Forums / Gun Discussion / Hunting Handgun question-Ruger Blackhawk 357 convertable

5 years 47 weeks ago, 9:38 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

I am thinking about buying a ruger blackhawk for hunting deer next year. The revolver comes with a 9mm cylinder. I think it is a great idea to be able to use two cals. Anyone know?

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 47 weeks ago, 10:21 PM

Anonymous

hunting handgun

.357 is kinda small,it will work but why not a .44 cal either special or mag?

5 years 47 weeks ago, 10:27 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

hunting handguns

I'm with Greasy, the 44 mag or special would be a better round to hunt with.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 47 weeks ago, 10:35 PM

undeniable

undeniable's picture

Major General
Handgun hunting.

I'd rather have a rifle, but if your going to use a handgun the .44 Mag is a pretty good one. You may want to look into Thompson/Center arms and then you can get a handgun in just about any cal. you'd want.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kevin Spacey: (The Usual Suspects)
5 years 47 weeks ago, 10:58 PM

Anonymous

or

try a .500 magnum.

5 years 47 weeks ago, 7:23 AM

wyattcl

wyattcl's picture

Major General
In the mountains, Kentucky, United States of America
.357 is ok for deer.

I took a 6 pointer last year with my Taurus 66 in .357. He didn't run far, about 45 yards. .44 mag would be better choice but alot of deer have met their ends with a .357.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
5 years 47 weeks ago, 8:08 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
357 for deer

I want the 357 Mag for deer and the 9mm for the rest of the year. Ammo is so expensive for 44 mag. I just hate having a useless gun for the majority of the year. I buy 9mm buy the case so the 357/9mm blackhawk will work for me.
BTW- we can no longer use rifles for hunting game where I live. ILLEGAL

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 47 weeks ago, 8:53 PM

wyattcl

wyattcl's picture

Major General
In the mountains, Kentucky, United States of America

Nothing says get the f*ck out of my house like a .44 mag. Use it for deer and home defense. Hell, buy both you can never have enough guns.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
5 years 47 weeks ago, 11:14 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

I have so much firepower at home. I like my 9mm's. I prefer a AR-15 for home defense. Pull out a black rifle and people shit themself.
But i will admit my downfalls. I was very poor firing a 44 Magnum. I sucked at 50 Yards with a taurus tracker. I think I need less of a recoil. A man must know his limitations. I can split a hair with a ar-15 or a 9mm P99. With the 44 mag I was pie plating poorly. Can not blame the taurus.
If needed, I can pull my 9mm or time permitting lock and load an AR.
I just need to be able to have options with a handgun. The reviews are good.
The recoil pressure of a 44 mag is about 20 Lbs/inch2 where the 357 Magnum is about 8 lbs/inch2. I hope to have better luck with the 357 in repsects to precicion and accurracy.
If I can not get the shot placement skill with the 357 I will not hunt with it. Still have the 9mm cylinder for the range. Must respect the deer and not allow it to suffer...
Also I will take it hiking with the family with the 357 load.

5 years 47 weeks ago, 11:56 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
357/9mm

I don't have one of these, but I like them. I just read an article about this question. The author said a 4 inch 9mm was adequate at 25 yards or less. .357 6 inch is plenty out to 50, a 44 mag is adequate out to 125 or more. I like longer barrels on my .357s for hunting. I have several 44s. I love them. I shoot the magnums loads every now and then. I shoot 44 specials a lot, and sometimes, I also shoot 44 russians in them. I don't know anything they can't do. Heavy 44 specials will dispatch deer without much effort, but like mentioned above, the ammo is not cheap at all, and hot loads are a handful to be sure. I am a huge fan of the .357 and the 9mm too. They are much easier to shoot with a high degree of accuracy. A .357 has killed a lot of things. Old timers would hunt anything with them. People are just always trying to shoot the biggest guns, they just don't hit much with them. I think if you practice a lot, and limit your ranges to your limit of accuracy, you will have a great time and kill lots of deer.

5 years 46 weeks ago, 11:19 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General

After listening to everyone I picked up the blackhawk 45ACP/45long colt.
The 45 long colt corbon +p rivals the 44 magnum.
As for the 45 ACP ammo I can buy the lead reloads for about the same money as 9mm FMJ. Best of best worlds. Hopefully this will be an accurate enjoyable handgun to target shoot and bag a deer with.
The gun came with two cylinders, 45 ACP and 45 long colt. Pretty exited....
Is the revolver going to be better in respects to accuracy than my glock 21? The gun shop said I would be surprised with the difference.
We will see....

5 years 46 weeks ago, 1:52 AM

Anonymous

demo!

you lucky ass!if i have a choice i either want a blackhawk chambered for .41 mag or i want the .45 ACP/.45 Long Colt convertible!tell us how it shoots!

5 years 46 weeks ago, 10:35 PM

Ironmike15

Ironmike15's picture

Brigadier General
Blackhawk

I have a super blackhawk hunter in 44 mag, and it is a very accurate pistol, so your's will probably be good to go.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 951 (1 member and 950 guests)
captmax

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,687, Comments: 161,594, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity