Forums / Gun Discussion / Ruger SR-1911, anyone molest one os these yet?

3 years 24 weeks ago, 7:02 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Ruger SR 1911 looks like it will be a solid pistol. Wondering if anyone has checked on out in person yet and what their thoughts on it are?

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 24 weeks ago, 9:21 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
yes

i did,i like it,it would be my 1911 of choice actually now.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 24 weeks ago, 10:16 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
sounds Good LBC

Good enough for me, I'll pick one up for my next gun.

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
3 years 24 weeks ago, 8:01 AM

LLE

LLE's picture

General

This SR looks like a big competitor in the 1911 marketing wars, especially at a price point of $799.99.........All Stainless and all American made, with great attention to design and manufacture, as well as asking the customers what they want.
You don't have to be a genius to predict this one will be another winner for Ruger. I'm going to wait for the Commander/Officers model.

Too old to fight, Too old to run, guess that's why I carry a gun! "would someone show this asshole the way out of town".[Rabbi Avram Belinski-aka "The Frisco Kid"]
3 years 24 weeks ago, 5:29 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
gun show

june 14-15 tampa fairgrounds I have to save $money$ wish I hit the power ball so I could buy lol

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 24 weeks ago, 5:35 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
tallguy

have to let me know if your going for sure, I'll get with Donny and see if he is up for heading over and we can all meet up maybe?

3 years 24 weeks ago, 5:37 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
sounds good

might bring a chic thow as I go to the hard rock to lol email is dusels@msn.com

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 24 weeks ago, 5:42 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
good deal...

eh, nothing wrong with a lady being present. Donny can grow up for a day and act his age for a change.

3 years 23 weeks ago, 5:55 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

HST 200 grain
Seriously Hot 230 grain reloads
Competitive reloads 200 grain RFMJ with 2.5 g Clays. very soft, but hits major
Remington UMC 230 FMJ
Winchester PDX-1 Bonded HP

This is a very sweet shooting pistol which had little to no muzzle flip at all. The recoil spring is hefty true enough, but that just made it a flat shooter..

The only real complaint I had was the height of the sights. I like them lower to the slide and closer the the center of the bore. I will be getting one of these without question.

I also shot a Wildey .45 Winchester Magnum. That was one serious blast. 8 rounds at 25 yards and a 6 round group of 1.5 inches, with one of the flyer's 5 inches out and the other 2 inches out. Those two being the first rounds I squeezed off.

Once you have the gas port set to the load correctly this is a breeze to shoot. Though it is going to rise and you best hang onto it.

Next week Billy is bringing in his other one to let me try out. This is the .475 Magnum version which is supposed to be able to drop a Water Buffalo with one round. Dunno about that, not much thought spent on looking a Water Buffalo up to shoot it, besides the fact that I'm not so sure that discovering it didn't knock it down for good with one round is something I would want to find out either.

Kind of fun, Billy handed it to One Eye'd Bob to try. Bob lined it up and pressed the trigger and ended up stumbling back three steps with the pistol pointed at the ceiling. I think Billy should have given him a clue as to what it hit like...

Anyway, yes the Rugar SR-1911 is a definite keeper and serious shooter. I would carry it and bet my life on it...

3 years 23 weeks ago, 6:23 PM

tallguy007

tallguy007's picture

Lieutenant General
sweet

will have to look at one any price on them?TY

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
3 years 23 weeks ago, 6:30 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
$700.00

though I'm sure it can be found at a lower price in a couple of months.

3 years 23 weeks ago, 8:23 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
SR 1911

so the sites were an issue but they are replaceable,that should help,i'm from the school that any 1911 is just a good starting point,like a factory Harley anyway.I want one.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
3 years 23 weeks ago, 8:54 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Same here

The sights actually are high enough that if you put a slim Can on a threaded barrel you could use them. LOL

What I was thinking, Grips are fine, trigger is fantastic, grip safety engages every time and I actually have problems with some (Kimber) that do not have a speed pad on them and the recoil spring is the right weight to feed anything through it.

It could be fluffed and buffed a little if you really want a lighter trigger (factory is very smooth and have to be right at 3.5 lb, there is just a little side to side play between slide and frame but nothing really to worry about. But it could be peened maybe a 1/32 on each side to center.

I did get one stove pipe, but that was a semi wad cutter that was loaded almost 20 years ago by One Eye Bob. LOL Just because he wanted to see if it would eat those also, it did, except that one round. The rounds, now that alone is shocking, smoke, burning clumps of powder blowing out and it smelled like the Grease trap at a McDonalds that hadn't been cleaned in a year...

Like I said, I'll own one for sure and will do some tweaking to make it mine then hold it up against anything anyone has costing 3 times as much...

Ruger, got it very right....

3 years 23 weeks ago, 12:29 PM

Saint J.M. Browning

Saint J.M. Browning's picture

General
SR1991

I like Ruger. I like 1911s. Sounds like a winner. Perhaps I'll buy one "for my wife". :)

"I don't think Hank done it this way" - Waylon
3 years 20 weeks ago, 9:24 PM

CapnFestus

CapnFestus's picture

Second Lieutenant
good comments

I'm in the process of getting one ordered and in hand in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Captain Festus

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 999 (1 member and 998 guests)
teko52

Users Active within the last 24 hours
teko52, tallguy007, captmax, Caber, nobile157, jpdental, presslerms, gunslingercharlie, LLE
Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,654, Comments: 161,088, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity