Forums / Gun Discussion / Shot Show 2011 - Are You Attending? Share Your Past Experiences.

4 years 16 weeks ago, 10:13 PM

admin

admin's picture

The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show and Conference (SHOT Show) is the largest and most comprehensive trade show for all professionals involved with the shooting sports and hunting industries. It is the world's premier exposition of combined firearms, ammunition, archery, cutlery, outdoor apparel, optics, camping and related products and services. The SHOT Show attracts buyers from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. The SHOT Show is owned and sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and is produced and managed by Reed Exhibitions.

This year the Shot Show will be held in Las Vegas January 18-21,2011 at the Sands Expo and Convention Center.

Do you plan on attending? Share your past experiences and other Gun Show experience.

4 years 16 weeks ago, 10:55 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
SHOT

I'll be there. I know of a couple others that will be attending as well.

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 16 weeks ago, 1:40 PM

mattitude

mattitude's picture

Brigadier General

I wish I could attend, but don't have any credentials to show I'm in the shooting/hunting/LE industry so I'm a no go

"...one is allowed to resist against the unjust aggressor to one's life [...] even 'til the aggressor’s death. In fact, this act is aimed at preserving one’s life and to make the aggressor powerless. Thus, it is a good act" - Thomas Aquinas
4 years 16 weeks ago, 12:29 AM

KS101010

KS101010's picture

Colonel
I wanna go!!!!!

I wanna go!!!!!

4 years 16 weeks ago, 1:45 AM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
I'd like to attend

I'd like to attend, but with the travel and costs I couldn't justify it not being a vendor or a buyer...

Guess some will have to wait for the photo's and reviews...

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 15 weeks ago, 9:40 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
SHOT Show

if anyone has a request to check out a particular exhibit or look into a new product, let me know

"Proelium Comminus Auctoritate" "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash."
4 years 15 weeks ago, 3:29 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

Secretary of the Treasury
Reaper

I'm interested in the FN Herstal line,Keltecs shotgun,Magpul,Vickers tactical,and Glock,as in what do they have to say about the changes made on the Gen 4,and whats coming out.Also,How about any new lasers coming out,seems Crimson Trace has the competition beat so far,Ah hell,its to much to ask,just grab a video camera and start shooting.check out Rugers new bolt action Scout .308,see if you like it.Send me a poster with some scantily clad chickie holding a Glock,or grab a crack whore off the street,and take her picture,i'm not real particular.

i tried being reasonable,i didn't like it, NRA LIFE MEMBER,USMC VETERAN
4 years 15 weeks ago, 4:50 PM

kronz1

kronz1's picture

Sergeant Major of the Army
Shot show

I will probably be down at the show Friday to check it out. The few that I have been to in the past were a blast.

Sarcastic people are just misunderstood.
4 years 15 weeks ago, 4:54 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
LBC

I will be visiting all of those exhibitors and quite a few more. I wish I could stay for all 4 days, but it looks like I'll have to stick around here for a couple more days... meaning I'll only catch the last two days of the show. I can defenately get the crack whore pics, but getting them into the show may require some of snake's sneaking skills... do you prefer blondes or brunettes?

4 years 15 weeks ago, 5:48 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

any

chick with hair will do,i wish i could get down there myself,but then i would miss out on all this frozen fun......

4 years 14 weeks ago, 11:25 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
LBC

FNH was cool, but I didn't see anything new. Just fondled a bunch of cool shit. Magpul, didn't see anything new either. Didn't go to vickers. Glock was glock.... but I did see gunny there. That was cool.

Kel Tec shotty was pretty sweet. They had 4 of them lying around to play with. One had a vertical grip on the front, which balanced it out nicely. It felt like a really solid shotty. With a 18.5" bbl and OAL around 26", its really compact. The dual tubes with 14+1 capacity are a really good idea. They said the MSRP is going to be around $880, so take that for what its worth. They will be offered in 3 different colors and should be out shortly.I would really like to shoot one of them.

The Ruger gunsite scout rifle felt really nice as well. The action was smooth. It was a little on the heavy side, but had a really nice wood stock. It had a rail that was positioned farther forward like all scout rifles, and had a 10 rnd box mag. I didn't get a price on it. I would like to play with it as well.

Fail zero is using its exo/utc technology to offer a special coated glock (slide and a few other small parts) and another Mhandgun &that I Pwas asked not to mention yet. After checking out their BCG's, those things are nice. They will run a little more that the BCM's and DD's etc..., but one of the fail zero guys said that he's going on 6k rds in his personal rifle with no lube, and no malfunctions yet.

Clint will have to chime in on the lasers. Not sure if he checked out crimson trace, but he found an IR similar to a DBAL from Laser Devices that will be available to the civilian market. That sounds cool.

I was only able to go for 2 days. I wish I would have had more time

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:16 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
SHOT show

LBC,
I was there for the first 2 days. Overwhelming to say the least. Magpul had a basic booth, nothing you would not see at a good gun store. Like Reaper said, Glock was Glock. The whole experience was pretty cool, some nice vehicles, some booth babes, (Lucy Pinder was there for those that care). Dillon Aero had 4 or five mini guns. Laser Devices is offering a civilian DBAL. The IR laser will be a class 3, I think >5MW. I would have to check, the production manager told me they would start around $800. But that could change. FAB Defense had a nice stock with a recoil spring and adjustable cheek piece.
One of the items that has me interested was a charged top rail. There was a magazine holder similiar to Blue Force Mod Gear that was attached to the top rail and could hold a battery pack of 8 AA batteries to power the top rail. This is designed with the future soldier in mind. As more and more soldiers become reliant on electronics, this manufacturer took the idea one step farther and energized the top rail with what he is proposing to the military for their battery pack. So in essence, the soldier would carry a pack for his weapon, his communications, and a spare or two. The packs are designed to fit in the magazine pouches the soldier wears. An ammo magazine can fit into the battery "mag well", but a the battery will not fit into the rifle mag well. The company had adapters similar to what GG&G or LaRue sells for mounting optics, with the exception of two copper contacts on the bottom of the m to attach to the rail. These adapters would them draw power from the battery pack and power the optics, flashlights, lasers, NVD, thermal, or whatever. This makes the PEQ-16 a much better idea, because you do not have to consider battery life as prevalent as you would with the CR 125.
I was a little disappointed with the way FN conducted themselves. As soon as I asked a question about the FNX (Reaper has a hard on for these pistols, so I had to know why), they started their sales pitch. Even after I told them I was a guest, they brought out another guy, sales manager for the west coast or something to try to sell me the weapons. I was also disappointed that they did not have the grenade launcher for the SCAR.
HK had the M25. If you had the patience, there were opportunities to try out simulators, i.e. electronic ranges in several different booths.
Over all it was a cool experience, I was expecting more bubbas, you the type, "I own a gun so I can kill everyone I do not like". But for the most part I was surrounded by Professionals. It was nice.

clint

p.s.
I am sure there is way more, but I am still experiencing information overload...

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:46 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
clint

Did you see the 7.62 CM901 at Colt? They had the deployment case with 3 uppers, optics, Pmags... screw the FNX, I have a hard on for that.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 6:44 PM

luckybychoice

luckybychoice's picture

as the Gunny would say

"outfuckingstanding",thanks for the input,damn i'm jealous.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 11:44 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Did you happen to see or hear anything about Sig working on coming out with an actual AK rifle?

The 556 shares a bolt and carrier with the AK, but an actual AK format rifle?

No sir, he fell into that bullet... Never argue with a stupid person. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!
4 years 14 weeks ago, 7:41 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
SHOT continued

Reaper,
I did not get the opportunity to speak with anyone at the Colt booth, but the CM901 was a neat looking weapon. I do know they are in production, but as to what capacity I am clueless. They were always occupied, and time being a valuable commodity...
Ishootdaily,
Sig was another booth that I did not get the opportunity to speak with anyone. I did not see an "actual AK" in the booth, but let me make some calls, I might be able to get more information.

clint

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin & Hobbes)
4 years 14 weeks ago, 10:07 AM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
Ishootdaily

I did not see or hear anything about a Sig AK

4 years 14 weeks ago, 12:22 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
Thank you Reaper

I was reading a web publication and the guy makes this statement.

01/24/2011 The Kalashnikov's Missing Link " At SHOT, I saw almost as many AKs as M4 clones. Along with a copy of the M4 and 1911, SIG is coming out with an AK. Even those who have denigrated the AK are realizing that whether they like it or not, the AK is here to stay.

Which is kind of a reach for the official title of * Captain Obvious *

Which got me wondering what the hell Sig would do making an AK when they already use the Bolt and Carrier from the AK in a better weapons system. I would like to see what they could do with the overall design of the AK, I bet what they came up with would be outstanding...

4 years 14 weeks ago, 12:33 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
Interesting

I saw some Sig 516's (M4 variants), but nothing on the AK platform. I don't think they had any out on the floor, unless I just missed them. Both times I was at Sig, Max Michel was giving pistol shooting seminars on a stage, so it was pretty hectic. Either someone at Sig revealed to that author that they had plans for an AK, or I just missed it.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 12:55 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

Hell the 516 is pretty sweet, very compact, though I've seen two with drop in Timney Triggers get a continuous series of light primer strikes. It seems Sig has a nub at the front of the trigger channel which stops the hammer from dropping full force...

Very sweet weapon though.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 4:42 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
ISD

I spoke a buddy of mine that spent the whole time at SHOT. He talked to the guys in the SIG booth and is not sure of the AK SIG you are talking about. He said they had a 556 that accepted AK magazines, but the fit was sloppy and the mags moved around in the well. If you are looking at trigger groups, you might check out Giesselle (SP?). They are releasing new triggers at the end of the quarter.

hope that helps, I will keep an eye out for the AK variant, in the mean time, check this out:

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/magpul-mag-k-001
http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/brainchild-magpul

clint

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:21 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
very sweet

Looks to be one sweet assed keeper to me..

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:17 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General

As I stated, information keeps coming in from the show. DPM Systems Technologies have come out with a mag plate for breaking glass: http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/car-glass-breakers/

What do you guys think of this?

On a side note, Crye Precision had a booth, first time I have heard of them, but that was a reoccurring theme...
They have a mag holder that is attached to the outside of the magazine and has 2 "dog ears" to attach to the loops sewn into the chest rigs. I thought they were neat as you do not need to have pouches on the rig, thus saving weight. They had the same setup for chest rig pistols. Not sure about the security of the holster, but it was a good idea at the show. The system I described is not in their catalog, nor on the website. But it has some nice stuff: http://www.cryeprecision.com/home.aspx

I also found out that MagPul "scaled down" their booth this year because in the past they would advertise something in their catalog that was not in production, but people would constantly call to inquire about the product because they saw it at SHOT show. I was told to check their website for new products and sign up for their newsletter. I think their new catalog has something similar written in it as well.

clint

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:23 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

going to pass the info on the Paul and see if he wants to put in for it's acceptance at Saint Petersburg PD...

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:23 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
clitbo

that mag floor plate for crushing skul...ah, breaking glass is sweet. kind of like the meat tenderizer AR stock. good stuff. My gerber knife has the handle end similar to that for...breaking glass.

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:25 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General

I keep my shorty baton handy which has a carbide tip on the butt. Back in 1984 I had to get through a window and paid heavy for back fisting it...

LOL, only once...

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:30 PM

CharlesW

CharlesW's picture

General
Live in the wilderness, Republic of Texas, United States

I went to the hardware store and bought an
automatic quick punch. The spring load will
break any car window if you punch it in a bottom
corner and the glass tumbles down instead of
flying everywhere.
I learned this from the Fire Department.
I keep my punch handy in my console.

A little rebellion is good medicine for the government Thomas Jefferson
4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:29 PM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
Troy Navstock

Troy Industries had some cool new stuff. Not sure about this in the real world due to ruggedness...

Photobucket

http://troyind.com/%20/anew-products/troy-nav-stock

but I can see an application...

clint

4 years 14 weeks ago, 3:33 PM

Ishootdaily

Ishootdaily's picture

General
dunno about that...

kinda like the steering wheels with all the electronic controls in them. neat, handy but.... hehe

4 years 14 weeks ago, 4:03 PM

Reaper308

Reaper308's picture

Secretary of Defense
Kellan

I met with the Pres/CEO of Kellan. They are coming out with some really cool remote operated tactical lights, wireless video surveillance, thermal sights/scopes, smart targets etc... He just sent me an email with products and pricing, if anyone is interested, I can forward it on. It looks like their websites are still under construction as its a new company, but you can still get some info from them. He gave me a demo of a pretty cool remote light on an AR with the switch button on the grip. It was water submersible (and the remote operation still worked while submerged), very bright (I think 400 or 600 lumens) and cheaper than most surefires.
www.kellanonline.com
www.komakonline.com

4 years 13 weeks ago, 10:53 AM

clintlebo

clintlebo's picture

General
Troy Navstock take 2

Could this idea be the infant of future weapons? It has a GPS that can be used for tracking the user. Could there be something in the works to have an electronic kill switch to keep the weapon from being used by the enemy?

Do I sound like snake?

clint

4 years 13 weeks ago, 2:40 PM

DollPartzz

DollPartzz's picture

Major General

No, but I did see some great guns online and you tube from it. The Kel Tec KSG being beautiful with that seemingly knock me on my ass impression. I love Tactical...also from Colt the Colt SCW-Sub-Compact Weapon rifle 556/223 Rem with folding stock/collapsible shortened M4 10.3 in barrel. Also from Colt CM901 308 version of an AR 13 in barrel ambi mag release, adaptable to 55.6, full auto (not for civillain), all of these have great mounts for optics.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”-Albert Einstein
4 years 10 weeks ago, 8:52 AM

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA

RETIRE-IN-ARIZONA's picture

Colonel
SHOT SHOW VEGAS

AH, The place we smoke our cigars and smoke our credit cards!!

Who's Online

Guns Lot Activity
Users
Currently Active Users: 1151 (1 member and 1150 guests)
cbxjeff

Guns Lot Statistics
Stats Topics: 8,752, Comments: 162,480, Members: 23,517
Welcome our newest member: Hank6046

Recent Activity