Forums / Political & Legal / H.R. 6257 Assault weapon Ban

6 years 6 days ago, 6:09 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

I am sure that most of you have heard of this. Hopefully they won't ramrod it through...

6/12/2008--Introduced.
Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 - Amends the federal criminal code to reinstate, for 10 years, the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act's assault weapons ban to prohibit the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Specifies models and features of banned weapons.
Sets forth exceptions to such ban, including: (1) firearms or devices lawfully possessed under federal law on the date of enactment of this Act; (2) certain firearms, replicas, or duplicates listed in an appendix as they were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (3) any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action and that has been rendered permanently inoperable or that is an antique firearm; (4) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (5) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds in a fixed or detachable magazine; and (6) firearms manufactured for, transferred to, or possessed by a federal, state, or local government agency or for law enforcement.
Requires the serial number of any weapon or device manufactured after enactment of this Act to clearly show the date of manufacture.
Directs the Attorney General to study and report to Congress on the effects of this Act on violent and drug trafficking crime.

6 years 6 days ago, 7:33 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

After reading this the only firearms that it is not saying is a assault weapon is a revolver or a single or double barrel rifle or shotgun. Just shows they want to disarm us and to think we are at war right now.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
6 years 2 days ago, 8:09 PM

2chuck

2chuck's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
H.R. 6257

so is this saying as long as you already own the "assault weapon" its not illegal, unless you buy it after the date the bill is passed?

6 years 2 days ago, 8:43 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

H.R. 6257

The law is showing you that our government wants all of our firearms sometime here in the future. They want to disarm us.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
6 years 2 days ago, 9:56 PM

d_ho13

d_ho13's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
HR 6257

So....who's going out to buy a new piece before Disarmament Day Jan 20th 2009???? Let's see a show of hands......damn libs

When the government fears the people, there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny. -Thomas Jefferson
6 years 2 days ago, 10:38 PM

CraZ4Gunz

CraZ4Gunz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
HR 6257

So far no action since July:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-6257

But I'm putting my AR-15 order in A-S-A-S-P (next month)!!! (30 day wait in MD between buys):-(((

...shoot 'em if ya got 'em!
6 years 2 days ago, 10:08 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

I will God willing. LOL

6 years 2 days ago, 10:12 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
Say What?

This is the first I have heard this. Why? Why isn't the NRA all over this. And now we have no support in the white house, congress and senate.
Is this real?WTF....I got mine!
So we are not imagining things like OBAMA said. He said he did not want to take guns away, did not have the votes even if he wanted too....I guess things change when you get elected. He hopefully will hold up to campaign promises.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
6 years 2 days ago, 10:17 PM

BluesHarp

BluesHarp's picture

Lieutenant General
Me too

I am gonna get me a new weapon soon. Maybe a Christmas present to myself. Merry Christmas to me, merry Christmas to me...

So do you think this jack off will be a one term president or what? Hope so. Looks like this might be Clinton's 3rd term in office.
God help us all.

Go buy your high capacity clips for your guns now!!!
Stockpile everything you can!

The Commies are coming!
One if by land...Two if by sea.
The Commies are coming!

Go ahead punk, Make My Day!
6 years 1 day ago, 12:34 PM

2chuck

2chuck's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
H.R. 6257

I think the gov would have a hard hell of time taking our guns, but if they make em illegel to own then it would be a feliny if you get caught with one.The fact that the bill is still in the house and has'nt done any thing sense july say somthing but that doesnt mean that this douch of a pres wont try to help push it through im sure it wont be his first order of buisness but its probley up there on his priority list looking at his past record of voting for gun bans

6 years 1 day ago, 12:40 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
2chuck

Well said. Just look at his Atty General Nominee. I posted his pic in my Pictures. Take a look. I don't put too much past, my slimy new Pink President! And I say this with the most respect, that, I can muster... samD

Welcome to Gunslot.com

6 years 1 day ago, 12:57 PM

2chuck

2chuck's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
samd

thats right was just reading about him last night and he sounds like a real douch bag to him and the pres should get along real dandy

6 years 1 day ago, 1:13 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
2chuck

Yeah this is real "Change" bringin back all the "Clintons" re-treads.
Hey how about Janet "Shake & Bake" Reno so she can kill another church group, those Mormons are getting real pesky. I am sure she find can another Elian Gonzales and family to terrorize... LOL

5 years 52 weeks ago, 8:21 AM

Anonymous

Assault Ban

From what i heard there will be no action till june 20th 2009. But thats all i heard.

5 years 52 weeks ago, 8:27 AM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General
where?

Where did you hear that?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses
5 years 52 weeks ago, 8:36 AM

Anonymous

SSRS10

Someone at My Church. Vietnam Vetran.

5 years 52 weeks ago, 8:51 AM

2chuck

2chuck's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

are they gonna cram this bill through in june or are they just looking over the bill seeing what changes should be made notice the word change it seams to pop up a lot

5 years 52 weeks ago, 8:57 AM

Anonymous

2Chuck

Like i said. I only heard there will be no action till june 20th 2009. Thats all. Just guessing "action" Probably means there gonna look into it.

5 years 51 weeks ago, 8:36 PM

Anonymous

H.R.6257

this bill was back in front of the house on november 24th,so beware!they are trying to fast track it to "The Messiah's" desk when he takes over

5 years 51 weeks ago, 8:58 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Not a felony

If this crap is passed, any weapon matching that become illegal would still be legal to own if you have it prior to the passage. I already have one, I thought about stockpiling, but I only need one anyway. I still disagree completely with this garbage, but I don't doubt it will happen. Just remember that if they ever pass a law requiring confiscation of existing weapons, it will fall on local law enforcement to enforce the law. How many county sheriff deputies will really be willing to come to your house and fight for your guns? The wonderful thing about being on the pro-gun side is that we're the ones with the guns, the Constitution, and over 200 years of piss and vinegar-laced defiance running through our veins.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 51 weeks ago, 9:38 PM

BluesHarp

BluesHarp's picture

Lieutenant General

it won't be with the local law enforcement. They will bring it with the Federal Police. Remember when Obama stated that he will build a civilian security team that is just as powerful as the military? Maybe that one slipped past some folks, but it didn't fall on deaf ears here. What did he mean by that? A national force that is as strong as the military...federal police? That sounds alot like the KGB to me, or the SS. He has got a master plan in mind and he has got the weak minded people of this country to follow his pied piper bullshit. He has not stated one thing of substance, only rhetoric and feel good shit. We are in trouble and we don't even know how much there is gonna be. This is how Fidel Castro took over, and Hitler and Stalin...the list goes on and on. They will try to disarm us and they will have a huge fight on their hands. States will secede from the Union, civil war will transpire, the US will be divided just like in the 1860's. Do you think that folks weren't feeling this same way just before the Civil War? The South seceded because the North tried to bankrupt the South through oppressive laws. There weren't that many slave owners in the south, just the rich plantation owners. Why do you think that the poor people took up arms against the North when they didn't event have slaves? OPPRESSION!!! They tried to starve the South out. The poor were just trying to survive. The North wanted to punish the South for breaking up the Union. That is why General Sherman was so popular. The northerners wanted to make the south pay for what they did, and Lincoln gave in to the pressure to make the South pay reparations for busting up the US of A.
Folks, this might sound like some conspiracy theory rantings, but as I said in a previous post, I am a fairly good observer and what I am seeing is adding up to the above mentioned senario. I am frightened and more than just a little bit worried.

5 years 50 weeks ago, 8:01 PM

jack010203

jack010203's picture

Colonel

well there is already a civilian security force, all ppl who own a gun. And all he has to do to strengthen it is put an end to this gun control nonsense.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
5 years 50 weeks ago, 8:05 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
jack010203

I put a pic up in my Images and it shows how many guns we have in American hands. I think this is a good deterrent for foreign invaders, plus all us ex-military types. Take a look at that pic. We out gun em all...

5 years 50 weeks ago, 12:14 AM

WO4USMC

WO4USMC's picture

Private

samD wrote:
I am sure that most of you have heard of this. Hopefully they won't ramrod it through...

6/12/2008--Introduced.
Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 - Amends the federal criminal code to reinstate, for 10 years, the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act's assault weapons ban to prohibit the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Specifies models and features of banned weapons.
Sets forth exceptions to such ban, including: (1) firearms or devices lawfully possessed under federal law on the date of enactment of this Act; (2) certain firearms, replicas, or duplicates listed in an appendix as they were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (3) any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action and that has been rendered permanently inoperable or that is an antique firearm; (4) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (5) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds in a fixed or detachable magazine; and (6) firearms manufactured for, transferred to, or possessed by a federal, state, or local government agency or for law enforcement.
Requires the serial number of any weapon or device manufactured after enactment of this Act to clearly show the date of manufacture.
Directs the Attorney General to study and report to Congress on the effects of this Act on violent and drug trafficking crime.

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT. AND KILL ALL OF THEM TOO.
5 years 50 weeks ago, 1:50 AM

BluesHarp

BluesHarp's picture

Lieutenant General
Wecome to the site

These people are the best folks that you will encounter. Proud Americans, except for the occasional liberal, communist, wellfare check receiving, government cheese eating, anti gun douchebag. But those are rare.

5 years 50 weeks ago, 1:25 AM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

Welcome WO4USMC

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy. Semper Fi

5 years 50 weeks ago, 8:18 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Feds can't do it

There aren't enough feds to do it all. The problem is that people will talk big, but fold when the time comes. "It ain't in my back yard". We all know the feds were wrong at Ruby Ridge. How hard would it have been to cause havoc with one or two good ol' boys with rifles from outside their perimeter. Am I saying we should do it? No. I am saying people need to determine a "line in the sand" if you will. As a soldier, part of my oath is to "...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic". To me, the Constitution represents the people, not the elected officials. My oath also includes "...obey the orders of the officers appointed over me and the orders of the President of the United States". I just wonder what servicemembers will do when those two sections conflict with one another. My choice is clear.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 50 weeks ago, 7:14 AM

Pkato

Pkato's picture

General
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Hey BluesHarp

Wow...the guy is not even in office and you have his entire agenda on file here and now!!!! Congrats. I do see some issues with him and I hope he governs more to the center and forgets about all those far lefties who helped him and do expect something in return. But, I am still going to give him the benefit of the doubt. The best thing we can do is when he does try to implement stuff like you mentioned (if he does), speak up here, at the NRA, your local government etc. The best thing to do in my opinion is this: Let's take this proposal we are discussing. The next time you have a chance to ask your local politicians (in print, in person, at town hall meetings etc). Ask them how they feel about the proposal. Ask them specifically if they support it or not. Get them on the record. Send letters to the papers, get published, get the word out. Nothing works better than bad publicity....get to work man!!!
This message is greater than five lines and I know...I am a blowhard!
5 lines be damned!

Patrolman Kato
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone
under independence. -- George Washington
5 years 49 weeks ago, 1:53 PM

CraZ4Gunz

CraZ4Gunz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

I've got emails from 3 different online gun stores (I was checking on my back orders) - regarding HR 6257 - EACH ONE SAID THAT Jan 25, 2009 was an important date - "BUY NOW BEFORE YOU CAN'T" was their message!!!!!!!!!!

5 years 49 weeks ago, 3:00 PM

coldfront

coldfront's picture

Lieutenant General

Dont listen to gun stores. obviously they want to make alot of money so pushing a scare is an easy tactic. YES this is potentially a big problem, key is potentially. In order for him to pass that bill, he has to duck and dodge the wave of bullets. second, I'd like to see the guy that has the balls enough to take our guns away, they wont be just handed over. So in saying, this dick would be willing to kill people just to take their guns??? there is way too much pro-gun support for that nonsense

Confucious say: Go to bed itchy asshole, wake up stinky pinky
5 years 49 weeks ago, 3:08 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

It is not about taking your guns away. It is about banning the production and importation of certain firearms and restricting and taxing weapons and ammo

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 49 weeks ago, 5:43 PM

ssrs10

ssrs10's picture

Lieutenant General

I agree completely.....good luck taking them away if they try....we all know that many of us would rather fight and die....

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses
5 years 49 weeks ago, 3:10 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Reaper

Amen, Amen!

5 years 49 weeks ago, 4:49 PM

CraZ4Gunz

CraZ4Gunz's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
Buying Craze

I just started getting into shooting and what I'm seeing is that a lot of AR-15 stuff is drying up - whether this stupid law goes into effect now or later it is definetly affecting supply and demand - I live in MD and its hard enough to get what I want without this extra added BS...

5 years 49 weeks ago, 6:06 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General
My Friends............

Let us not allow our emotions to get the best of us, either individually OR as a group of concerned citizens.
The Constitution of the United States provides for and supports resistance to any governmental organization which would [attempt to] tyranize the populous. Resistance does not mean actively violating the law of the land, but it does mean, first petitioning for grievances to be given "due process" as provided for in the Constitution.
The President Elect will take an oath of office that HE will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, under Article II, Section 1, clause 7, of that Constitution, which also provides that the President must "take care that the laws be faithfully exercised".
I submit to you that if this structure totally fails, you and I will have a lot more to worry about, than either partial or total gun confiscation.
However, I also submit to you, that you and I have something the Federal Government does NOT have, quite yet. We have our OWN Army--an Army of 17 million military veterans, most of whom are armed and know something about efficient fighting, and most of whom would become a formidable[if a little aged] nucleus of an almost overwhelming fighting force in this Country. You might think we would be horribly out-gunned and out-teched. Not for long. As has been alluded to here before, do you believe that this nation's military would succumb to killing or interning their own families?? Some might try, but in the end THEIR end would be inevitable.
Yes--this sounds like the scenario of a badly imaginative modern day movie.
I doubt that anything like this will happen. However, as I have suggested before: PLAN FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. While you are doing this, however, research the following: REX 84: FEMA Quasi-Military force; and The FEMA Concentration Camps. God Bless The United States of America.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 686 (0 members and 686 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,678, Comments: 161,442, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity