Forums / Gun Discussion / Looking for a good long to medium range scope for around 200 to 400$

5 years 13 weeks ago, 6:25 PM

lottou812

lottou812's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

I am interested in getting a better scope for my savage model fpx3 111 300 win mag. I will be using it for mostly target shooting from about 400 to 800+ yards. But a little hunting as well now I am kind of new to the shooting with a scope so I don’t know a lot about them just the bare basickes of them so I might need a little help understanding some of the terms. Right now I have a Simmons 3x9x40mm some people say it is a ok scope and some people say it is junk I have yet to use it I got the gun and scope combo right before I deployed.

brian lott
5 years 13 weeks ago, 10:16 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

Here's how you determine if a scope is worthwhile. You'll need a t-square or protractor. Zero the rifle for 100 yards. Then take a large square target. Put a self-adhesive target dot near the lower left corner. Then go straight up from that 8 inches, put another dot. Then go right from that 8 inches, put another dot. Then 8 more inches straight down from that, another dot. You'll have a square with a dot at each corner. Then, from the steadiest rest you can get or make, fire a group at one of the dots, doesn't matter which. Let's say your first group is the lower left. Your scope probably has 1/4 MOA (Minute of Angle) adjustments. That means each click should move the round 1/4 of an inch at 100 yds. So you should now turn your elevation dial 32 clicks up (4 clicks per inch, 8 inches to the next dot, 32 clicks). Fire a group while aiming at the original dot, not the new one. After that, turn the windage dial 32 clicks right, fire a group at the first dot, then turn the elevation dial 32 clicks down, fire another group at the first dot, then finally, turn the windage dial 32 clicks left and fire one more group at the first dot. You are hoping to see one group in each dot except the first one, which should have two groups. This shows whether the scope's adjustments are repeatable. If so, stick with that scope until you are confortable with the rifle, save up, and buy a nicer one based on the shortcomings of your current setup. No matter how high-end your scope is, you have to have experience with your particular rifle and load at varying ranges, under varying conditions, and you need to keep meticulous notes to develop load data. That data will help determine the amount of drop your bullet has at different distances under different conditions, and once you know that, and the range to the target, as long as the scope's adjustments are repeatable, you'll have no problem hitting what you need to hit. Whew, it's been a while since I wrote a novel like this. Hope it helped.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 13 weeks ago, 6:29 AM

lottou812

lottou812's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Thank you for all of the good info Info I will put that in to practice when I get home and I hope it is a scope that will last me for a little while because I had a hard time talking the wife into letting me get the gun in the first place LOL

brian lott

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 918 (0 members and 918 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
M L, luckybychoice, Solid Snake, tallguy007, captmax, rslander, daisycutter, teko52, Caber, DanO
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,678, Comments: 161,455, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity