years 43 weeks ago, 3:30 PM

CWYale

CWYale's picture

Major
Barnardsville, North Carolina, United States
Colt Mags

Nice choice! I love the gov't model, and of course Colt makes a quality pistol.
As for mags, I would strongly recommend the Colt product. While most others will probably work, the Colts are guaranteed to. Plus, you know the quality will be high.
try MidwayUSA or CheaperThanDirt. You can get a 7-shot Colt factory mag for around 20.
Enjoy your new Colt!

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding citizen deprived of the use of them."
3 years 46 weeks ago, 6:56 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Forget the 1911.

Get a Glock. What? Somebody had to say it.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
3 years 46 weeks ago, 9:15 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel

Ive been there done that with the glocks. Glocks are fine weapons and very reliable but i think they are pretty plain. They dont have all the nice features that HKs have. Im sorry, but Im not really a glock fan anymore. Glocks grip also sucks big ones.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 9:45 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
Is this Normal?

Anyone know if this is how I am supposed to do this? I have a series 80 Colt government model as described above, and I watched some videos on how to break them down on youtube but non of them were the series 80 government model. Now, what I have learned about disassembling 1911 is that you push down on the bushing, turn it left take the recoil spring out, turn the bushing right and lift it out, then line up the spot on the slide with slide catch and pop that out, then slide the slide off the frame. My experience was a little different, I had to push the bushing in turn it to the left and then the recoil spring would not come all the way out, so i left as is, popped the slide catch out, slid the slide off the frame, removed the recoil assembly from the other way, pulled the bushing out, and then the barrel. I noticed the recoil spring was really tight around the guide rod and that is why it wouldnt come out from the front. I mean it is tight to the point to wear if i wh=ould have really tried to pull it from the front it would have stretched out the spring. I can take it off the guide rod, but it is tight and scratches the guide rod when I do it. The manual says to have the closed end of the spring against the guide rod and that is how it is. Then for reassembly, I put the barrel in, put the bushing in and turned to left, put recoil assembly in, put slide on frame, put slide pin in, and then put the cover piece on the recoil spring and pushed it down and turned the bushing back to normal. Is this right? Im not a 1911 expert so idk,. Any help would be great thanks

3 years 46 weeks ago, 11:19 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

I think there is a hole you can stick a Paper clip into through the guide rod to keep the recoil spring compressed so you have free movement for disassembly and assembly?

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 46 weeks ago, 8:01 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
not sure

Im not sure, but maybe there is... Like I said I am completely new to 1911 so i have no idea. I really am not sure exactly what you are talking about. I know there is a small hole in the plunger tube, and a hole that goes completely through the guide rod. Im not sure I understand what you are saying to do. Explain to me a little better please, you may be helping me. thanks.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 7:36 PM

KS101010

KS101010's picture

Colonel

My brother just bought a really nice Springfield prior to Christmas. He loves it. Unfortunately, I recently broke my hand so I didnt get to fire it while I was there. I look forward to running it through its paces next time. Seems to be a really nice piece.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 10:22 AM

paint2ride

paint2ride's picture

Major
a new 1911

I just bought a Kimber Eclipse ultra II. I was very supprised how well a 3" gun shot. I think the key to buying a 1911 is finding one that looks nice, fits in your hand well and is match grade. You get what you pay for. I agree with ishootdaily, the springfield trp is an awsome gun. Remember lower end springfields are not match grade.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 1:32 PM

HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50's picture

Captain
Springfield SS Loaded

I spent 650 on my stock, LOADED Springfield, carried it for 5 years. All Seasons, sweaty, never failed. It was my first pistol that I owned. A few things though, mine only fed ball(FMJ) consistently. All Hollow Points jammed at the feed ramp. Ok, Ball Ammo it is. To feed the Hollow's, I would have to have the ramp ground to re-throat the chamber entrance. I always spend as much as I can afford on any new firearm, but I am still a blue coller guy. $750 would have been my price limit.
If this will be a carry gun, buy a cheaper one first. to see how well it feels after a 10hr. shift. I now carry a Walther PK380, at less than half the weight. a FULL- SIZE, 1911A1 isn't lite.
Also I recommend you try Fiocchi ammo. In both my weapons, the Fiocchi fed perfectly. And is very accurate. Now that Hornady came out with thier Critical Defense, I only use the Fiocchi for plinking. Hornady has the cure for Carry ammo.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 8:52 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

But, this link is a damn good place to start for references..

http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm
above link is the one to spend some time with...

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=47715
and this is the forum for the Series 80 Government model...

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_mkiv_series_80_&_90_pistols.pdf

The above link is the manual for the pistol..

As far as the spring being that tight on the guide rod, if it is a used pistol someone could have changed to a heaver after market spring, if it is a new pistol then the spring might be designed to hang onto the guide rod so it does not fly out when breaking down and also so that there wouldn't be any chances for it to deform and otherwise cause of issues with heavy operation.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 7:36 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

the Kimber Desert Warrior will be the one.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
3 years 46 weeks ago, 12:03 PM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
Thanks ISD

Thanks IshootDaily, really helpfull. I appreciate it.

3 years 46 weeks ago, 2:40 PM

john kelley

john kelley's picture

Major General

Go Taurus

From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots. --Thomas Jefferson--
3 years 46 weeks ago, 7:23 PM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
cant

I just cant own a taurus man. I will never buy one. Just somethin about em, plus all the stuff I hear about them from people at the shop, and how many people bring them back for us to send back to the factory. Im sure some of them will work fine everytime and never have problems. No offense to anyone that has a taurus, like i said im sure some work great. I have heard some people say they have taurus guns and have never encountered any problems, but the amount that say they have had problems outways that number

3 years 46 weeks ago, 7:38 PM

button5560

button5560's picture

Colonel
taurus pt945

older model .45 but it works like a champ, has never failed to feed anything and been very few miss fires ( reloads so my fault or primers) easy takedown and very good feel to me. kinda heavy, but makes for good 2nd shot. just thought i would put that out there. i know there are some junk in all makes. i had a s&w that was the most trouble i ever had. of course now i carry one. so when you get a good one whatever it is ,keep it.

just another day in paradise
3 years 45 weeks ago, 5:25 AM

PAT FINN

PAT FINN's picture

Private

HK, good post...

I have a Colt Commander ( 1972 ) and also a Kimber Grand Raptor II ( 2008 ) both in 45 acp. both are fantastic firearms.
I am presently in the market for another 1911,. it looks like I will purchase a STI Legend , my experience with STI is very limited ( try out at the range of other fellow 's firearms ) but the hand grip is very similar to the 1911 I have now. way more slim than the 4 Glock's I have.

good luck and keep us posted to your decision...

PF.

PAT FINN
3 years 45 weeks ago, 10:55 AM

Ranger Sarge

Ranger Sarge's picture

Brigadier General
HK45

I'm a HK guy myself.My carry is a USP 40 compact and also have a USP tactical.Would love to have a PSIG-1......but way too expensive.So I'll stick with my 700 USR.I also have to two 1911's.....Springfield's,one is a standard A1 and the other is an Operator.Both are great shooting and accurate.The operator is lighter and is the bells and whistles model next to the A1 and it has a lower pictanny rail.They hold their pretty good.Not like Colt.But what does.Kimbers are good shooting weapons also.Afriend of mine let shot his and I shot better with it than he did.It was their conseal carry model(something like that)4 or 4 1/2 barrel.If I were to buy another 1911 it would be a Kimber.

The hardest part about living is not dying,it's having something that lives in you,die.
3 years 44 weeks ago, 8:22 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
Finally shot the Colt

I shot the Colt over the weekend and man that sure is a pleasure to shoot. recoil is very smooth and very manageable and it is hard not to be accurate with it. It was very accurate and very simple to be accurate. The way it points and feels is so natural just point and pull the trigger.... right on target. I am really happy with my purchase, and dont think ill be selling or trading this one! :)

3 years 39 weeks ago, 12:41 PM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
1911 PISTOLS

You can't go wrong with the big 3 --- COLT, KIMBER, SMITH & WESSON.

3 years 39 weeks ago, 1:52 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
I'm surprised....

I'm really surprised that the Sig 1911 wasn't mentioned once. I shot the Sig 1911 Platnum Elite and was drooling on myself for three days..... And for mags, Wilson Combat Exclusively.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 39 weeks ago, 8:32 AM

HecklerKoch45

HecklerKoch45's picture

Colonel
kimpro tac

kimpro tac mags seemed to work just fine I actually havent had any problems with any of the mags I have. Put about 300-400 rounds through it so far no problems. Yea I also like the sig 1911 but its just not what I would buy from sig, I like the P Series from sig excluding the P250 I hate that thing, they shouldnt have put the P in front of it, it gives the P series a bad name in my opinion.

1 year 38 weeks ago, 2:30 AM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
REMINGTON 1911 R1

any good? saw some on base 45 cal trigger has the tiny holes i it 8 rd mag u get 2 of them looks like the older style $1100 and the green case lol

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 869 (2 members and 867 guests)
daisycutter, Solid Snake

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,678, Comments: 161,437, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity