Forums / Gun Discussion / Question for Ruger 22/45 Mark III owners....

4 years 31 weeks ago, 7:38 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General

I haven't had the gun long (Haven't even shot it yet) but just handling it, I feel that the grips are too thin for me. The "grips" are molded into the polymer, so I'am at a lose on what to do......Any suggestions!?!

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
4 years 31 weeks ago, 1:23 AM

Anonymous

shak

see if Hogue or Pachmayr make a slip fit grip for it.

4 years 31 weeks ago, 8:13 AM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Thanks Greasy

I found some slip over grips, but that seems like it would mke it a pain in the ass to feild strip the gun (believe me it doesn't need any more help in that department) cause I would have to remove it every time. I was thinking of maybe modifying some 1911 grips, but not sure I want to drill holes in a new gun!

"Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red the white the blue.The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made, Don’t Tread On Me is what it says"
4 years 27 weeks ago, 4:08 AM

buckndoe

buckndoe's picture

Lieutenant Colonel

Not sure about grips for it, but I just bought one last week and decided to clean it before I shot it. Disassembly wasn't bad, putting it back together was a real pain. It took me two days to get it back together. First night I quit because I was getting pissed off and didnt want to break it. Watched youtube videos on it, what a joke those guns must have been apart a 100 times. Even watched Rugers video on it and ended up hitting the frame with a mallet to get the barrel back on but it wasn't working. Called Ruger, they told me I wasn't hitting it hard enough, Well they were right but scary hitting a brand new gun with a rubber mallet. Then it was still a pain getting the pin back up thru the barrel. Everyone tells me you do not have to clean a 22 often, just run a boresnake thru it once in awhile, and that they like to shoot dirty. Is this true or just said cause nobody likes to clean them? Did shoot it Friday night, shoots great and had more fun with it then I thought I would, never even took my Glock out to shoot.

4 years 27 weeks ago, 4:07 PM

Shakleford

Shakleford's picture

General
Thanks buckndoe

I haven't tore mine down cause I know it's gonna be a pain in the ass! My father in-law shoots his ALOT and only cleans his about twice a year and they work all the time!

4 years 27 weeks ago, 4:49 PM

ecaman

ecaman's picture

General

The only way you get comfortable with reassembling them is to do it over and over and over and over and ... you get the picture. When you're trying to put the pin from the backstrap back up through the bolt, hold the rear of the gun pointing down, so that the hammer falls where it's supposed to be. You can get it in wrong, but then you can't retract the bolt. Then you get to take it down again and retry.
One good thing is, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Everything wears in and gets smoother.
buckndoe, you can do as you like, but I personally clean every gun I have every time I fire it, even if it's only one round. That's the way I learned, and I still do it that way.
I once bought a Ruger Standard Model, 4 3/4" bbl, at a gun show run in conjunction with a trapper's show, out in the fairgrounds outside Guthrie, OK. This trapper guy was carrying it around trying to sell it. He said he kept it under the seat of his truck and only used it to kill what was in a trap. I couldn't retract the slide to save my life. I gave the guy $10 for it. I tried again when I got it home, with no luck. I gave it a good douche with Gun Scrubber, which didn't help. I then put it down in a 5 gal bucket, and immersed it in diesel. I left it for 3 days, and when I came back to it, I was able, with difficulty, to get it apart. I've never seen anything remotely resembling the way it was inside. I think the guy had bought it back in 1949 and never cleaned it, and only shot lead bullets through it. I took it down 100%, and scraped, scratched, brushed and cussed until I got it completely clean. The barrel was a son of a bitch. It had so much lead that you could barely tell that it had rifling. Well, when I finally got it clean, then lubed it and went to reassemble it, it almost fell together. The easiest one of these I've ever encountered! The thing actually shot pretty well, too, although I'm sure that it shot better before the barrel was totally leaded, then I scrubbed & scrubbed it with a bronze brush and WW II GI bore cleaner.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. (Mark Twain).

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 848 (2 members and 846 guests)
teko52, tallguy007

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,675, Comments: 161,414, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity