Forums / Gun Discussion / Mossberg 500A 12 guage Shotgun

6 years 14 weeks ago, 1:47 PM

mph

mph's picture

Corporal

Anyone have info on how to assemble the Trigger Housing Assembly on a Mossberg 500 shotgun ?
I have checked the owners manual, and the web for info. The owners manual says don't disassemble it, have thier service dept. do it or get with a gunsmith. There are a couple things on U-tube, etc. on disassembly - assembly of the gun , but again, it's very basic and does not address the Trigger Housing Assembly.

Mike
6 years 14 weeks ago, 2:24 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

may want to ask craigman about this one... he's the 500 expert

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 14 weeks ago, 3:14 PM

mph

mph's picture

Corporal

Mike

Mike
6 years 14 weeks ago, 7:52 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

Hey mph read your comment on the assembly of the trigger housing. How much of the trigger housing did you dissassemble? Did you knock out any of the pins that support the hammer and spring? Let me know excactly what you did before i walk you through it. You can message me on my profile if you want or email me @ mrcraig12@hotmail.com I'll try and help if i can.

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:39 AM

mph

mph's picture

Corporal

hey craigman,
Thanks for the response. I did remove all the pins. I have all the parts and a vague idea of how they go together, but with all the springs and pieces I don't know where to start.
Appreciate the help. The video that was posted is good-- but it does not address the Tigger Housing Assembly, other than just as a whole piece
mph

Mike
6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:00 PM

Anonymous

hey craigman!can you do a pictoral of this.i have two of them and havent had them apart yet.i at the very least hose them out with brake kleen then swab the barrels (you would think with what i know i would know this but i dont,i do know the 870 remington though)thanks craigman!

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:08 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

greasy... im disappointed in you

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:12 PM

Anonymous

yeah!

me too!just don't have the right book to look it up and no time to find one.i just keep finding these guns for less than 50 bucks each.one of em' has two barrels(the 28 in. ribbed bird barrel and the 20 in. home defense barrel)the other has the 28 in. ribbed bird barrel but sure would like to know the RIGHT WAY to do it!at least i defer to higher authority!

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:10 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

The only thing that i could probably show you is the diagram from my mossberg manual. The pins can easily be knocked out and replaced via the same as they came out from the same hole you need to reset the hammer and the spring, everything else should be simple, i know easier said then done. I'll try and scan a pic tommarrow if i can and try to post it. For now i can walk you through it but if you have to, never dissasemble the trigger housing once it's out of the receiver just hose it out with your favorite cleaner. You don't have to take them apart unless you need repair. Of all the years and the mossbergs that i've have owned, i once never had any problems with the trigger housing and or had to replace any parts in them. Mossberg shotguns are tough and i shoot the piss out of them.

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:15 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

Hey guys, about the mossberg info, I'll be on tommarrow i have to sign off for now! Good night fella's!!

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:14 PM

Anonymous

mossberg 500

well if you can scan it and post it i kind sir would definitely appreciate it! donkey shorts!(thanks in german)

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:14 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

i was gonna start typing it out, cause my moss 835 assembles the same, but then i got a bright idea... google it so i could copy and paste. saves time. anyway came across this video.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbWcPdTRBI

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:31 PM

Anonymous

thanks guys!

the video was great,craigman do what you do preferably pics so that when i print it out for my gun notebook it has pics(gun notebook=a three ring binder with dis and re assembly instructions and info for every gun i own.so my family could do it in my absence)

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:37 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Greasypaws

Might I suggest a change in your quote?
Kill Em' All And Let Allah Sort Em' Out!

samD

6 years 14 weeks ago, 4:58 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

This is all i could dig up. mph, i got your email but the pic isn't big enough to show the detail parts of the assembly.

6 years 14 weeks ago, 5:04 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

to mph click on featured pictures

6 years 14 weeks ago, 8:42 PM

firestud2003

firestud2003's picture

Corporal

hey there i just got in waterfowl hunting and i just bought a mossberg 500A and was curious what everyone had to say about it in the sense. any imput or mods that i can make would helpful to make it a better all around gun and hunting shotgun

6 years 13 weeks ago, 8:38 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General
waterfowl mossberg

The standard mossberg 500 is a very good all around weapon. What makes it even better for hunting is that it has a 3"chamber a fixed choke which is usually improved cylinder bore for all types of shot and a smooth bore from slugs to bb's to buck shot. Keep the plug in for a 3 round max capacity, remove it for home defense. You made a good choice.

6 years 13 weeks ago, 10:30 AM

Skycam

Skycam's picture

Private First Class

Just picked up a new 500A from Big 5. Out of the box the action feels like it needs some grinding compound to loosen it up. No other shotgun that I have held is as stiff. Is this normal for the gun? I'm about to return it! Thanks Frank H

6 years 13 weeks ago, 10:48 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
Slide

Skycam, Welcome to gunslot. Hope you enjoy.

My Winchester Defender was like that too. Took some oil and a lot of cycling, to loosen it up. But take back to dealer and ask for an exchange or have them check it anyway.

samd

6 years 13 weeks ago, 7:17 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General
Stiff mossberg

the mossbergs new are usually stiff out of the box. dissensemble, soak all the part in breakfree clp, wipe down, very lightly oil the slide and bolt, and work the action back and forth by holding the bolt release. It should smoothin up for you.

6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:29 AM

Skycam

Skycam's picture

Private First Class
Stiff 500A

I cycled it about 1000 times, it seems to have loosened. Thanks for your input.

6 years 13 weeks ago, 2:08 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General
Stiff 500A

The mossberg in time with use will smoothin up for you. Remember when cleaning, use break free oil on all moving parts, very lightly though. This stuff is great.

6 years 4 weeks ago, 10:42 PM

johnnyspc

johnnyspc's picture

Private First Class
Sticky trigger

I have the 500a Mossberg that I have used only three times.
Has anyone had a problem with the trigger.
It sometimes gets very difficult to pull.
thank you

6 years 4 weeks ago, 10:47 PM

Anonymous

Johnnyspc

Use some gun oil on the trigger.

6 years 4 weeks ago, 10:55 PM

johnnyspc

johnnyspc's picture

Private First Class
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply Snake.
I already tried that no success....Is there anything else
I can try.....
thanks

6 years 4 weeks ago, 11:19 PM

Anonymous

Johnnyspc

How old is the gun. I recently bought a Mossberg Tactical. So far no problems.

6 years 4 weeks ago, 11:19 PM

Anonymous

Johnnyspc

How old is the gun. I recently bought a Mossberg Tactical. So far no problems.

6 years 3 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

craigman9mm

craigman9mm's picture

Brigadier General

Remove the trigger housing out of the receiver, use break free gun blast, degreaser, spray the whole unit out and let air dry. If there is any gunk in it try using clp spray it will loosen up any gunk build up inside, use a soft nylon brush or old tooth brush to brush away any loosen grim. Then re spray the housing with a gun scrubber or breakfree gun blast. Let air dry. then only, oil very lightly, the hammer spring one or two drops max. and one drop behind the hammer spring. Mossbergs do not require a lot of oil. Oil the tracks inside the reciver two drops each side, and one on top of the locking lug of the bolt. oil the carriage and then wipe any excess off. assembly and cycle 6 or 7 times. pull trigger a few times also. That my friend should do it.

5 years 42 weeks ago, 12:45 AM

montywool

montywool's picture

Private
mossberg

i made the same mistake as mph i took apart the whole trigger housing and i'm not to sure about puttin it back together again can you help?

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1285 (1 member and 1284 guests)
tallguy007

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,690, Comments: 161,638, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity