Forums / Gun Discussion / Opinons on a 223 rifle?

6 years 13 weeks ago, 7:41 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

Is a 223 bolt action rifle a good gun to use for deer hunting? I don't want some junk gun that will fall apart after a few trips to shoot yet I don't want to spend an unnecessary amount of money on one either. I'm interested in the Browning A-Bolt 2 Stalker 223 WSSM and have a scope added on to it.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 7:56 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

im not sure its even legal to hunt deer with a .223. I think in Kansas they made us use atleast a .308 or larger. Many people argue that it sometimes takes more than one round to drop a human with a .223, so imagine a deer.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 13 weeks ago, 9:55 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General
larger as in the round

larger as in the round "bullet" size correct?

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 10:11 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

yes, and cartridge. everyone that i grew up huting with used rounds like .308, 7mm, 30-06, even .300wm. but freedom says a .223 will drop a deer, i've never tried it or seen it. i would just stress shot placement like he said. the last thing you want to do is wound it and let it get away or have to track it down over a long distance.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
6 years 13 weeks ago, 10:24 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

so a 223 may not be a strong enough gun other then "perfect shots"? is a 308 a decent priced gun (less then a 1,000)?

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 8:17 PM

FreedomMilitaria

FreedomMilitaria's picture

Major General

I have personally killed 4 deer with my .223. I use Sierra 55gr. Game Kings. All i have to say is shot placement. I have only had to take one shot each on them with this bullet. A soft point or especially a FMJ (which is usually illegal to hunt with) will typically go through. I have seen a lot of whitetail killed with a 22 long rifle and good shot location too. IMHO bigger isn't always better. That only counts when it comes to close up self defense.

If you do not stand behind our troops...please stand in front of them....
6 years 12 weeks ago, 6:13 AM

skeeter51

skeeter51's picture

Major General
22 long

I went hunting with a buddy last year and both he and I dropped a deer using a 22 long rifle. All about shot placement.

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson---------------------------------------------------------- Happiness is a beer in one hand and a gun in the other!
6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:27 PM

Anonymous

223 for deer

here in WA state they are illegal but it was all i had one year(a ruger mimi14)i made a neck shot and put down the deer but was sketchy about it if you are looking at the wssm or wsm cartridges consider that if you choose to go to podunk america to hunt and leave your ammo at home you may not be able to get any in a small town.since you have chosen a nice rifle go .270 winchester,30-06,or .308 winchester you can always get ammo for them and they all do a dandy job of putting meat on the table.give it 10 years and see if you can still buy wsm and wssm ammo!good luck with that unless you handload!(dont buy into the latest greatest fads stick with tried and true calibers)if it is 40 years old or more means it will be around awhile longer (30-06 is 100 years old,the .270 win. came out in 1925,so there you have it!)

6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:34 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

i did look at some Remington 308 Winchester Semi-Automatics online and may possibly go that direction for a rifle. Ill be using the rifle for deer hunting and at the range in West Virginia.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:38 PM

Anonymous

rem .308

you cant go wrong with the 308 due to the popularity of this caliber.many types of factory ammo are available here,there,and evrywhere plus the useability factor is nice(what if you decide to go on an elk hunt?)in my mind 2 things apply to hunting guns:tried and true and keep it simple stupid.choose calibers and guns by these two rules and trust me,you will never go wrong or under gunned

6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:40 PM

Anonymous

gun considerations

what kinda things are you looking for in a hunting gun?price?make?action? lay it on me! i hunt alot and for many years so have at er'

6 years 13 weeks ago, 11:46 PM

Anonymous

another factor is what kinda terrain will you be hunting?and weather?

6 years 13 weeks ago, 9:06 AM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

Id probably go with S&W or Remington as for the brand, price wise I don't want to go over $800 unless I don't have much of a choice, I've used a bolt action before so I'd be comfortable with using one. I think I'd mostly be hunting in woods area and at the range, and I think the season in West Virginia is from Oct.-Dec. so it will a bit cool out but not snowing.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 2:59 PM

Anonymous

Savage

look into Savage rifles excellent buy for the price.reasonably accurate and available in many calibers.if you are near a walmart that carries guns they stock savages go take a look

6 years 13 weeks ago, 3:08 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

I would go with a remington 700 in .308, but its gonna run a little more than the savage though. You can pick up a used one that still a good shooter for quite a bit less than a new one. greasy's right though, if you're on a budget, the savage will work.

6 years 13 weeks ago, 4:10 PM

ssdd71

ssdd71's picture

Brigadier General

In Minnesota, and many other states there is a minimum caliber required for deer hunting. Most require at least .25 caliber and a certain case length. Depending on where you hunt (how big your deer get)
there are many good choices for cartridges. I agree that 30.06 and .308 are excellent choices in all around versatility. But you should not ignore the other fine choices that can be had. .243, 270. 30.30 are all very good choices. I happen to prefer 25.06 and have never been without "enough gun". Minnesota also has a very stupid rule about shotguns only in some areas. I don't particularly care for using shotgun slugs for deer, but it is the rule. The alternative to shotgun slugs here is pistols. I have found deer hunting with a .44mag to be very enjoyable. But your question is about the rifle. I think as was noted above, The Savage rifles are a good deal for the buck. You certainly cant go wrong with a Ruger or Remington. Winchester was the Riflemans rifle, but we all know how that situation has become. They are making them again and the say they are still very good but I have not fired on of the new ones yet. In some areas they feel the need for what is referred to a a brush gun, and the Winchester lever actions are the one most refer to. Marlin also makes a very good lever action and we all can agree that more deer have probably been taken with a 30.30 than any other caliber. Speaking of Marlin, I have heard some very good reports an there new bolt action rifle...Probably worth a look.

6 years 13 weeks ago, 4:16 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
ssdd71

Very good info. I remember my uncle used .223 back in the late '50s.
I always used the 30-30 because Calif deer were so small...
samD

6 years 13 weeks ago, 4:23 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

thanks everyone. there is walmarts in WV that sell rifles. ill check out the savage sites and whatnot as well

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 4:51 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

i found a nice 10FCM Scout Rifle 308 Win on savage arms.com for a pretty good price. http://www.savagearms.com/10fcmscout.htm

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 7:15 PM

Anonymous

buy the savage!

you cant go wrong! especially for the prices of these accurate hunter friendly guns!i have model 111 in 270 win that i bought at wally world 3 years ago for 350 out the door it even had a simmons scope on it!(cheap model)but it worked great!

6 years 13 weeks ago, 7:35 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
savage

In case you haven't looked, try gunbrokers.com.
I bought my Glock on their plus some parts. Had no problems...

samD

6 years 13 weeks ago, 8:17 AM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

I'll give them a browse and see what they have.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 13 weeks ago, 4:48 PM

howard

howard's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
.223 Deer Gun

Here in Oregon the .223 Center Fire is legal for Deer. However i've shot
deer with them with hunting type bullets from thirty yards ,chest shot,the deer took off and ran about quarter mile. Not encouraging use on deer!

6 years 12 weeks ago, 12:24 PM

mr.rogers

mr.rogers's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
been gone for a while

I deer hunt with my 223 ar 15. I recently reloaded some speers 70 grain loads. They worked great but make sure you have a fast barrel. Mines a 1-8 twist 20". Oh and just a side note. You can drop a human target with 1 round. Ask a marine...they train as marksman to hit delta targets up to 500 meters with open sight m-16's. Shot placement is key.

show your appreciation for your freedom, thank a vet
6 years 12 weeks ago, 12:36 PM

Anonymous

is a better choice.

6 years 12 weeks ago, 1:05 PM

mr.rogers

mr.rogers's picture

Lieutenant Colonel
it's just a little...

its not that much bigger, most states won't let you hunt deer with less than a .243, It's all about the challenge for me. I just placed an order for a different tube. Will post findings when I get some data on it.

show your appreciation for your freedom, thank a vet
6 years 12 weeks ago, 6:06 PM

ssdd71

ssdd71's picture

Brigadier General

The original questions were; is a .223 a good deer cartridge? - Answer - it depends. A decent bolt action rifle for this caliber? There are many, stay with a name brand as mentioned above and you cant go wrong. A resonably priced rifle and you mentioned a Browning A-Bolt. Well, a Browning A-Bolt is in the higher priced bolt action rifles out there, not saying it isn't a nice rifle. .223 WSSM isn't exactly a .223 except in caliber, and no more than a .223 magnum. Just different....

In other words, you have asked a variety of questions and many different answers depending on what issue needs to be addressed. So not easily answered. Hopefully everyones input wasn't too confuzing.

6 years 12 weeks ago, 6:33 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

I asked about the Browning A-Bolt 1st because thats a gun that I found that was on the cheaper side. I may either go with either a Remington 308 Winchester Semi-Automatic or 308 Win 10FCM Scout Rifle and both are under $800.00 before shipping and the fee to send the gun to a store/dealer

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 12 weeks ago, 5:35 AM

ssdd71

ssdd71's picture

Brigadier General
I agree

I agree with your selecting something in .308. Very versatile, many bullet and load options so you can tailor to your hunting/shooting needs. Great availablity, you can buy it almost anywhere. Semi-auto is nice if you need follow-up shots, but bolt actions tend to have better accuracy. I think you are looking in the right direction, good luck.

6 years 12 weeks ago, 8:39 PM

Warner357

Warner357's picture

Major General

I hope I'm going the right direction in choices. I do plan on taking the gun to the range before actually going hunting for my 1st time so I can "trim down" how much I might sway or move when using the gun. I'd hate to go out hunting and waste time,money,ammo,energy if I'm gonna sway too much and miss all the time.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
6 years 12 weeks ago, 6:16 AM

skeeter51

skeeter51's picture

Major General
my hunting gun

is a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 and works great for hunting deer!

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson---------------------------------------------------------- Happiness is a beer in one hand and a gun in the other!

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 931 (0 members and 931 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,686, Comments: 161,577, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity