Forums / Gun Discussion / Howa bout a Savage or Rem 700?

4 years 34 weeks ago, 10:55 PM

Lovegunner

Lovegunner's picture

Corporal

Trying to decide what to get as a first rifle. Usage will be varmints and practicing for long range shots-hoping to be a Police sniper one day. I really like the Howa with the Knoxx Axiom stock but a buddy who was an Army sniper in Iraq suggested the Savage tactical. In doing my research I found that the Marines and many police agencies use the Rem 700. Any body have any opinions?

4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:06 PM

Anonymous

savage

is my vote as a savage owner.nothing wrong with the rem 700 but they are like a--ho-es.dont know about the Howas

4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:23 PM

LittleDragon

LittleDragon's picture

designate marksman's rifle. the first two are the DPMS Panther Mini SASS in 5.56mm x 45mm NATO. ryo shoot the M262 OTM match round out of this rifle and it shoot really far and very accurate. also own the DPMS Panther LRT SASS in 7.62mm x 51mm NATO. shoot the M110LR round out of this rifle and 800 to 1000 meter accurate shots are very easy with this rifle. the prices for these rilfes, even with upgrades to the basic models as ryo get are quite reasonable considering what is being offered. the designate marksman rifle that own is the Swedish make Saab/Bofors FFV AK 5B Basic DMR also in 5.56mm x 45mm NATO. other than the brand new Israeli make Galil sniper rifle, this is the longest ranged AK class rifle on the market. it shoot fantastically far for this caliber. ryo also shoot the M262 OTM round out of this rifle as well. the AK 5B is however very expensive. was gift from family for graduation from Range Safety Officer school at our gun club and shooting range.

your friend,

LittleDragon

Moshi Moshi from LittleDragon
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:46 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
GP you have a PM

samD

4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:48 PM

Anonymous

got it

and a reply to you sir

4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:53 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Back at you gp

samD

4 years 34 weeks ago, 12:01 AM

Anonymous

play it again sam

your turn

4 years 34 weeks ago, 12:12 AM

Anonymous

sam

i played my final card.read em'

4 years 34 weeks ago, 1:17 AM

ja0124

ja0124's picture

Colonel
personal opinion

I would go with the remington, but you'll be good to go with either one.

4 years 34 weeks ago, 9:37 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

have filled the bill as sniper rifles for the military,either would be very good with a good scope too.Please let me know what you decide and what scope you put on to as i have that on my wish list too.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 34 weeks ago, 9:15 PM

Lovegunner

Lovegunner's picture

Corporal

My choice of scope is already made. Burris makes a 3-9x40 that retails for about $250 and comes with a free bipod that is pretty stout. That will sit atop whichever rifle I choose.

4 years 33 weeks ago, 9:21 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Savage is a good rifle

Most see them as crappy Wal-mart hunting combos, but Savage tacticals are much less expensive than similar Remington 700s and will still outshoot most peoples' abilities. As for long range shooting, very few police marksmen fire at ranges more than 100 meters. If you want to be on a Marksman/Observer team, practice "T-zone" shots at 100 meters and less from various positions at various angles of exposure. Break a head of lettuce open, put a lime inside it down by the bottom, tape the lettuce back up, and practice hitting the lime from different angles will help. What's wrong with me?

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
4 years 33 weeks ago, 9:24 AM

Gregory

Gregory's picture

Major
Savage

I agree runawaygun762, my friend owns a savage as I own a R700. Both guns operate nicely and even though I prefer the R700 for fluidity and control and accuracy there is no doubt in my mind that a savage is a great rifle.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1078 (0 members and 1078 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,876, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity