Forums / Political & Legal / Justices extend gun owner rights nationwide 06/28/10

4 years 35 weeks ago, 7:46 AM

beaudarvil

beaudarvil's picture

Colonel

By MARK SHERMAN
The Associated Press
Monday, June 28, 2010; 10:33 AM

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court held Monday that the Constitution's Second Amendment restrains government's ability to significantly limit "the right to keep and bear arms," advancing a recent trend by the John Roberts-led bench to embrace gun rights.

By a narrow, 5-4 vote, the justices signaled, however, that less severe restrictions could survive legal challenges.

Writing for the court in a case involving restrictive laws in Chicago and one of its suburbs, Justice Samuel Alito said that the Second Amendment right "applies equally to the federal government and the states."

The court was split along familiar ideological lines, with five conservative-moderate justices in favor of gun rights and four liberals opposed. Chief Justice Roberts voted with the majority.

Two years ago, the court declared that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess guns, at least for purposes of self-defense in the home.

That ruling applied only to federal laws. It struck down a ban on handguns and a trigger lock requirement for other guns in the District of Columbia, a federal city with a unique legal standing. At the same time, the court was careful not to cast doubt on other regulations of firearms here.

Gun rights proponents almost immediately filed a federal lawsuit challenging gun control laws in Chicago and its suburb of Oak Park, Ill, where handguns have been banned for nearly 30 years. The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence says those laws appear to be the last two remaining outright bans.

Lower federal courts upheld the two laws, noting that judges on those benches were bound by Supreme Court precedent and that it would be up to the high court justices to ultimately rule on the true reach of the Second Amendment.

The Supreme Court already has said that most of the guarantees in the Bill of Rights serve as a check on state and local, as well as federal, laws.

Monday's decision did not explicitly strike down the Chicago area laws, ordering a federal appeals court to reconsider its ruling. But it left little doubt that they would eventually fall.

Still, Alito noted that the declaration that the Second Amendment is fully binding on states and cities "limits (but by no means eliminates) their ability to devise solutions to social problems that suit local needs and values."

Just because it's legal don't mean it's right.
4 years 35 weeks ago, 8:22 AM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General
o yea gotta love that

the lefties are pissin in their weaties this morning

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
4 years 35 weeks ago, 8:45 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Yup! Liberals

everywhere are in mourning this morning...LOL!

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:17 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Especially this idiot,

according to him gun violence in Chicago will triple by tomorrow morning.....Please!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37975104#37974676

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:29 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

Hamp the "this idiot" thing is right on.. and i watched the CNN report as well as FOX on this and its amazing how the media can spin an issue.. The CNN reporter (Jeff toobin) is standing outside the supreme court and says.. its possible your neighbor can now buy stinger missiles and that inmates could have guns... Just stupid beyond belief..

Obviously you can read the openion and its clear that this does not infringe on laws that "keep the neighbors and inmates from owning a stinger" .. STUPID... shit i know stupid.... I've defined the word sometimes.. But this is so far out there its unbelievable.. Plus we all know EVERY study shows a decrease in violent crimes when gun ownership goes up... EVERY study... but of course some fool...

Wait a min..where's Lyle when we need him... Lyle get your ass on here and tell these jokers how the cow chewed the cabbage..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:40 AM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
Great day

A great day for gun owners and gun fanciers, obviously, but also a great day for lovers of freedom throughout the country.
5-4 decision. This is Stevens' last day, but with Kagan coming in, it will still be 5-4. Let's hope those 5 remain on the bench until well after Obama's last day in office.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:44 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
By the numbers,

It is nice to see that according to the numbers from this msnbc poll the anti gunners are in the minority.
http://msnbc.polls.newsvine.com/_question/2010/06/28/4575731-do-you-agre...

4 years 34 weeks ago, 2:30 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
Hamp

So were the govt. healthcare backers.
Cautiously optimistic.
Oh yeah, YEEE HAWWW!!!!

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 34 weeks ago, 2:53 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
I don't understand

Vaq, they rammed that shit right down our throats.

4 years 34 weeks ago, 3:12 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
I don't either.

But, they can stick this one up their ass!
Whoooo! Hoooo! I get excited when the good guy wins!

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 34 weeks ago, 11:53 AM

OozeRat

OozeRat's picture

Major General
my 2 cents

I think if the Chicagp ban does fall we may see an increase in gun violence in the short term but once the bad guys get it in their heads that the good people will protect themselves and the sheeple surrounding them we will see a decrease in gun violence and overall crime.

Nothing is as risky as certain failure.
4 years 34 weeks ago, 12:02 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

balloon...Like Bob pointed out there are four Liberals on the bench which in my mind is too close for comfort!

4 years 34 weeks ago, 12:05 PM

OozeRat

OozeRat's picture

Major General

I'm glad it fell, did you get up to ogden and the browning museum like you were planning?

Nothing is as risky as certain failure.
4 years 34 weeks ago, 12:25 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Unfortunately no,

my Bro and sis inlaw showed up at the house so that put the kibosh on that outing for now, my bro is the executive chef up at Glen Wild so he works constantly and I don't see him often. I am shooting for weekend after next since I have to work next saturday.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 761 (1 member and 760 guests)
LLE

Users Active within the last 24 hours
LLE, Pa Pa Tom, jf.chandler sr., tallguy007, daisycutter, DEMO, captmax, jpdental, M L, teko52, DanO
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,714, Comments: 162,068, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity