Forums / Gun Discussion / Q. Where can I get US Military ammo, like M193 and M855?

5 years 27 weeks ago, 12:04 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Q. Where can I get US Military ammo, like M193 and M855?

Due to an Executive Order signed by President Clinton, the US military can no longer "surplus" ammunition, except via the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), and the CMP does not sell 5.56/.223 ammo. US military ammo (most notably from the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) used to be widely available, but has become quite scarce and the prices quite high, in the last few years. Though some military ammo components are "saved" by contractors disassembling the ammo and selling the components, most expired or out-of-spec lots of ammo are burned. Billions of rounds of ammo, paid for by US tax dollars, are burned yearly.

Small quantities of loaded ammo are occasionally available, usually at gun shows. This is either old stock from before the ban, police trade-ins, or stolen military ammo. The military has programs where it gives police departments surplus weapons and ammo and these departments sometimes trade this ammo to their ammo distributor for cash or other ammo. The distributors then make the exchanged military ammo available to the civilian market. Quantities are usually small and prices high.

Despite this, military specification ammo (Mil-Spec) is available to the public and can be obtained from a variety of sources.

5 years 27 weeks ago, 12:17 PM

samD

samD's picture

President
Green Valley, Free State of Arizona, United States

Thanks to Bill Clinton, the F****ing Idiot!
That's your and my $$ going up in smoke. Waste not want not!

5 years 27 weeks ago, 1:50 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
If you only knew...

The amount of waste that occurs in the army is mindboggling. As I have said, I secured 40 brand new colt factory 30 rd mags and seven GI back up iron sights from the scrap yard in Camp Warrior, Iraq. This is not much, but I also secured a ridiculous amount of equipment to supply the Iraqi police I was training. They were able to up-armor every one of their vehicles (Ford F250 and Chevy 2500, brand new, paid for with your money, along with the Glock 19s equipped with factory night sights) with the spare armor panels and machine gun mounts I got. I despise wasting serviceable equipment, food, and pretty much anything else of use, probably due to the financial situation and social status that I grew up with (Note: not all people who grow up with no money turn in to criminals. So much for using poverty as an excuse for criminal behavior, Democrats). But anyway. The amount of taxpayer dollars wasted that i have seen myself is shameful, and I don't even work around the expensive stuff.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
3 years 5 weeks ago, 1:46 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
M193&M855

you can find it lots of places and usually pretty cheap. There are 3 grades of ammo. 1st grade goes to Mil contracts. 2nd and 3rd are sold to the civilian market. These usually have not met gov testing standards but are still good shotters.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 5 weeks ago, 7:54 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
M855

The local PX has started selling cans of M855 rounds. 460 Rounds in stripper clips with speedloader, think asking price now is 160.00. I got the first can they sold for $106.00, they had mis-priced, and I bought before they caught. :)

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 5 weeks ago, 8:04 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
$54

You just earned that. Treat yourself to a steak dinner.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 5 weeks ago, 8:13 AM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
St.JMB

Saint J.M. Browning wrote:
You just earned that. Treat yourself to a steak dinner.

Nope, down payment on a new pistol. :)

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 5 weeks ago, 8:16 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
New Pistol

Good thinking. See that's my problem. I use my head last. I think with my stomach or my other head first almost all the time. lol

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 5 weeks ago, 8:03 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Ronin

Ha, got some back huh?

Natchezz has Lakecity on sale right now for some serious savings.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 5 weeks ago, 8:55 AM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
milspec

1. ISD beat me to it, NatchezSS sells both OP flavors and usually has good prices.

2. Very few of the 'milsurp' items are rejected lots of ammo, and even most of those are rejected to silly things like not enough green paint on the tips of the 62gr stuff or discolored cases. I've seen well over 10k of the XM193 go downrange with zero problems.

3. There are brands and types of 'Civilian' ammo that will surpass military ammo in almost any respect. Black Hills, Lapua and Hornady stuff can outshoot the military match stuff (hence the high demand for it's purchase via contract or COTS by .mil units), Federal's TBBC hunting round outperforms the Barrier Blind mil projectile in many respects, and Hornady's TAPT2 performs better terminally than any .mil product. The main things you get with 'milsurpy' ammo are----low prices, large quantities, and sometimes desirable features like lowflash powder, waterproofing, and staked primers.

4. Per my rep at Federal (ATK), the 'x' designation does NOT mean 'rejected lot'. It designates a special product for a specific market or customer. Ex: 9MS police 147gr JHP....a very humid state requests a gob of the stuff, identical except they want it loaded in nickelplated cases instead of standard brass....voi la, the X9MS contract load. ATK knows that 'milsurpy' stuff sells well, so they produce a similar or identical product, slap an 'X' on it, and you get near or equal milspec ammo (which as aforementioned may not be any better than commercial stuff).

3 years 5 weeks ago, 9:01 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
TXLG

Local rep?

I shot with Gary from ATK, Tampa, last Tuesday night. Hoping he will start doing it every week. For an Ex-SWAT Commander he was rusty as hell.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 5 weeks ago, 9:07 AM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
nah, national LE

I make it point to be as nice as I can to ammo reps as I can be, so that they will be patient with my stupid questions and our agency's silly purchase/bid requirements.

Hal Price at ATK is the guy I'm talking about; I've been to several classes he's put on, and he and I have also attended shooting/instructor classes together. He's one of the guys on the vids shown at www.le.atk.com. Super nice guy, no-BS, knows his stuff 360/365/24/7, and once again puts up with my queries. Unlike some other folks in the industry, a gentleman and a professional.

I'm one of the few active popo at IAA, so he gets a LOT of weird ammo-nerd questions funneled through me (think things like 'when did Federal change the shape of the 'm' on the case stamp of their commercial 9mm loads....).

3 years 5 weeks ago, 9:13 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

We all go to dinner after a shoot, pull five or six tables together and all hang for a bit. Some of the things he gets asked are a bit off but he smiles and rolls with it.

He actually was talking about a new Tactical Scope from Weaver which is entering the Market under the BlackHawk lable for the first year under contract. Supposed to be really nice and told us all to wait until Weaver releases it as it will be the same scope but not near the cost..

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 949 (1 member and 948 guests)
captmax

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,639, Comments: 160,780, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity