Forums / Gun Discussion / First Shotgun for my son Mosberg 500 Vs. Remington 870 youth

1 year 28 weeks ago, 8:52 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

I wanted a hunting gun for my son. I was set on the Mossberg 500 youth combo. It felt like a piece of shit even though it came with all the right accessories (rifled slug barrell, scope and turkey barrell) . The remington 870 only comes with a smooth bore barrell w/modified choke. The 870 feels like a reliable sturdy Shotgun.
Any experience Anyone

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
1 year 28 weeks ago, 10:19 PM

captmax

captmax's picture

General
First Shot Gun

How old is your son? If he is a young guy, a 20 gauge or 410 would be the way to go. Gun for gun, there is no comparison between the 2 guns, the 870 is a great gun. The 870 is the most sold shotgun for a reason. As for me, 20 years ago, I bought a model 1100 remington in 20 gauge for use as my small game gun. I use it all the time and just love it. BTW, my first gun w as a single shot 420, which I still have, I would not recommend that though, lol.

Each election is an advance auction on the sale of stolen goods
1 year 28 weeks ago, 11:25 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
My son is

11. I was thinking a 20 gauge. He has been shooting a 10/22 for a few years. He is ready for shooting something bigger. I want to get him ready for the youth hunt when he is 12.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
1 year 27 weeks ago, 6:31 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
20 gauge

Remington 870,he will have it forever.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
1 year 27 weeks ago, 6:33 PM

captmax

captmax's picture

General
870 20 gauge

He will be able to pass it on to his son.

1 year 27 weeks ago, 9:48 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

I bought my son an 870 remington youth model with a modified choke. Cant wait to give it to him. Can we shoot slugs out of a modfied choke? Do I have to get a separate barrel?

1 year 27 weeks ago, 7:27 AM

captmax

captmax's picture

General
Slugs

It does not the screw in choke system? You can shoot rifled slugs out of it no problem. However, if you want to make it a nail driver at a hundred yards, look into getting a rifled barrell. The sabot slugs come out very accurately at 100 yards. Be warned you may pay as much for the slug barrel and a decent optic as you did for the shotgun.

1 year 27 weeks ago, 10:51 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
Picked up

a rifled choke at cableas. Gonna try lead slugs and sabots from the 870 with the rifled choke. Before I by buy the rifled barrel i figured Id try a $20 choke. we will see. If we can get groups at 50-75 yards ill keep it

1 year 26 weeks ago, 2:13 AM

beaverhunter

beaverhunter's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Thanks Paul

Thank you... for sharing the first experience of a new shotgun with your son...brings back great memories for me...AMERICA...as bad of a path as she is on right now! We still have the fundamental right to share this experience with our children...Even now, we are still the best place on earth...AMEN.

Kimbers and Colts are what you show your friends. HKs and Sigs are what you show your enemies.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 641 (0 members and 641 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
captmax, tallguy007, luckybychoice, daisycutter, crusty1sg, LLE, nobile157, presslerms
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,660, Comments: 161,129, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity