Forums / Gun Discussion / Remington 770 .30-06

3 years 17 weeks ago, 12:02 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
Remington 770 .30-06

Alright, I need some opinions. My son needs a new rifle. He outgrew his youth stock and I want to pick up a new rifle for his birthday in October.
Trying to be as discreet as possible a few months back, I had him look and hold some less expensive rifles. He really like the Remington 770 in .30-06.
I like Remington rifles myself, and this one seems decent, but elsewhere I have read bad reviews on it.
Has anyone here had any first hand experience? Are they worth $299? Or are they so bad it's not worth that.

Thanks. y'all.

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 17 weeks ago, 4:28 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
My 2 cents

Ok I check them ok for the pass 2 yrs read every thing to and lot of it was bad BUT might have got the bad reviews they sell them @ walmart ready to go out of the box just buy ammo scope it in got hunt. Try out the bolt and see if there is one u can shoot by you.You tube has A LOT OF VIDEO on every thing you can watch.... GREAT luck I also try the bolts on every thing I could get my hands on with out shooting them.Can you return it after shooting it?..............TY

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 17 weeks ago, 6:24 PM

VernDog

VernDog's picture

Captain
remington 770

Remington 770, although not an moa rifle, is out of the box a good starter rifle. It is cheaper due to the process of manufacturing. I don't ofcourse know the stature of your son, but sometimes 30-06 can be a little intimidating. Again, I don't know the caliber of your son's old rifle, but if after shooting a 30-06 he is comfortable with it, then for the price I would recomend the remington 770.
If price is no option, then I would step up to an moa vanguard.

3 years 16 weeks ago, 9:05 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
My son

He's 5'11 and 183. He can handle the .30-06. I've let him shoot my rifle. Although that is a gas-operated semi. And it shoots nice and soft. But he was shooting a light, single-shot .243 before. Thanks again.

3 years 16 weeks ago, 9:03 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
TG, VernDog

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I was reading the reviews myself. It was about half good and half bad. That's why I wanted to check y'all's opinion. I've handled one at the store. It felt like a low end rifle. I didn't really notice a real problem with the bolt manipulation. My opinion overall is that it seems that it is a decent rifle for what it is. A entry-level, out of the box ready hunting rifle. I think I will get him that. Probably the last one I get for him. From here on out, he needs to save his own money and buy his own.

3 years 14 weeks ago, 3:35 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
SJMB

Just came across these 770's and thought of you. I'm not sure on the going rate (I didn't price shop) but these are listed for $314.95 and come with a scope. A cheapo, but its a scope (might be worth the extra $15). They have them in 243, 270, 300win, 308, 7mm, 30-06

http://www.thegunsource.com/Search.aspx?SS=remington+770

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
3 years 14 weeks ago, 11:25 AM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
Reaper

Thanks for the info. I actually picked up one at Academy yesterday for $299. I'm still not convinced about it. The bolt is crap. Working it is very jerky and not smooth at all. I've found that it's better if you don't apply upward pressure while working it back, it's better. But that's a tough habit to break. I will shoot it a bit after I give it to my son on his birthday (Oct. 8) and report back.

Thanks again.

3 years 14 weeks ago, 12:06 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
SJMB

you could-a had a *savage*

hehehe

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 14 weeks ago, 12:11 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

General
ISD

I was really kicking that around. And, after working that bolt at the store, I would have preferred the Savage. But I've been trying to talk my son out of this and into the Savage or Mossberg, but he wanted this. He's almost 15 now and this is the last gun I'm buying for him, so I'm going to let him deal with the consequences of his choices.
And from here on out, he's going to have to save up his own money to buy one.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 621 (1 member and 620 guests)
teko52

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,690, Comments: 161,634, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity