Forums / Gun Discussion / Polymer frame VS 1911’s

3 years 50 weeks ago, 12:53 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

hey guys i havent been on here in a while but im doing a paper for shcool and i need a hand, without going into too much detail, im looking for a ruff idea on how many people would pick polymer frames or 1911's witch one you would pick if you could have only one

we've got you surrounded.... ... Smith... Wesson and me...
3 years 50 weeks ago, 12:57 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
hey smitty!

polymer=Glock=badass=a real good grade for your paper,hope your doing well and that gal you got clinging to ya is doing good too,good luck.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 50 weeks ago, 1:00 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

thanks lucky ya she is, were doing good. hows everthing going havent been on here in a while

3 years 50 weeks ago, 1:06 AM

greg az

greg az's picture

Secretary of Homeland Security

Nothing wrong with poly frame pistols, Thats been proved.. Individual preference issue on this one.. put me down in uncle Johns colume.. Agree with lucky on doing well, good to see you..

a man has to hold his word, hold his beliefs, and hold a good sight picture.
3 years 50 weeks ago, 1:12 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

SSDD

I took an oath,sworn to secrecy about the goings on here,samD is getting more powerful every day,run for the hills before it's to late!

3 years 50 weeks ago, 8:37 AM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States
hey LBC,

I resemble that remark...

3 years 50 weeks ago, 1:14 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

lol so same as usual then

3 years 50 weeks ago, 8:20 AM

Larry Wagner

Larry Wagner's picture

Lieutenant General
Up in the air??

on this one. Am a 1911 LOVER. but since owning this 1/2 poly P345 & handling & shooting a bunch of Glocks I would have to say either / or. Sorry not much help. But real answer would be any of my wheel guns 357 or 44?????

Any day above dirt is a good day!!! My New Motto: Where Do I Sign? (Oh yes I would)
3 years 50 weeks ago, 2:34 AM

CharlesW

CharlesW's picture

General
Live in the wilderness, Republic of Texas, United States

I know greg does and I would rather
have a 357 than anything. I don't
expect to get into the OK Corral
gun fight

A little rebellion is good medicine for the government Thomas Jefferson
3 years 50 weeks ago, 8:27 AM

Larry Wagner

Larry Wagner's picture

Lieutenant General
CW

Yea CW, I love my wheel guns. Don't get me wrong, Auto's get the blood going also but the 6 shooter (sometimes 5 shooter's) are near & dear to my heart.

Any day above dirt is a good day!!! My New Motto: Where Do I Sign? (Oh yes I would)
3 years 50 weeks ago, 8:34 AM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
1911 here even

though my regular carry weapon is a PPS.......

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:27 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
mine

I love shooting my 1911. Its really accurate and smooth. The trigger is like butter. Luckily, it doesn't suffer from the reliability issues that many do. That said, I choose to carry more of a combat pistol for protection. Whether its my night stand pistol, my ccw pistol, or my truck pistol. Those are all glocks and sigs (sigs aren't poly framed). The 1911 mainly stays in the safe waiting for the next trip to the range. It gives me a hard on, but 1. its single stack (low mag cap), 2. its heavy (for carry), 3. its reliable like I said before, but I take care of it. Its more of a spoiled little rich boy. The glocks and sigs perform in any condition. They're hungry beaten orphan midget street performers who live on dog meat.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:44 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Oh contraire Reaperoo.

If and when I get my 'horizontal shoulder rig' from uncle mike, I plan on carrying my 1911 all winter long (six months here)......I now understand how you just can't carry a gun of that size on a daily basis, not in a IWB holster, I tried that one day and was begging for my Walther..lol

Change you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ron Paul 2012----Vote the bastards out!---------------------------------
3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:45 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
did it bruise

or just bounce around?

...check... G-AZ
3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:48 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

have a big enough 'rod' going down my pants, I don't need two......LOL

3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:54 PM

Ebear

Ebear's picture

Speaker of the House
good

then you can shove the other one up ur poop chute!!!!lol

...check... G-AZ
3 years 50 weeks ago, 9:54 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
hamp

let me know when you get tired of having a heavy ass piece of steel hanging around your neck in a cheap piece of chinese nylon

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 49 weeks ago, 8:10 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State

Reaper308 wrote:
let me know when you get tired of having a heavy ass piece of steel hanging around your neck in a cheap piece of chinese nylon

The only comfortable way to pack an all steel 1911 is as an open carry sidearm......It's heavy and I don't care where the 'sling' is made, it is heavy and uncomfortable........You suck!

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:10 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Okay Reaper,

I will let you know.......Chinese nylon, Walther, I don't make the connection......Perhaps you could explain....

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:19 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense

uncle mikes

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:31 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
Touché

Touche

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:33 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
damnit

stop with the french

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:39 PM

HampsterW

HampsterW's picture

Secretary of State
My wife is Chinese,

so is my step son.........

3 years 50 weeks ago, 10:42 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
yep

they sure are

3 years 50 weeks ago, 2:25 AM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

I used to carry my BHP

in a shoulder rig during the winter here for several years,kept veering left,and i never carried it cocked and locked with the muzzle pointing straight back,which i could when i carried it in its Yaqi belt slide.

3 years 50 weeks ago, 2:55 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

im thinking about getting a sholder rig for this winter, and ideas

3 years 49 weeks ago, 6:02 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Galco Miami

shoulder holster,only way to go,with the magazine pouch on the other side,it's about 100 bucks but it is top shelf.Made famous in the TV show Miami Vice.

3 years 49 weeks ago, 12:50 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

lol thats exactly what i was thinking.

3 years 49 weeks ago, 11:10 PM

Yuma Jim

Yuma Jim's picture

Master Sergeant

of those Miami's. Never could get used to the horizontal carry though. Every time I leaned over, the holstered pistol would flop forward and scare me. If I tightened up the belt strap it would restrict my movement.......Too loose and it was hard to draw. If ya don't mind adjusting the strap to fit conditions it mite work....Lou Alessi @ shop.alessigunholsters.com makes about the best shoulder rigs (I have a Fieldmaster), but are expensive and there is a wait for them. (Tho there are 2 on Ebay right now! .........cheaperthandirt sells a military issue (1911/Beretta 92) for $30.00 if ya want to try a vertical carry cheap. Kramer, Bianchi, DeSantis, Akers, Safariland, Black Hawk....long list..........Almost forgot about Del Fatti....Very expensive. Try both horizontal and vertical carry before you buy....................Oh yeah..........Colt Lightweight Commander.......Best fightin' handgun ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 years 49 weeks ago, 12:56 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General

i have a galco pilots rig (vertical) but the barrel hits my cell and i dont wanna move it. i was giving the horizontal holster some thought. Although im worried my chest is to thin to hide a big gun.

3 years 49 weeks ago, 11:18 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General

This was back in the mid-1980's when I was working as a very much underpaid security guard. All I could afford at the time was an Uncle Mike's rig. I found it pretty comfortable. I carried it six nites a week. The load I used was the old "flying ashtrays". I would be OK with using that load now. The 1911 was one I'd built on a Caspian frame and slide, mostly GI parts, but a Pachmayr mainspring housing, a slightly extended magazine catch. I never had my hand pinched, so I never put a beavertail on it. A friend of mine adjusted the trigger pull to about 3.5 pounds, which was great. I carried it cocked and locked all the time.

If I were still carrying the 1911, I think I'd like to have a Miami Classic holster.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).
3 years 49 weeks ago, 12:58 AM

smithw45

smithw45's picture

Brigadier General
Miami it is lol

Miami it is lol

3 years 49 weeks ago, 2:09 AM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

if we're in the mid 1900's. But since we're not, gotta say the combat tupperware is where it's at.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 527 (1 member and 526 guests)
LLE

Users Active within the last 24 hours
LLE, captmax, nobile157, tallguy007, daisycutter, presslerms, jpdental, Caber, jay sedler, DEMO, Reaper308
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,659, Comments: 161,125, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity