Forums / Gun Discussion / Range Report, 1911

3 years 17 weeks ago, 5:46 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General
Range Report, 1911

I have handled and shot a seemingly endless variety of 1911s---WW II Colts and those made by many manufacturers contracted by the miitary to increase the needed production during WW II, those issued to my National Guard unit circa the Korean War, and many more modern versions by newer manufacturers, up to and including this, the 100th anniversary year. During this year, I managed to try the 5" variety from Taurus, Springfield, Para, Kimber and SigArms [even S&W]. I freely admit that if you blindfolded me, I doubt I could tell one from any other, and I also admit I liked each one with an equal degree of undifferentiated lust. However, when it came to the shorter and more carryable [sp] versions, things changed a bit.
I think we pretty much understand that as the barrel length descends, the sight radius wants us to be better shooters, for the same relative degree of accuracy we got from the 5 incher. But it is more than sight radius that might provide a challenge--that is, there is an engineering challenge also---so the more clever the designer, the better the function and therefore, the better the relative accuracy AND reliability.
I must say, I am not a great pistol shot, but after trying the sometimes controversial "micro" 1911s, after being told by many that the Kimbers are the greatest since sliced bread, I could not confirm this. Not that the Kimber was bad or unacceptable [except for the Mickey Mouse disassembly/assembly procedure], but I found one that in my opinion, excels the beautifully constructed, eye-candied Kimber.
Ladies and Gentlemen---I present the Sig Sauer 1911, Ultra Compact. Smoother than a baby's behind, more accurate than any 3.3" barreled 45acp has a right to be, and easily capable of demonstrating Sig's claim of being READY, out of the box, without "break-in". Without exaggeration, it felt as though it was almost shooting by itself, with only a little help from me. Accuracy at about 40 feet---small holes were made bigger. Accuracy at the obligatory 7 yards against a man-target-- more deadly than I have ever been with ANY handgun using combat draw/presentation.
And NO--this is not a paid testimonial. I am frankly and absolutely astonished, and also very pleased. Maybe I will become a reasonably decent shot, yet.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
3 years 17 weeks ago, 6:35 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
good deal

great when a gun shoots well for you,escpecially with a 1911,i was probably shooting the same hand me down 1911s after the Vietnam war that you were issued.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 17 weeks ago, 6:36 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
LLE

Glad you like the sig. I have been a little less than impressed in dealings with a couple kimbers lately as well.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 17 weeks ago, 7:21 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
LLE

Good deal! I'm glad you like it so much. Might have to look into one myself.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 17 weeks ago, 10:39 PM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

have continued to sing the praises of Sig Sauer. I had never found one of their tupperware models to my liking ---not because of poor mechanical engineering, but because of [for me] not so good ergonomics. I haven't found one that felt good and secure in my hands.
But, as is said by many people, it is somewhat difficult to screw up a 1911, unless we are talking about inferior materials or poor tolerances/sloppy manufacturing.

I think Sig got this little version very close to perfect.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
3 years 17 weeks ago, 10:56 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Sig Sauer

I'm a die-hard 1911 fan myself, but I recently received a sig p225, and must admit that I love it. Just wish I had one in 45 instead of 9mm.

__________________ "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
3 years 17 weeks ago, 11:37 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

Re the p225-----Do you have exceptionally large or exceptionally small hands, and also does the grip feel secure??

3 years 17 weeks ago, 7:41 PM

ronin1604

ronin1604's picture

Lieutenant General
Hands...

Smallish hands, long fingers. Lol! In between a med and lrg work glove. Grip feels secure, but already looking at the hogue aluminum grips as a replacement. They are prob the ONLY thing about the 225 I'm not 100% happy with.

3 years 17 weeks ago, 9:37 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

I am certain I would have to be doing some home-styled human factors engineering on the grip. When I worked in military HF engineering, we referred to that kind of stuff as "knobology".

3 years 17 weeks ago, 5:23 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
LLE

just curious, which springer models did you try out?

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 17 weeks ago, 11:41 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General
Only the.............

RO and the 40 EMP. I thought the RO was great, but the EMP was difficult for me to manipulate because of the really strong spring.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1319 (0 members and 1319 guests)

Users Active within the last 24 hours
tallguy007, captmax, LLE, daisycutter, Pa Pa Tom, teko52
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,745, Comments: 162,426, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity