Forums / Gun Discussion / Need a .38 or .357 revolver suggestion

4 years 31 weeks ago, 3:11 PM

ggpc

ggpc's picture

Corporal

Hello, I am looking for a recommendation for a revolver, .38 or .357.
i am going to use it primarly for home protection and range shooting. I prefer a med frame. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - for anyone who read my earlier post about a Glock or SA XD, I went and shot an XDM 9mm and it is fantastic. I can't wait to get one. Thanks

4 years 31 weeks ago, 3:28 PM

ivantank

ivantank's picture

General

I just bought the ruger SP101. shooting in all the time that i got free..38 no problem but still looking for a mag load that don't hurt to fire more than two reloads..

I have reasons for the things I do, just don't expect them to be reasonable
4 years 31 weeks ago, 4:49 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
ggpc

I would recommend a .357 over a .38 Special, because you can fire either round in a revolver chambered for a .357, but only a .38 Special in one so chambered. Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt & Taurus are all excellent brands. Colt stopped making revolvers some years ago, & any you find would probably be quite expensive. Ruger GP-100, Security Six, Service Six & Speed Six are all robust, heavy duty revolvers & will give decades of service with little or no maintenance (just clean them). Ruger SP-101's are small frame guns, & are difficult to control in .357 without practice & experience, although their quality is excellent. S&W models 13, 19, 65, 66 are medium duty guns that would serve you well. Models 581, 586, 681 & 686 are heavier duty guns. Models 27 & 28 are large frame guns. There are newer S&W small frame guns (J-frame) chambered for .357, but see the comment above for the Ruger SP-101. All S&W guns are fine quality. Be aware that you need to check the timing on them before you buy. It is, however, a relatively simple matter to have a gunsmith correct the timing. Any Colt .357 revolver can be regarded as heavy duty. These would include the Trooper Mark III or Mark V, the King Cobra, or the Python (very expensive). You should check timing on these also, & they require a gunsmith who is quite experienced in Colts to correct timing problems. Taurus revolvers are quite similar to S&W at first glance. They were initially based on S&W's, but later production is of their own design. I don't know all the past & current model numbers. Current production guns are very good quality. Rossi also makes .357 revolvers, & now that they are owned by Taurus, their quality is good. I can't recommend older Rossi revolvers. You don't have to accept the grips you find on a revolver. Aftermarket grips are made by many companies. Pachmayr & Hogue are the most popular, & both offer rubber grips that mitigate the recoil of full power .357 ammo. See which grip fits your hand best, and which points the revolver naturally for you. I recommend that you go onto each manufacturer's website to get a look at & an idea of the revolvers they currently offer. Also, you can check Blue Book of Gun Values, Gun Traders Guide & other publications to see previous models no longer offered.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 31 weeks ago, 4:57 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
thanks ecaman

that is a fantastic rundown of the revolver class,well done,i am a fan of the wheelgun myself,having a SW model 10 as my first carry piece,it is still my favorite plinker,other than that i go with Ruger.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 31 weeks ago, 5:13 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
LBC

The S&W Model 10 is an iconic revolver, just a continual update of the M&P of 1899. I've owned several, & all were fine guns. I don't think anyone can possibly go wrong with one. Double action trigger pull was better/smoother on the older guns (5-screw, even 4-screw), but the single action pull is probably better on the newer, shorter throw guns. They can easily be modified to have butter-smooth actions. My wife keeps a 2" 5-screw M&P by her bedside, loaded with Remington 95 gr .38 Spl+P's. They're very controllable for her, & she shoots it well, & WILL shoot it into anyone who's a threat. I think I've owned at least one of every S&W .38 or .357 ever made. My favorite was an older Model 28 Highway Patrolman (N-frame) that I was an idiot to trade off. I've never owned a Ruger GP-100, but I've had a few Security Sixes, & really like them. A 6" stainless was a great shooter, but my favorite is a 2 3/4" stainless with Hogue rubber grips. Good shooter, handles the heaviest loads easily, excellent bedside & house gun, but too heavy for me to comfortably carry concealed.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
4 years 31 weeks ago, 5:27 PM

CharlesW

CharlesW's picture

General
Live in the wilderness, Republic of Texas, United States
ecaman

Hey guy I also vote for the S&W Highway Patrollman.
It will handle any load you choose to put in it.
There may be a pistol as good but none better.

A little rebellion is good medicine for the government Thomas Jefferson
4 years 31 weeks ago, 5:29 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury

which i have only found one so far,and that was quite awhile ago now,i'd be very happy with that,now i have to take the grips off mine to see if it's a 4 or 5 screw model 10.Back in the early 90s i was shooting PPC with this model 10 and took some of the wifes red nail polish and painted the back of the front sight for a much improved and cheap hilight of the sight picture,lol...just took the grip off 3 screws on one side,holding the trigger plate and one screw holding the cylinder release.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 31 weeks ago, 6:17 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General
LBC

They made 2" Model 10's with both round & square butts. My wife's is a round butt (which I prefer), & has Uncle Mike's rubber grips. You occasionally see 2" Model 10's on gunbroker.com, but they bring a significant premium. They used to make a 2" Model 15; all had square butts. A good alternative to the 2" Model 10 would be a 3" Model 64, if you can find one. They made 3" Model 65's too (.357) & 2 1/2" Model 19's. The 2 1/2" Model 19's are really at a premium now. Damn good guns, especially with a Pachmayr compact or Hogue grip on them. The damndest PPC revolver I ever saw was a Model 10 with an absolutely huge bull barrel on it. It had the trigger bobbed & was modified to a DAO. It had the lightest trigger pull I've ever felt. The hammer fell before you realized you'd pulled the trigger that far. The owner had to load his own ammo to make sure it would ignite (CCI primers wouldn't ignite at all).

4 years 29 weeks ago, 5:02 PM

cbxjeff

cbxjeff's picture

Major General
38/357

I have a SS Ruger SP101 and love it. Feels good in my hand, well made, reasonable price.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
4 years 29 weeks ago, 5:14 PM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
.38, .357

Dan Wesson
early 80s.
All i ever owned. I do not see how it could get any better

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
4 years 29 weeks ago, 9:22 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Best .357 ever

Colt Trooper MK 3. Okay, maybe not the best ever, but the best anyone will ever need

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1191 (1 member and 1190 guests)
captmax

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,642, Comments: 160,876, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity