Forums / Gun Discussion / Ruger SR-556 ?

5 years 31 weeks ago, 6:35 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General
Ruger SR-556 ?

So, I was looking at AR's today in the gun shop and went home to do internet research and found that Ruger has put out an AR! Maybe this is old news, but I didn't know about it. It's called the SR-556 and it is a gas piston and comes with 2 magpul magazines. Plus flip up combat sights and full rails. According to Ruger's website it's MSRP is around 1,995.00. More specifications from their website:

The Ruger SR-556 offers Ruger’s legendary rugged reliability while redefining the AR platform with piston driven performance. SR-556 rifles come feature-packed and pre-accessorized, and include the following:

** Chrome-plated, two-stage piston driven operating system provides improved reliability over gas driven rifles

** 4-position, chrome-plated gas regulator allows operator to tune rifle to specific ammunition or rifle conditions

** Chambered in the popular 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem., the SR-556 comes with 3 MAGPUL PMAG 30-round magazines

** Chrome-plated bolt, bolt carrier and extractor aid in performance and durability

** Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined Mil-Spec 41V45 barrel provides long-lasting accuracy

** Troy Industries Folding BattleSights are adjustable and co-witness with Mil-Spec optics so they can be easily removed to make room for high-power scopes

** Troy Industries Quad Rail Handguard provides rigid mount for piston driven transfer rod

** Troy Industries Rail Covers provide comfortable hold for unused Picatinny rails

** 6-Position Telescoping M4-Style Buttstock is collapsible and allows the length of pull to be adjusted from 10.25” to 13.50”

** Hogue® Monogrip® Pistol Grip with finger grooves provides comfort when carrying and shooting

7.29 lbs

Legnth 16.12 inches
Like I said this is the first I heard about it. It's interesting to me that it's gas piston operated. I'll try to post a picture of it. Has anybody else heard about this or actually touched one?

5 years 31 weeks ago, 8:02 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

catfish88

Looks like a great rifle and like you I had no idea that Ruger was making an AR to sale to. It looks very good and I like the gas piston system.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 31 weeks ago, 8:05 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General
Fordvg

Yea, I kept looking around and apparently it hasn't even shipped yet. Supposed to ship in June according to one site. I do like the fact that it has some nice extras, like the gas piston, hogue grips, flip up sights, rail system and magpul mags all standard. We will have to see how it all plays out.

5 years 31 weeks ago, 8:13 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

yes, very nice setup

Oh when you was asking about putting oil on your guns in gunsafe for long time. I don't put oil on my guns when I put them in a safe for awhile. Because the dust goes right to the oil on them. Done this for years now.

"WAR IS A RACKET, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle-man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the Bankers." Major-General Smedley Darlington Butler USMC Ret. 2 time Medal of Honor winner.
5 years 31 weeks ago, 8:22 PM

catfish88

catfish88's picture

General

Fordvg, oh, OK, thanks for the info on the oil. I'll just try to keep the humidity down in the safe to fend of rust.

5 years 31 weeks ago, 8:30 PM

fordvg

fordvg's picture

with the keeping the humidity down in the safe. I have had my Colt National Match AR-15 now for about 13 years now.

5 years 31 weeks ago, 11:35 PM

DEMO

DEMO's picture

Lieutenant General
Ruger 556

I cant wait to see one. Getting overly excited.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do
5 years 31 weeks ago, 5:05 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President

I've had two mini-14 ranch rifles and both were fucking garbage. Maybe it should read "better than Ruger's normally questionable reliability".

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 31 weeks ago, 3:33 PM

JohnnieBravo

JohnnieBravo's picture

Major

I give it 3 months before they have the first recall.

5 years 31 weeks ago, 5:08 PM

rounder

rounder's picture

Brigadier General
Yes...

Ruger has been notorious for recalls. But, hey...that says one of two things and maybe both. They either can't get it right the first time (maybe they rush guns into production), or maybe they are just one of few companies that give a shit enough to make things right.

I love Ruger products. I own a KP89DC, a KPMKII512, and 3 various 10/22's. I would not hesitate to own another Ruger.

My recco would be to wait a year and then reconsider the purchase.

5 years 31 weeks ago, 5:08 PM

runawaygun762

runawaygun762's picture

Vice President
Recalls

are a liability issue. They don't necessarily give a shit, they don't want to get sued. Ruger 10/22's are nice, and the pistols I've fired have been good, but I've had nothing but bad experience with the Mini-14 and mini-30.

"I have always been a soldier. I have known no other life. The calling of arms, I have followed from boyhood. I have never sought another." From The Virtues of War, by Steven Pressfield.
5 years 31 weeks ago, 9:42 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
I agree

with mini 14 being POS's... but most rugers are pretty decent

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
5 years 29 weeks ago, 6:40 PM

Derecho

Derecho's picture

Major
Hmmm...

Im a big Ruger fan, P95 owner and I really want a NRA mini-14 (mainly because I love anything that resembles an M14).

But doesnt it seem a bit pricey for your first AR? For that price there are too many other proven guns. Good looking gun though.

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 716 (0 members and 716 guests)

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,690, Comments: 161,634, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity