Forums / Gun Discussion / raging bull 444 in 44 mag

3 years 17 weeks ago, 3:37 PM

mainecathunter

mainecathunter's picture

Major

Thinking of a raging bull taurus 444 in a 44 mag. This is to accompany my winchester 94 ae. Will be trading my p239 sig in a 357 sig cal. ...Any thoughts on this....

3 years 17 weeks ago, 4:31 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
this is my setup

and i love it,same caliber for either weapon

My Marlin in .44 mag next to my Ruger.44 mag-bear hunting guns

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 17 weeks ago, 4:34 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

uhmm

that would be .44 magnum for each weapon,this is my bear hunting guns,minus the holster and brown pants.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 5:43 PM

Anonymous

Lbc

That is why you are the man! I love that setup and the particular guns. Man we have to get together and put down some pigs or whatever, we are not that far apart, well yes we are. But that is my cool too. We are already talking about another hunt in Texas next year and I hope it is near RandyMC or some of you other guys, just to join for a day even, or half. Somebody mentioned Odessa Texas, I do not know really where that is, or near anybody. But if reading Randy is it near you at all? JOhn

3 years 17 weeks ago, 11:36 PM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General
Odessa TX,

Is where I currently live. Vaquero was talking about a game preserve up around the caprock just outside of Lubbock near a town called Post. I currently live about 2 hours from there, but I am moving to back to East Texas at the end of the month. However, I still have my daughter here and will be coming to see her on a regular basis. I might be able to wing a trip to do the hog hunt at some point but it will probably be sometime after the summer. Besides, you don't want to be out here in the heat of the summer. July and Aug is usually so dry it makes Talcum powder look wet. And hot to boot. Of course that might be a good time to hunt them as they will be looking for food more than when it is cold and wet. I just don't know about a hunt this year, if not maybe the next year. Yea, I would love to go get a couple.

In edit, John, Odessa is roughly half way between Ft. Worth and El Paso. Midland is so name because it is literally the mid point between the two. Odessa is about 20 further West. Midland to Dallas Tx = about 4 hours (at the speed limit) and Odessa to El Paso = about 4 -4 1/2 hrs. Realize that Texas is a LARGE state guys. It is kind of funny, you can leave Waskom (on the Louisana/Texas border) Drive West on Interstate 20 then Interstate 10 for about 12 hours (including your fuel stops) and you will STILL be inside the State of Texas!

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
3 years 17 weeks ago, 5:53 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

well

i would really like a hog hunt in Texas,if i play my cards right it could happen.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 6:04 PM

mainecathunter

mainecathunter's picture

Major
hogs or bear.

Heyl we hunt em all. hogs in fl and bear in Maine. Not that far apart. One plane ticket and we are there. My good bud Brian is a hog agent in
Fl and I am a bear guide in Maine. we can get it together somehow... Ok so taurus in a 44 and a winchester 94 in a trapper model .....we good with that? I meet the guy in the morning to make the trade....

3 years 17 weeks ago, 7:22 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

good trade

i mean good deal.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 1:14 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

If not two...

She won't have a problem with it really, other than some advanced notice of when.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 17 weeks ago, 8:24 AM

TXLUCKYGUY

TXLUCKYGUY's picture

Major General
not Taurus

Have had a few Taurus revolvers and shot piles more....each one lacked the fit/finish/feel I expect, esp. in a large/heavy caliber.

The Taurus .44 I had shot screws loose after only a few rounds, and the other did the same to varying degrees.

I'd take a Ruger or Smith with me into the woods but not a Taurus.....a used Ruger Redhawk or S&W Mountain Gun would be a much better purchase in my opinion than a new Taurus. Same goes for many Charter Arms wheelies; great designs but lacking in quality/durability.

I wish Ruger or S&W would buy the rights to the CA .44sp Bulldog...either that or S&W needs to start turning out the 296, 396 Mountain Lite and 696 again.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 12:50 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

This new coating they are using chips and peals off the cylinders to the point I have had to run a stainless brush through them knocking it off and then on the face of the cylinder so that it doesn't stop the wheel from turning...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 17 weeks ago, 8:54 AM

RandyMc

RandyMc's picture

Brigadier General

guys, Lubbock is at the base of the panhandle of Texas. Please realize that until you have driven across this state, that MOST maps just don't do it justice. To try to give you a sense of how far it is. I live in Odessa, and my sister lives about 40 miles or so east of Birmingham Alabama. My Mother lives just outside of Tyler, TX and is roughly half-way between us. And it is almost all Interstate driving. When we all meet at my mother's house, my sister will make the drive in about the same amount of time as I do, depending on whether she has to make any extra stops. So if you plan on driving out here (Post or Lubbock), please understand that you are probably going to spend the biggest part of one day of your drive after you have crossed into Texas just getting there.

LBC you are coming from up north in Minnesota, so should you decide to drive, I would be looking at the quickest route to OKC, then from there take 44 to Wichita Falls. Take 277 out of Wichita Falls and go to Seymore. From there take US 82/SH 114 all the way to Lubbock or at Ralls take SH 207 to Post.

I can get phone numbers to whatever motels are there as an ex-brother-in-law is a pastor there in Post and I can get my ex wife, or my daughter to get them for me so that you can make reservations.

Those of you coming from the Florida area, I'm guessing would drive Interstate 10 to Houston. I would suggest that from Houston, you take I45 North to Dallas and catch I20 West to Sweetwater. About 10 or 15 miles west of Sweetwater, US 84 Goes NNW by Hermileigh, Snyder then into Post. Of course if you guys have a GPS in your car as most of us do, these days, you could just enter your destination as Post TX and follow the directions on it. I have given you what I believe to be the fastest routes to Post. But realize that Houston to Post or OKC to Post, is most of a full day of driving if not more.

Freedom ain't Free, so thank a Veteran when you see one. They are the ones who have protected the freedoms that you enjoy!
3 years 17 weeks ago, 10:52 AM

Vaquero

Vaquero's picture

General of the Army
hog hunt

I got sign up sheets from the biologist. I will scan and e-mail to anyone interested if you will PM me an e-mail address.
Lubbock citizen is 25 per day, Non Lubbock, Texas resident is 50. Out of state is 100. It might not be as good a deal as I first thought.
Let me know if you want a copy of the sign up, it has all the species, dates and fees listed.

PS. I will be on later Sunday. Hauling cattle the rest of the weekend. : )

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!
3 years 17 weeks ago, 12:54 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
I'll take two

Going to see if I can fly my son in from California to meet up with me at the Hobby Airport then a commuter to Lubbock.

I'll have to check and see what it takes here in Florida. They are such a pain and considered vermin so much it might not cost anything.

3 years 16 weeks ago, 10:17 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
Vaq

, you will have a PM shortly

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 17 weeks ago, 12:47 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

then drove out to Denver City Texas for a contract with an Oil Corp to setup wireless data communications from Pump Jack stations to the Main Compressor Plant.

Remember it well and also remember clinchie (spelling) I wonder if they used a jack hammer to get the mud off the wheel wells?

Now that was some serious work, climbing the towers sucked because the Air up at the top was just as hot as it was on the ground!

No, not really, it wasn't that bad but the metal was hotter than you really like to hang onto climbing up and down the damn things...

I had to drive all the way to NM just to get a cold beer at night... LOL

I was just south of Roswell on the Texas side of things.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 2:00 PM

sytasyn_syn

sytasyn_syn's picture

General

terrible trade. Taurus is terrible, sig is awesome

Be Kind and Courteous to All That You Meet, But Always Have A Plan to Kill Them -U.S. Marine Corp General-
3 years 17 weeks ago, 2:54 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

run with the Taurus

until it breaks,turn it in,their shop will tune it up and you will have a decent gun,lifetime guarantee and all.I'd go with a Ruger myself,wait....i did go with a Ruger.Okay well your pretty much fucked from here on out.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 3:08 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
trade

The average price for a new P239 is around $700-900 depending on options. The average price for a raging bull is around $550-650 depending on options. "Good trade" all depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Obviously they are completely different guns. If you don't use the Sig and find that you really need a .44 mag revolver, then it was a good trade. If you're looking at what the gun is worth, I would say that the Sig could sell for more.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 17 weeks ago, 4:21 PM

mainecathunter

mainecathunter's picture

Major

I drove for an hour, to meet the guy with the raging bull. He didnt want to trade when I got there. So I still got the sig 239, guess ill keep looking for that 44....thanks

3 years 17 weeks ago, 5:17 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

SIG guys

are attracted to shiny levers and buttons and switches and such....get a Glock...sorry had to go there.TXlucky was right,there are several good .44s DA that are not a Taurus.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 10:51 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Sig 239...

Advertise it the the local Flyer (Paper) not sure where you live. But I am sure someone up there will know exactly what you have and jump on it if it is very good condition.

Hell take it to the Lodge and put a card on the bulletin board. Sig 239 for sale $600.00.

Some long haul trucker would probably be interested in it and word of mouth gets around up there pretty good.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 996 (2 members and 994 guests)
nobile157, jay sedler

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,649, Comments: 161,028, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity