Forums / Gun Discussion / Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Markings

3 years 5 weeks ago, 10:02 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General

Anyone know where I can find VERY detailed info on Mosin Nagant M91/30 Markings?
I checked out www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm and couldnt make heads or tails of it other than my rifle is Iveshk assuming thats what the triangle with the arrow in it means? built in 1943. What I have read that war time Nagants were rushed completed and were rough looking in the metal work with tool marks. Mine fits that bill to the T. So i am assuming my rifle seen combat during WWII? Maybe? Anyways here are the markings I cant understand.

Receiver:

1. The hammer and Sickle logo. (Just assuming it stands for the russians)
2. What looks to be a circle or half circle with an "X" in it.
3. A "Zero" whch looked like it was put on with a type of Punch?
4. A rectangular punched in box with either an "I" or a "T" in it but not sure what it is even under a bright light.
5. An extremly tiny "5" at the head of the receiver to the left.
6. A "K" stamped in at the left side of the receiver in the middle

Rear sight:

1. Has a star under it when flipped up.

Bolt:

1. An "E" stamped. Among some half stamped marks I cant make out.

The Stock:

1. An "K".
2. A square with a diagonal line through it.

Any help would be appreciated my friends.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
3 years 5 weeks ago, 10:30 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Snake

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/arsenalmarks.html

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp

should find what your looking for on those links.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 5 weeks ago, 11:07 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
ISD

I ran across those sites when I googled the Markings yesterday. Sorry to say they were not to helpful to me when I was reading on there or maybe they were and I am to dumb to understand. But in any case I am sure my rifle was used in the war possibly in stalingrad or what is now Volgagrad and maybe even used when the red army took over berlin? As you can understand I am a history nut and wish I knew the name of the young russian to be issued the nagant I have now. Even though its a cheap old rifle it still has a historical meaning. Another thing comes to mind also. That is the Sniper Vasily Zaytsev used a M91/30 as a sniper rifle which is another awesome mark for the Nagant.

My nagant is not a sniper version but I can get a bent bolt and mount a scope on in and that is a thought I am arguing with my self on. Which means I may or may not do it. I have not decided.

Like I said the possibility of my nagant being used in the war like so many others is a good 98% as I read somewhere the other day that War era Nagants still had the tool marks and were rough as in not smoothed out on the metal which my nagant shows lots of tool mark signs as well as proof it is a war era nagant by the date of 1943.

Wow sorry to bore ya with all my nonsense pal. Didnt mean to run my mouth this much its just I am excited with my nagant because I have wanted one for a while and now I have one.

Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.-Ronald Reagan
3 years 5 weeks ago, 11:20 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Snake

never a bore dude...

Have to do a search on serial numbers for those used in that area. then see if it can be traced deeper to an exact division and such.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 5 weeks ago, 12:35 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
ISD

I dont think there is a searchable database for Mosin Nagant Serial Numbers. My thinking is that us Westerners were not meant to get Russian Nagants to begin with. Only reason we got them is when the Iron Curtain fell back in the day and exports began. Only the russians know what the fancy letter and "Hieroglyphs" mean (And yes I know "Hieroglyphs" is egyptian.) and I am sure the russians are not in to much of a talking mood with us americans over the nagant rifles. The whole keep them guessing thing comes to mind.

3 years 5 weeks ago, 12:45 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Snake

fyi: Cyrillic alphabet hehehe

Possibly head of the nail, they might not care to have anyone know the history beyond what they put into print and specific weapon history is probably a big NO in their opinion.

3 years 5 weeks ago, 12:52 AM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
LOL!

Basicly what it sounds like your saying is that the russians only let us know what they want us to know about the rifles. Nothing more nothing less. Ah oh well it aint anything major but I find the "Hammer and Sickle" logo to be neato. And the triangle with the arrow means its made in Izhevsk in 1943. Thats all I need to know. Anymore and I may blow a fuse in my noggin lol!

3 years 5 weeks ago, 1:52 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
ss

Your descriptions are pretty vague. There are more than a couple markings that could be interpreted as "a rectangular box with an "I" or "T" in it". Unless you upload pics of specific markings we will just be guessing. Here is a link that shows quite a few markings.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp
First, start off with the factory markings. Your rifle was either made in the Tula or Izhevsk factory. Find out what markings those factories used in 1943 and match them with your rifle. Once you know the factory, the rest of the markings will become easier. Does it have matching numbers? Many of the 91/30's were refurbished and thrown back together using a mixture of parts. If that's the case, it may be a little harder.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 5 weeks ago, 2:09 PM

Snake

Snake's picture

Lieutenant General
Reaper

I will get pictures up as soon as I can. Possibly tonight but not gonna swear to it. I dont have a camera so only way to get pics up is to use my mom or my brothers cell phone with the camra in it. And getting them to do anything is like an act of god.

I know my rifle is made by Izhevsk. The serial number is on the receiver and then some one with an electro pencil or something took and put the same number on all major parts. So i am assuming its a humpty dumpty rifle. Put together with various parts.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 780 (0 members and 780 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,639, Comments: 160,789, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity