Forums / Gun Discussion / looking for scope for my saiga 7.62

4 years 25 weeks ago, 1:44 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel

hey again, not much of a person for scopes, or atleast i wasn't up until recently. So I have no idea what I'm looking for in a scope. don't know what brands are give you the best bang for your buck. not sure what kind of magnification i should get for the saiga 7.62. I do plan on hunting with it when i get a 5 round mag and convert it. thanks in advance like always, and I also apologize if this thread should be under a different topic... just woke up from a nap and am not fully awake :/

I'm not home officer, take me drunk!
4 years 25 weeks ago, 4:05 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
hot_diggity

depends on budget. I would look into something 1-4x if it were me.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 25 weeks ago, 4:14 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
hot_diggity

that a 7.62x51 ?

if so, take a look at the Nikon 1-4x24 600 BDC... it will work with 5.56 and .308....

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 24 weeks ago, 6:25 AM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
ISD

7.62x39 so im not looking forward to sniping off deer from a long distance haha. plan on eventually getting a .308 in the future sometime this year in an AR platform, won't be buying pistols at all this year untill i get one :)

4 years 24 weeks ago, 11:11 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
HotDiggity

http://natchezss.com/optics/optics.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&u...

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/POSP-6x42-Russian-Scope.html

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 24 weeks ago, 11:16 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

Lieutenant General
another resource

Hotdiggity,
have you tried going to a guns show. I find the ones in my neck of the woods have all sorts of inexpensive gear, and you can haggle as well. Might be able to save you some money, or jump up in quality if you haggle strongly.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
4 years 24 weeks ago, 11:18 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
HD

What is your budget? I know of a couple good deals out there...

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 24 weeks ago, 11:34 AM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
Reaper

was thinking 50-100 right around there. its just a saiga and not looking to put alot into it, just something that works and stays dead on. sometime when i get to the range with it I'll think about spending more on it if it meets my expectations or exceeds them. not allowed to shoot rifles in backyards here... it sucks haha. so I'll be stocked up on ammo for it since i rarely go to the range.

-Clint, im so far out in the sticks there's rarely a gun show around here, maybe 2 or 3 a year at the same place.

ISD, thanks for the links, i like that virefield, not the price haha... if i knew for sure my rifle was worth a 300 dollar scope i would get it in a heartbeat. yet to test it out though. bought 100 rounds of wolf ammo for the saiga, i was able to snap a few off just testing it out for misfires, misfired 3 out of 20 times. but im guessing it was the ammo. was shooting iron sights 200 yards away from a sand pile we have built up by the woods and was hitting it, so accuracy is alright, just worried about how well built it is, and how long it will work like that without destroying the stamped receiver. wasnt able to find any reviews about the saiga 7.62x39 on here. perhaps I could get some insight through this thread on it if people have had experience with saigas. which im sure alot of yall have lol. any info is appreciated as always.

4 years 24 weeks ago, 12:04 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
HD

If your looking to throw something on it for shits and giggles for starters, get a Barska.

Does it have a side mount or top rail mount?

4 years 24 weeks ago, 12:28 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
HD

http://www.warriortalk.com/
http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=cfcfnocab&v=001dTY-NY...

These guys are about everything AK and Glock.

4 years 24 weeks ago, 2:34 PM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
ISD

its a side mount, been seeing some dust covers with picatinny on top of them, but doubt ill go that route, think i'll stick with the side, going to buy a mount with picatinny on top that latches on the side mount. and thanks for the links, checking them out as i type.

4 years 24 weeks ago, 6:40 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

will you use??? (WARNING) I have a receiver cover picatiny rail on my AK with a relatively cheap NC star (can't remember which, too lazy to look) scope on it, anyhoo, even with the stabilizing screw stops on the cover, it is impossible to keep zeroed, due to fairly loose tolerances of the AK platform, that cover is all over the place due to the recoil of the 7.62X39 round, it is much more accurate with iron sights....FWIW

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
4 years 24 weeks ago, 6:55 PM

jay sedler

jay sedler's picture

Lieutenant General
hot_diggity

checked these guys out yet? i bought one for my sks.been too lazy to do the install though since I'm poor,and got myself tied up in a "rich mans" gun now =an AR15 build.the only problem i see with my mount is the quick disconnect lever isn't a great tight fit on the stud it turns that applies pressure to the clamp(that holds the unit to the rail mounted on the side of the gun) i welded it,but since i don't think ill be removing and re installing it often i plan to replace the lever/thred unit with a metric threaded allen bolt for added pressure and not have to worry if the handle will"time"correctly to the mount.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/

CRY HAVOC and let slip the dogs of war!
4 years 24 weeks ago, 10:16 AM

hot_diggity87

hot_diggity87's picture

Colonel
hamp and jay

hamp, plan on using the side mount, im finding the mounts with the lever, or the screws, thinking the screws would be more stable.

jay, i like them scopes, come to the conclusion my rifle will be worth a good 200-300 dollar scope. so i will keep kalinka in mind, thanks for the link. will figure out which one ill get after a couple unemployment payments lol... thanks all for the info

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 805 (1 member and 804 guests)
teko52

Users Active within the last 24 hours
teko52, jf.chandler sr., tallguy007, cbxjeff, daisycutter
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,878, Comments: 163,285, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity