Forums / Gun Discussion / Hunting 243WIn vs 308Win vs 300WinMag

3 years 15 weeks ago, 11:23 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

You're in front of wide awake n'angry American Alligator or waiting it out to cull that injured bull Alaska Yukon Barren Ground Caribou we'd all want a 416Rigby, yeah...
BUT folks, if you're wanting to buy a barrel for lots of those long walks in Texas for their Whitetail... and the odd quiet day in California scoping Dall Sheep with cool of breeze as you sit up on the rise... and helping mates with their varmint Coyote problem from the pickup... and in high summer chasing for some Florida Piggies though the young scrub... and every once in a while buying a guide for an Alaska Brown Bear...
Do you go for a 243Win with a 4000fpt round as an option... or the occassional overkill of a 300WinMag... or the weighty lead of a smooth 308?

3 years 15 weeks ago, 11:38 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
my opinion

Unfortunately, there's not really a "one size fits all" cartridge. There's a big difference between a varmint coyote and an alaskan brown bear. 243 or 308 should be fine for all of the above with exception of the grizzly. There are people on here with a lot more hunting experience than me, and I've never taken a bear, but I would feel more comfortable with something a little bigger... unless I could take an M1A with a 20 rd mag and empty it out (which I obviously couldn't), I would feel a little under dressed with a bolt gun. I imagine .300wm would do the trick, but someone else can chime in.... talk about over kill, hitting a yote with .300wm!

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 8 weeks ago, 2:25 PM

VernDog

VernDog's picture

Captain
Difficult choice

Think of it this way. If it's going to EAT you, go BIG. If your going to EAT it, go SMALL.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 12:18 PM

upshot

upshot's picture

Major

Not having been blessed with an unlimited budget, I stuck with the .308. I figure you will be the most effective with the gun you shoot the most, and with a .308 I can afford to do more shooting.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 1:00 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

hehe

That will flat knock over just about anything you pop with it....
It is actually a packable rifle.

http://www.billstclair.com/blog/040823.html

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 15 weeks ago, 1:47 PM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General

.308 is the most versatile of the 3.

.243 cannot deliver enough bullet weight to be an adequate or predictable stopper on heavy/dangerous game. 100gr is near the top end, whereas .308 picks up at 110gr for very light/fast loads, and has been deployed up to 220gr "for keeps" within its effective range.

The .308, at least in military guise, takes deer/sheep-sized targets (people) well past 400yds with ease, assuming the shooter/gun/scope/ammo is properly selected.

.300WM is a better distance caliber, but doesn't bring much to the table with regards to sectional density, bullet weight, etc. over the .308.

If Alaskan bear is a serious consideration, then something in the .35+ range is a bare minimum, with .375+ being preferred.

.30-06 is a possible....Remington 55gr Accelerators will make a coyote look like it swallowed a grenade. The cartridge can do anything the .308 can do and more, and can deliver better velocities and bullet weights in the upper end. Plus, -06 also has the .308 advantage of relatively inexpensive target and milsurp ammo.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 1:48 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
Just Me

I like the 3006 I like semi but a 308 that might be a great round if you got a powered one.In the bush it is easy to pull the trigger then having ti fight a bolt or lever.........TY

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 15 weeks ago, 2:26 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
6P62

bring on the yotes!

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 15 weeks ago, 4:20 PM

Anonymous

Tough guy

Beats me why anyone would want to kill any animal that way ? Then take pictures and talk about the kick. I call that Candyass!. JC

3 years 15 weeks ago, 5:26 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
JLC

Easy big guy. I see a pic of a humane kill. No suffering. Just consider the coyote in the same class as the feral hog. We all got a species we want gone.

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
3 years 15 weeks ago, 6:31 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
agree w vaq

JLC- It was meant as a joke. That dirty rusky didn't really shoot a yote with a 6P62. That was just an image I found in a google search, which is actually a fox but it was tagged with a .50BMG. I like coyotes and think they're are a very resilient and intelligent species compared to a lot of game, but I also don't own a farm or ranch with a hen house or small livestock etc.... I can see how a lot of people would want them deader than dead. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to take more hogs than you can count over the course of a couple days and advocate taking hogs with a .22LR then call someone else a candyass for imploding a yote or fox? Just asking, no offense intended. I personally don't kill anything that I won't eat (unless it was trying to harm me or mine), but a little implosion of water bearing organs never offended me.

Sorry BushBoy for the hi jack. Back to .243 vs .308 vs .300WM

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:03 PM

Anonymous

When you are right, you are right. My apoligies all around ! The Pig thing was a revenge for actually killing and eating a child and digging up dead peoples graves, if it was a coyote and is doing damage than so be it. I did not realise it was a joke in the picture. I do not push my philosophy on anybody, but if I hunt and then eat it, like Reaper said. I see nothing wrong with that. Who am I to tell anybody what is wrong or write anyway, right. Some guys pile corn up and sit in the tree under the corn and kill the first deer that comes in to eat like the family pet. That is not hunting in my book. But that is my book, and have no right to impose it to anybody but myself. So again, I DID NOT REALISE THAT THE PICTURE WAS A JOKE AND HAD NO RIGHT TO SAY ANYTHING WITHOUT ALL THE FACTS. SO i HOPE YOU ALL ACCEPT MY APPOLIGIES, FOR COMMENTING ON SOMETHING i HAVEN'T HAD ALL THE INFORMATION ON. Thankyou JC

3 years 15 weeks ago, 6:35 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
full auto

reaper let's have a hog party at your place we shoot all the pigs and eat and give meat to those whom have none we can use 243 308 3006 50 300 wm I'll bring the Dr>Pepper.....TY

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 15 weeks ago, 6:41 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
sounds good

I'll try to borrow a ma deuce for the day, but only have enough lettuce for about 15 seconds so we'll have to make it count. Just what the doctor ordered!

3 years 15 weeks ago, 9:07 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

TallGuy, if you're talking 'bout only eatin' what we can catch then I'm with you quick lickity spit... Let's load the trunk and do it.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 2:17 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
BushBoy

Always eat what you shoot but you can have extra for others.......TY

BushBoy wrote:
TallGuy, if you're talking 'bout only eatin' what we can catch then I'm with you quick lickity spit... Let's load the trunk and do it.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 15 weeks ago, 7:56 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
One word

Claymore's

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:14 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security
pard...

of all the gin joints in all the world.. no wait that was boggie.. hmm..

anyway hola (im learning mesken) to all you tramps..

on the claymores.. 4 words "this side toward enemy" .. and nope never used them, but all those i respect, respect them.. ergo...

ergo... hmmm... wheres Schuy when you need him..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:19 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
geezer

How you doing pard?

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:24 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

doing pretty good.. ok .. REAL good.. was going to call last week and decided not to bug you over the fourth..

got to say its pretty good to see a lot of the old guard on here tonight.. obviously first time for me in quite a while...

hamp.. reap.. jon... clint .. shack.. wow.. somebodys playing the theme from twilight zone

3 years 15 weeks ago, 11:10 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
greg az

What am I chopped liver?

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:31 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
chicken dick

I thought about that earlier today, lol! Good times with lyle.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:36 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

That was one of the funniest days of my life.. So does Lyle ever swing by or what..

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:45 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
lyle

I get a e mail from him now and then. Gotta go guys.
I look forward to your call padre.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:49 PM

greg az

greg az's picture

see ya all later..

back at ya pard..

back at ya Jon..

you all take care, time for a cold one with the mrs..

3 years 11 weeks ago, 9:04 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
Greg

I sent you a friend request.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 15 weeks ago, 8:59 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

I'm not saying I'm the best shot but I kinda like to think I'm not the worst either - I've always been the fellah looking to make one shot count when other blokes with me are hunting with semi-autos pop pop pop pop pop.
So, forgetting the big bears, a well placed shot with a good 243Win is going to stop just about anything...
Whereas the kick of the wonderful 300WinMag can make for a long day and it's not necessary for varmints... which leaves the good 'ole 308.
Friends, I'm hearing here that the 308 may be the choice if a hunter has to move with ONE barrel, however, I keep coming back to 243Win, with its large range of easily available rounds some of which are 4000fps+ and that has to mean something inside 500 yards!
Weighter lead vs fast, flat n'comfortable? What do we reckon?

3 years 15 weeks ago, 10:00 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
.243/.308/.300 Mag

I am with TxLG on this. If it's between these three, I would go with the .308. It's enough to take almost any game in N. America and for all but the smallest varmints (fox, squirrel, groundhog), it is not overkill. And for the largest game that it MIGHT be a little less than desired (brown bear, moose), I assume this would be a chance encounter as if you were planning on this, you would equip yourself properly for this. Given that, the encounter is likely close up and an emergency. The .308 is adequate for this scenario as well as in this situation a good placement should be easy.

For myself, I would consider the .30-06 the most versatile round for N. America. You can get bullet weights from 55gr saboted .22 caliber to 220gr thumpers and a wide array of FMJ, PSP, partioned, bonded, A Frame. I recall even seeing 25gr wooden bullets once.

You can buy factory light loads (Managed recoil from Remington, for one) or load to your own specs using the most widely available components. And this is where the .30-06, IMO, has other cartridges beat. It has been so popular, there is no shortage of inexpensive, quality components.

3 years 15 weeks ago, 1:12 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

It's why I have the 308 FP10-2.

Four legs or two it will do what it needs to do either close up or far away...

3 years 15 weeks ago, 1:18 AM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
243 win

Where I live, the 243 is near perfect. Its a very capable deer rifle. Also great for varmints. It is certainly not a large dangerous bear caliber, but it is fine for the bears I see. It is pretty much a perfect up to 300 yard deer rifle..and varmints as far as you can shoot. My ultra long range deer rifle is the 257 weatherby mag. If alaskan brown bear or griz is on the menu, I would not pick the 308 or the 243. But for nearly everything else the 308 and its child the 243 are great. If I lived out west where distances were always very long, I would just use the 257 weatherby. It is an awesome round.

3 years 14 weeks ago, 11:00 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel
Travelling NATO

First, can I say that regardless of whatever I said to open this forum was based on the knowledge that a "one barrel for EVERYthing" concept is bullshit.
On balance, a 243, with its terrific range of modern sheels, would be good for varment and 'light' game, and the bigger sticks for big game is the answer...
However, a hunter travelling to n'from Europe needs to keep a squillion yards away from NATO calibers - trust me, I know - and therefore 223s (5.56x45) MUST be avioded like the Black Death for shooters flying out of the States and to keep things simple the beaut 308 (7.62x51) option ought to be dropped from the equation too.
Yes, this NATO issue is of NO interest for North Americans hunting Stateside but keep it in mind if you come to Bavaria or if you're flying in n'out of the EU!

3 years 14 weeks ago, 11:24 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel
Hunting the West

Hands up, I admit it - I like 243s but I lernt something at Gator Guns & Ammo on the weekend when I was trying to sight in Larry's home defence auto...
Nat said that when hunters go over to the West and don't personnally know the farmer or the hunt pro they ask you "What caliber you wantin' to shoot?" and if you answer "243" they won't let you shoot white tail and whatever 'coz too many customers turn up who can't shoot for shit and a badly placed 243 just ain't killing game!
"Then what's the minimum that'll always be accepted?"... "A 270"

Now, before you all jump up yellin', Nat's been 'round the track more times than most of us, so show respect please...
But friends, is that correct? That in Texas and further west when a visitor comes he or she has to be carrying at least a 270?

As I've asked around this last week since gettin' back to the land of the free, as I've thumbed my way through my Cartridges of the World 12th Edition and as all you GunsLot shooters have pitched in with good advice, I've pretty much decided on the muzzy and a 270 for my T/C Encore ProHunter. YES?

3 years 14 weeks ago, 11:40 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
BushBoy

I firmly disagree. With the at least .270 part. Not for whitetail, anyway. Mule deer, maybe. But again, much of this DOES depend on the shooter. Some can use a .22 and take large but thin skinned game. It makes me wonder if this guy turning away hunters with a .243 also turns away bow hunters. A high 200s FPS broadhead doesn't even come close to the currently agreed to metrics of devastation in a missile, but somehow bow hunters are able to take deer. And cleanly too!
There is a certain balance of skill and firepower that must be maintained and no matrix can define the saddle points.
By the way, how popular is the .30/30 over there? I know you're in Deutchland, which is why I qualified my comments with "in N. America" as I haven't had the pleasure and honor of being granted a jagdschein and participating in die Hirschjagd. But, if military rounds are a no-go and .30/30 is readily available and affordable, it is a good round. Not for beanfield shooting, but in a dense wood with a lever action, it will do the trick.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 4:09 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel
Bows out West

Yeah, okay Saint Browning, 'cept I reckon bows are allowed when a 243 isn't 'coz the bowmen and women are 20 yards away up a tree if they can find a big enough trunk out West, whereas maybe the problem is fellahs flying in from downtown Cityville have arrived to ping Texas deer and buried rounds in games' legs, butts and God knows what else leaving bleeding running targets that the landowners have had to go find and destroy. Maybe, maybe not, but we saw that kinda thing in the Aussie Outback when I was a kid and perhaps that's the source of the problem and why a 270 and bigger is required. On t'other hand, it does seem a bit excessive to make such a general rule but Nat at Gator Guns is a loooong way from wet behind the ears and he was kind enough to pass on his experience.
You know what friends, LET'S HEAR FROM WEST TEXAS LANDOWNERS... and get it from the horse's mouth!
COME ON LUCK LONE STATERS, WHAT'S THE REALITY!

3 years 13 weeks ago, 7:19 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
West Texas

I don't own land in West Texas, but I lease land there. That's were I hunt. Now, I admit, there are more trees on this piece of land than is normal out here and that allows for bow hunting, and a couple of the other guys on this lease do that. I don't bow hunt myself since, well, I'm just not good enough to. :)
I hear what you're saying about the City folk wanting to start hunting. There is plenty of that. I would think that the guide would grill them a bit though to assess their abilities and not just flat out deny a .243. But maybe he just doesn't want to mess around with it at all. I can understand.
Like I said before, I like the .30-06 myself. I've got a raging hard-on for that cartridge. And, when I hunt hog, deer, and coyote (because I don't care what's left of them), I use this.
But several of the other hunters here use the .243. And believe me when I say that it does the job on any of these. I know, because I helped these guys dress the kill. Now these guys are good shots and know what they are doing. But every one we've done this year, the entry wound was a nice little hole, the lungs (and sometimes the heart) were exploded, and there was a larger exit wound. Not real severe, but larger.
But the bullet selection is crucial. 100gr minimum for medium game. But the case is a necked down .308, so it has no problem with launching that bullet. It has a nice, flat trajectory. And it's down range energy is high for quite a distance.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against you. Just throwing out what I know, and I know I don't know all. But if the argument against a smaller round is that misplaced shots don't allow recovery, that is true for the larger rounds as well. A .30 rifle round in the leg or butt or even gut shot can keep you from recovering the animal almost near as likely as the 6mm.

3 years 14 weeks ago, 11:13 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
out west

Well maybe.. for me the 243 is a great up to around 300 yards for whitetail. Maybe out west the shots are always longer. I don't know. I use a 257 weatherby for shots longer than 300 yards for whitetails but that is seldom a problem here in the east where the average shot is around 75 yards. Like I said.. the243 is near perfect here. I could see somthing different out west. The 243 is a very capable caliber for my uses. And it is very easy to shoot well.

3 years 14 weeks ago, 8:47 AM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
aha

Avoiding .mil cartridges is a problem in parts of Central/South America as well as Europe.

If a levergun fits your needs, there's piles of versatile cartridges. Newer ones like the Marlin Express help the levergun reach out, and the .30-30 Accelerator is a great varmint cartridge.

If you get into cartridges like .375 Winchester, .45-70, et al you are definitely in bear/gator-gettin' territory.

If you need to stay with a boltgun, then there's gobs of non-mil cartridges as well. .35 Whelen is a fav of mine, but not the best long range (400m+) hunting cartridge. 7mm-08, 6.5 Grendel, .338 Federal, and some of the Winchester/Remington/Weatherby mag cartridges are worth a look if you are willing to put up with the noise/blast/price increase.

IMHO the .243 is a fine whitetail cartridge, as long as you are in the heavier range of it's available bullet weights (75gr+). Too many of the lightweight pills in .223, .243, etc., are made for vaporizing tiny critters and don't do well on larger game. If a hunter/shooter is incompetent or unskilled, a bigger/better cartridge won't make up for it any more than a .44Mag will compensate for lousy shot placement in a gunfight.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 3:41 PM

dentalninja

dentalninja's picture

Major
hmmm

Living in the southeast, I like a .308 for just about everything. Not a big fan of the .243, although it's capable for whitetails. I run into a lot of hogs when I deer hunt, and frankly IMO the .243 is not adequate for hogs unless you can get a brain or heart shot. And to be honest...I like hog meat better than venison. My girlfriend also feels better about me killing feral hogs instead of 'bambi'.

The .300 Win Mag is great for hogs & black bear, but excessive for whitetails. In the two instances I hunted deer with it, I utilized a shoulder shot in order to make sure some structural damage was done instead of the round simply passing in-and-out. This round is simply devastating if it hits bone or substantial tissue in a big animal, and everything I've shot with it dropped in its tracks.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 11:28 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
wow ninja!

Pigs must have gotten bigger. The 1st time I was talked into pig hunting the recommended weapon was a model 57 smith. A 41 magnum. I looked everywhere for one. It was in 1984 or 85. Had to settle on a ruger redhawk in 44 magnum. Not nearly as attractive or as easy to shoot as my friends 57. I was eventually able to find a model 29. Much more to my liking. I still want a 57 though. Neither have anywhere near the power of a 300 magnum. But seemed to work just fine on pigs, bear, deer or anything else really.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 7:35 AM

dentalninja

dentalninja's picture

Major
big pigs

I've personally taken a 400-lb. boar deep in the swamps of southern SC.

Handguns like the .41 and .44 magnums are adequate for some of the smaller hogs at close ranges, but I don't relish the idea of having to track a big wounded hog in dense underbrush. A buddy of mine almost met his maker doing so; luckily, the injured pig's charge was blunted by a tall cypress knee and my friend didn't get tusked--just thrown. The pig tore off into the underbrush & bled out; he recovered him later. When he butchered the hog, he found that the 30-30 round had entered the left side, sliced one of the vessels above the heart and stopped in the animal's thick neck muscles. Even with a large blood vessel damaged, this pig had quite a bit of fight in him & my buddy almost paid the price. And most people would say that a 30-30 is more than adequate for hogs.

The smaller hogs aren't nearly as dangerous, but I would rather have too much firepower than too little when it comes to potentially scary situations.

3 years 13 weeks ago, 4:58 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

Meine Guete Saint Browing, don't get me on this 'Jagdschein'! Although I don't really enjoy pistol shooting, especially down in a cellar, I'm proud to say I got a 5th in a 'King's Shooting' at a good club... but I'm not allowed to carry a rifle (yet!) here in the Free State of Bavaria!
For those of you very fortunate enough NOT to have to know what is this f****** stupid piece German paper, the Saint and I can tell you it's needed to hunt here in Deutschland. Six months night school at least once a week and this 'must do' teaching costs Euro2000+, not a sentence of which concerns shooting but at the end you know the colors of all the sparrows (vermin back in the Bush) and you'll have met some nice blokes almost all of whom are there not to hunt but 'coz they want to learn about nature (which is fine but...)
And when you're finished, if you pass (a Prince pal of mine says it's the hardest exam he's ever taken) you're then very very restricted as to where and what and how you may 'hunt' - hunting does not mean tracking, it means sitting it out whilst the less well off local yokels push game your way 'til you've caught 'em in the sights of a weapon unlikely to have cost less than $4,500 which one must carry or you're just not cool.
Of course there are some really wonderful blokes here - hey, came here 'coz the men are real men and the gals are stunning - and there are some fantastic shots many of them hunting up in the Alps 'hills' behind me in all weathers and with rifles costing less than their boots... and they don't miss.
But the jagdschein and the style of 99% of the hunting here is why I'm gonna hunt North America!... Sorry for the rant, but jeez Louise, the US is in so many ways such a fantastic and free country!

3 years 13 weeks ago, 8:35 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General

Glückwünsche! I agree, the German hunt is probably not as enjoyable as the the American hunt overall, it still would be a neat experience. I've only read about it and heard from meine Mutti (Sie ist deutsch) But probably not worth going through all the trouble of getting a Jagdschein. But I liken it to the English fox hunt. Not really hunting as Americans view it, but a social event.
One other thing about the Jagdschein that may be bad based on your point of view. Once you obtain it, you are REQUIRED to participate in certain duties for the state. Like animal control.
BTW, how is hunting in Australia? I would imagine it is similar to the US. I've always thought of the Aussies as the closest to being American you can get. And in some ways, better. The Aussies haven't gotten all PC like America has.
There are a lot of parallels with the US and Australia. I like to think of us like twin siblings. Children of England. We have our slow, ne'er do well brother, Canada and our adopted brother, India.
America was the rebellious one that kicked our Dad's ass and left the home, only to reconcile later. Australia stuck around and eventually moved out with Dad's blessing.

3 years 12 weeks ago, 2:21 PM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel
Outback with the 243

I've said it before here... We used 243 in the Aussie outback and roos are bloody quick running (bouncing!) game so it must'ave been good enuf!
I normally had city chicks - I took one stunning chick out bunny shooting with my 243 with long nose Czech military cartridges. Anyway, the joke was to play 'Where's the Bunny?'
You find a bunny - not a problem is Australia - acquire it and squeeze... "Where'd it go?" "A squillion bits, is where!" I nearly spit my sides watching her look 'round for it. "Poor bunny"
Like I say, if you're any sort of shot it's a nice caliber, but I still think on balance a 270 might be a smart non-NATO choice. Yeah?

3 years 12 weeks ago, 2:38 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

General

Oh, yeah. I personally prefer larger caliber. That's why I prefer .45ACP over 9mm. And, I follow Elmer Kieth's side of the debate on epic Keith/O'Conner clashes. But of course, these are all generalities and all bets are off when X factors reveal themselves and become tangible.

3 years 12 weeks ago, 2:24 PM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - .

3 years 12 weeks ago, 2:29 PM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

"Live free or die - death is not the worst of evils"...
I've been dead and I can tell Mr Stark something he probably didn't know... Dying is easy, keeping alive is much much harder!

3 years 10 weeks ago, 7:33 AM

cjmsr6669

cjmsr6669's picture

Corporal

For a coyote rifle I say any 5mm. style rifle .223 and similar rifles is plenty. You can also kill feral hogs with these I know for a fact my brother in law is a police officer in a semi rural area and they use their patrol riifles to shoot the occasional nuissance hog. As far as large game rifle i would take the largest caliber I could legally use maybe .338 winchester mag or .375 h&h mag Especially for bear or other dangerous game you want to "pop em and drop em" so to speak. Also I would recommend spare no expense on both rifle and optics you want somthing with a smooth fast action in case you need to get off a second shot to save your life. But comparing coyotes to bears is like comparing apples to oranges and so is comparing the proper rifles to kill them with.

3 years 8 weeks ago, 1:19 PM

Larry Wagner

Larry Wagner's picture

Lieutenant General

Until you threw in bear I would have said what ever your comfortable with.
(yea I know, same old worn out answer) but an absolute good answer.
All 3 calibers mentioned are great, I would also include a 25-06.
243 & 308 need no explanation. 300WM is super but will beat you to death. I say it is super
because it can be loaded up to take most any thing on 4 legs & loaded down to take varmints
& small game all the way down to crow & jack rabbit. If it's something that can eat me, I am all for very heavy 35 cal... Good luck

Any day above dirt is a good day!!! My New Motto: Where Do I Sign? (Oh yes I would)
3 years 6 weeks ago, 12:48 PM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

Sorry I've been off-line for some weeks and not got 'round to thankin' everybody for their seat-of-the-pants advice. Thanks!
I've ordered a T/C ProHunter 270Win this morning from Dennis at Dead Eye Ammo and can't wait 'til I fly back in mid-late-Oktober to scope it in with my Redfield 3-9x50 and head over to the Lone Star State.
Autumn's arrived here in southern Bavaria with a kick so this boy from the Outback's lighting a fire this evening so me and my 'wolf' Lago can warm up after a long trek up through the forest to where the wildschweine camp above the lake. They don't eat kids here but they're ask cute a cookies and fast as greased lightening.
Again, thanks for the tips n'the chatting...

3 years 6 weeks ago, 4:00 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
BushBoy

Where in Texas are you going? Drop a line when you get here.

3 years 6 weeks ago, 7:05 AM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel

Cute. I'll either drive or fly over from West Palm Beach to get to meetings in Alpine and Burnet and then I hope to meeting with a couple of landowners and an outfitter. I'll logon to GunsLot then.

3 years 6 weeks ago, 4:32 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
BushBoy

If the timing is right, you will ejoy this, not too far from Burnet.
http://www.oktoberfestinfbg.com/

3 years 3 weeks ago, 3:27 PM

BushBoy

BushBoy's picture

Colonel
Wies'n...

Very funny mate! And there's a copy in the Adelaide Hills too. Actually, whatever it is that keeps 'em away from the telly and gets folk taking is okay...

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 649 (0 members and 649 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
tallguy007, teko52, captmax, Caber, gunslingercharlie, jpdental, LLE, presslerms, kweowner
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,653, Comments: 161,088, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity